Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF? Tesla gave my car away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email this morning with the subject "Confirmed: Model 3 Delivery Appointment" for my delivery appointment this Wednesday (Oct 17th) at 2pm at the West Palm Beach delivery center for my performance model 3.

I've been hounding Tesla for my bill of sale (I called the delivery center as recently as Wednesday Oct 10th) because my bank won't send the check until they have that and now we're 48 hours from my delivery date. So I called the delivery center again and they said they show that I'm not even matched to a VIN.

I informed them that I had been given VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF056242 on September 28th and they told me they delivered that car to another customer.

I already purchased car insurance for that VIN. The bank has that VIN. Now I have to start all over with all that and who knows when they'll even assign me a new VIN (or if they'll actually give me the car for the new VIN and not just give it away to someone else with zero communication. Again.)

This is my 3rd Tesla. Delivery has never been this big of a cluster. I don't even have a delivery advisor (that I know of) this time. I'm just dealing with whoever picks up the phone when I call, and clearly no one is ever going to proactively reach out to me when things change. This is absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email this morning with the subject "Confirmed: Model 3 Delivery Appointment" for my delivery appointment this Wednesday (Oct 17th) at 2pm at the West Palm Beach delivery center for my performance model 3.

I've been hounding Tesla for my bill of sale (I called the delivery center as recently as Wednesday Oct 10th) because my bank won't send the check until they have that and now we're 48 hours from my delivery date. So I called the delivery center again and they said they show that I'm not even matched to a VIN.

I informed them that I had been given VIN 5YJ3E1EB3JF056242 on September 28th and they told me they delivered that car to another customer.

I already purchased car insurance for that VIN. The bank has that VIN. Now I have to start all over with all that and who knows when they'll even assign me a new VIN (or if they'll actually give me the car for the new VIN and not just give it away to someone else with zero communication. Again.)

This is my 3rd Tesla. Delivery has never been this big of a clusterfuck. I don't even have a delivery advisor (that I know of) this time. I'm just dealing with whoever picks up the phone when I call, and clearly no one is ever going to proactively reach out to me when things change. This is absurd.
That’s screwy!! I am not applying for my financing till as late as possible lol

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

This is my 3rd Tesla. Delivery has never been this big of a clusterfuck. I don't even have a delivery advisor (that I know of) this time. I'm just dealing with whoever picks up the phone when I call, and clearly no one is ever going to proactively reach out to me when things change. This is absurd.

I know this is very frustrating. I also can see why Tesla doesn't normally hand out VINs until a few days before delivery. I'd be guessing but think the car with the VIN you were given back on 9/28 wasn't going to reach you in time for end of 3rd quarter and someone else with that configuration was closer to it and it could be delivered in time so it got reassigned. While I can understand Tesla's point of view in getting as many cars into waiting hands as possible as soon as possible, when people are going through financing and need a VIN for their paperwork, this definitely causes a lot of extra work for a lot of people. For our Model 3 we paid cash so didn't have this issue, and when we financed our MS last year things weren't crazy and hectic as they are now. Having gone through the order-to-delivery checklist on my Model 3 and final delivery on the third try at scheduling, it definitely has been more stressful this go around. Nonetheless I am happy to have the car and not be in the waiting line any longer.

• Informative
Welcome to the club. It's not fun.

Hope that means you didn't give up yet. I was wondering where things stood with you. I had read your posts about some other guy with your last name some how getting your account and probably the car you would have had assigned to you and saw the modified more recent thread you started. Despite all that people are going through, owning the car and driving it is worth the ordering/delivery confusion.Production is still going full steam ahead according to the news stories on VINs that are being pulled for Tesla this month and hope your wait isn't much longer.

• Informative
I'd be guessing but think the car with the VIN you were given back on 9/28 wasn't going to reach you in time for end of 3rd quarter and someone else with that configuration was closer to it and it could be delivered in time so it got reassigned.

It's the failure to communicate the VIN reassignment *at all* that is the real problem. I'd gladly take delivery in December (when my Model S lease is up) but the only vague control over my delivery date I had was my order date. If they want to play accounting games with the quarter ending that's fine, but don't give me a VIN and then give the car to someone else with zero communication.

• Informative
...on September 28th and they told me they delivered that car to another customer.

You were a victim of the Q3 push. Someone must have been able to either pay full in cash or had no-hassle financing lined up for a guaranteed signed and executed MVPA/sale before the Q3 deadline.

Pretty sad and disgusting on Tesla's part. And my theory is, it's going to happen again as we get towards the end of the calendar year, even more so with the $7,500 Federal Tax rebate halving.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
They did away with delivery advisers. Rather than being assigned 1 person and have a point of failure, everybody that answers can help you now. Did they assign you a new VIN?

I was wondering about that. I had to decline a delivery at the end of August due to unmovable travel dates and for that I had a specific guy I was communicating with via phone and email. My last communication with him was in early September. Never heard back from him and eventually I called the 1-888 number. No VIN but confirmed 'no problems with the account' and I should get a delivery by the end of October.

The next day I got a call from the Service Center and suddenly I had an appointment and then the MVPA showed up in my account with a VIN. Today I e-signed it (delivery is for 30 OCT).

However, no point of contact via e-mail, no individual who seems to be shepherding the process etc. This was making be a bit anxious as it wasn't what I was expecting or similar to the first delivery attempt. If it's the new normal that is reassuring.

At this point though I'd be furious if my VIN number/car disappeared like the OP's did. I just signed a contract (MVPA) very clearly for a specific car and to have it sold elsewhere is unfathomable to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt