Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X App Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon literally killing Twitter :rolleyes: Destroy the brand, kill the company valuation, lose half the ad revenue, then change the name. Genius at work.

You're losing sight of why Elon bought Twitter in the first place. He literally bought it for a set of users to help seed X. It doesn't matter if, in the short run, Twitter loses 90% of their advertisers and 50% of their users. Having some pre-existing user-base to jumpstart something brand new is pretty valuable:

Heck, look at Threads. Do you think they would have had millions of users sign up on launch day if it wasn't tied to Instagram?

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I am a Tesla investor but unfortunately I keep having to pay attention to Elon and Twitter/ X and the likelihood of Elon having to sell large amounts of Tesla stock.m again.
I turned on my radio this morning to a national ESPN sports radio show, and they started talking about Elon of Tesla fame, changing the name of Twitter which they use a lot, to X. Then they say that videos on Twitter will be called X videos which lead them to saying are these “X” rated videos, or next XXX videos etc. they all thought rebranding to X was a stupid idea. Arggh

I am a Tesla investor but unfortunately I keep having to pay attention to Elon and Twitter/ X and the likelihood of Elon having to sell large amounts of Tesla stock.m again.
I turned on my radio this morning to a national ESPN sports radio show, and they started talking about Elon of Tesla fame, changing the name of Twitter which they use a lot, to X. Then they say that videos on Twitter will be called X videos which lead them to saying are these “X” rated videos, or next XXX videos etc. they all thought rebranding to X was a stupid idea. Arggh
Trust me, X rated (think onlyfans) is coming.. no pun intended. The only thing that brings me pause on that vs. 3-10 months ago is the new CEO appointment. I can’t suss out whether she would be onboard with that type and category of product, lets call it allowance.

The Twitter bird is relatable for many people, while the X logo looks like it has been designed for a deodorant spray for young men.
Would anyone entrust a company like "X", run by Elon Musk, with money transfers or sensitive data? I most certainly wouldn't. I don't even remotely like the idea that one company would basically hold all my data and my money.
Moreover, why should people who are using Twitter to voice their opinions also use them for any other services. Twitter hasn't even identified their users to KYC standards. Any attempts to start payment services on that basis would be killed by the regulators.

• Funny
Reactions: InDaClub and JRP3
I'm sure they looked into this before making the change, and it will be interesting to see what happens legally.

"There's a 100% chance that Twitter is going to get sued over this by somebody," said trademark attorney Josh Gerben, who said he counted nearly 900 active U.S. trademark registrations that already cover the letter X in a wide range of industries.
Microsoft since 2003 has owned an X trademark related to communications about its Xbox video-game system. Meta Platforms - whose Threads platform is a new Twitter rival - owns a federal trademark registered in 2019 covering a blue-and-white letter "X" for fields including software and social media.

I'm sure they looked into this before making the change, and it will be interesting to see what happens legally.

"There's a 100% chance that Twitter is going to get sued over this by somebody," said trademark attorney Josh Gerben, who said he counted nearly 900 active U.S. trademark registrations that already cover the letter X in a wide range of industries.
Microsoft since 2003 has owned an X trademark related to communications about its Xbox video-game system. Meta Platforms - whose Threads platform is a new Twitter rival - owns a federal trademark registered in 2019 covering a blue-and-white letter "X" for fields including software and social media.

The obvious question is: if hundreds of companies own the trademark to the letter X, why haven't they sued each-other already? I know most will have non-overlapping domains, but if there are literally hundreds, then surely there must be some overlap.

And the obvious answer is that nobody can trademark an English letter. They each own trademarks to their respective X logos. I don't think many customers are going to get confused between these:

1690313856355.png