Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X driver's door auto open and close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery today, As soon as I got it in my garage, I turned off the auto presenting door. It works fine but quickly became a royal PITA, opening and closing every time I walked past the car in the garage. Otherwise not a single issue, so far. It is an absolutely amazing car.

Just took delivery today, As soon as I got it in my garage, I turned off the auto presenting door. It works fine but quickly became a royal PITA, opening and closing every time I walked past the car in the garage. Otherwise not a single issue, so far. It is an absolutely amazing car.

I had the same problem, plus it would open as I approached and I would have to close it to get past and then open it again.

I'm sure they will fix that with an update.

There's nothing to fix. It works fine. There's no way for it to know your intention is to walk past the car rather than get in. When you're out and around it's cool, but in the garage or any place where you are working around the car it drives you crazy. You should have seen it during the delivery as 3 of us were walking around the car. I thought it was going to wear the hinges out.:smile:

There's nothing to fix. It works fine. There's no way for it to know your intention is to walk past the car rather than get in. When you're out and around it's cool, but in the garage or any place where you are working around the car it drives you crazy. You should have seen it during the delivery as 3 of us were walking around the car. I thought it was going to wear the hinges out.:smile:

It's the same with the handles on the MS. If I don't ditch the fob in the house, every time I pass - present, hide, present, hide. I get the feeling that this is a feature I'll disable at delivery, even before walk-through.

It's the same with the handles on the MS. If I don't ditch the fob in the house, every time I pass - present, hide, present, hide. I get the feeling that this is a feature I'll disable at delivery, even before walk-through.

It would be cool if it could use the GPS location for auto-awareness somehow. Or a easy shortcut to enable or disable the feature. I always wanted some kind of pulldown menu where you could customize shortcuts to various features and options.

I was instructed at delivery to play catch with my doors around curbs and poles, because they would stop once they hit something (a bit late).

jmwang, would be curious to hear your experience on this issue after a few months.

We picked up 002009 this past Saturday, and my wife immediately identified this issue. The upshot is that if we ever park in a situation where an obstacle, say a rusty pole, is next to the passenger-side front door, but not in front of the passenger-side FWD, then unless my wife gives extremely explicit instructions to the passenger to fight the door, then the passenger will carefully pull the door latch, then be utterly mystified when the door flings itself open and strikes the pole anyway. Short of fighting the auto-open mechanism, how do we stop the door from hitting the rusty pole?

We had a technician out on Sunday (unrelated issues), and he confirmed that in that scenario, the door will indeed touch the pole and likely scratch the car's paint. He said the door has a resistance sensor, but by then it's too late. In some ways this is worse than the FWD's irregular-obstacle problem, because FWDs are understood to have an automatic opening mechanism (so you'll probably check the surroundings before pressing the button), whereas passenger doors are usually pushed open by the occupant (so you'll expect to stay in control through the whole opening event).

It seems that the front doors should include ultrasonic sensors as well, or at least give us the option to turn off the auto-open feature entirely.

It seems that the front doors should include ultrasonic sensors as well, or at least give us the option to turn off the auto-open feature entirely.

We can turn off auto-present, which I've done since delivery. However, we cannot turn off motorized open. I'm assuming this is what you're talking about? It would be nice to have an option which tells it to only pop open a couple of inches anytime the handle from inside or outside is activated.