Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid - can I not open or close doors via the Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model X a few weeks ago and am learning the amazing features.

Can I use my Tesla app to open or close the doors? I don't see the option on the app. Yet, I saw this video on YouTube. Help!!

I go to App > Controls > but I don't see options to open/close the doors.

Ok. I kinda figured it out. I guess I have to be within “Bluetooth distance” from my vehicle for the app to show the open/close options.

First screenshot is when I’m not within Bluetooth distance and other is when I’m closer to the vehicle.

Mystery solved! 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_8109.png
    IMG_8109.png
    431 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8110.png
    IMG_8110.png
    436.8 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: towndrunk
Thank you. I guess I have to be within “Bluetooth distance” from my vehicle for the app to show the open/close options. I thought I could use this function from anywhere (e.g. I could be in a restaurant or at the office).
This happens to me sometimes even being next to the car. I just close and relaunch the app(iPhone) and the door controls are visible again.

Reactions: singleview
Thank you. I guess I have to be within “Bluetooth distance” from my vehicle for the app to show the open/close options. I thought I could use this function from anywhere (e.g. I could be in a restaurant or at the office).
I don't think it has anything to do with Bluetooth, but you do have to be close to the car, based upon comparing the GPS location of the car, to that of your phone. Tesla thinks it is a bad idea to operate the doors, when you are not near enough to see it.

I don't think it has anything to do with Bluetooth, but you do have to be close to the car, based upon comparing the GPS location of the car, to that of your phone. Tesla thinks it is a bad idea to operate the doors, when you are not near enough to see it.
Got it. I remember in my 2016 Model S, I was able to unlock or lock the car from anywhere with the app. I guess technically, one could still lock/unlock using the app from anywhere for the ever 2023 Model X too. Just not open/close the doors until you’re close.

Ok. I kinda figured it out. I guess I have to be within “Bluetooth distance” from my vehicle for the app to show the open/close options.

First screenshot is when I’m not within Bluetooth distance and other is when I’m closer to the vehicle.

Mystery solved! 🥲
You can actually be a little further away than BT range. I have noticed that if I had a line of sight to the car, the arrows will pop up. Sometimes I have been nearly 100 feet away and it works

• Helpful

Mystery solved! 🥲
I love the ability to open and close the doors but hat's exactly what I discovered when I took a look at the Controls view on the app away from home versus away from home. Still a cool feature. Love our Plaid Model X!