Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Radio Interface in my new 100D is AWFUL - or am I doing something wrong??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla owner - I just received my new Model S 100D last week. I have XM Radio, and the interface is just not there...
I can only tune one station at a time. There is basically no interface for channels, categories, browsing, etc...
What’s the story...?

Take a look at the thread XM radio - newbie question where some of these issues are discussed. I have XM on both my Model S and Model X and since version 8.0+ when the user interface was changed I too have some of these issues, although they come and go. Currently everything seems to work, except there is no provision for directly accessing a channel (which is not part of the new UI).

For cars built since 8.0 was release (almost a year ago), Tesla broke something in that release that is preventing the media player from collecting station information from XM and populating the categories/station list.

And, in the great wisdom of Tesla's software team, they decided to also remove the station slider from the XM radio interface in 8.0, which forces you to single step through stations, rather than quickly moving to a new station number like you can with AM or FM.

Tesla has known about this bug for almost a year. Since receiving our S 100D, the service center has tried several times to get our XM radio working correctly. They were able to get it working once - but within 24 hours, we lost all of the station information - and haven't gotten it back again.

For now, some recommendations:
  • Bring an XM station listing in the car - XM sometimes provide these, or you can print it from their website. This will make it easier for you to find specific stations. Another option would be to store the XM station list in the car's browser. But that browser is so, so slow, it's really not that useful - and a paper copy may be better.
  • For stations you listen to frequently, store them as favorites - so you can quickly jump to those stations. And if you periodically listen to live sports broadcasts - set a favorite for the first station in the block of channels for the type of live sports you want - so you can quickly skip to the first station in that block, and then single step from there.
It's surprising that Tesla has been unable to fix this problem - it's been almost a year. Along with the multiple bugs also introduced in the USB media player in 8.0, the 8.0 media player is a significant step backward in usability compared to the 7.x release we had a year ago.

[You also used to be able to change the media player source from the right scroll button on the steering wheel - they got rid of that in 8.0 too, along with introducing the auto-hide toolbar on the console display, forcing you to use an extra screen touch in order to even get to the point where you can select the media player icon.]

• Informative
Reactions: croman
[You also used to be able to change the media player source from the right scroll button on the steering wheel - they got rid of that in 8.0 too, along with introducing the auto-hide toolbar on the console display, forcing you to use an extra screen touch in order to even get to the point where you can select the media player icon.]

I have found that moving the navigation to the bottom of the screen and placing the radio or?? on top will keep the tool bar from going away.

As far as XM. My Channel / Category list seems to come and go. Yesterday it WENT! after being there for several weeks. Who knows how long if ever it will take to come back.

The 8.0 software developers evidently assumed most drivers tie up 1/2 of the console display by constantly showing the media player interface - which would explain why they didn't believe changing the source selection with the steering wheel scroll bar was important, or that the extra touch to re-display the console tool bar was a big problem.

But if you usually show the map full screen (which is what we typically do) - 8.0 is a step backward.

Some of their design changes in 8.0 really raises the question if anyone is looking at the usability of the user interface, instead of focusing mostly on how the interface looks... Especially for an interface that may be used by a driver, while the vehicle is in motion. the number of screen interactions should be reduced - not increased, to minimize distraction for the driver. And the changes made in 8.0 seemed to completely ignore usability (remember - they even removed the first letter scroll bar in 8.0 - before quickly putting it back...).

xm radio sound quality is horrible. dont bother. tesla shldnt either. but i bet xm pays tesla to include the hardware to try to preserve shrinking audience

I've not had that experience. In both my Volt and my Model S the sound reproduction over XM seems quite good to me. *Note both cars had / have upgraded sound. My Volt had the 9 speaker Bose system, and my M/S has Ultra Hi-Fi Sound. Perhaps my ear is not discerning enough? but I can play XM signals at stupid volume levels as well as cabin conversation "background music" levels and it seems crisp and clear.

That said, due to all the other available streaming options in my Model S I might drop my XM simply due to cost / value when other options exist in the car. Still on the fence though as out here in rural AZ. Streaming is hit and miss at times. where XM reception works anywhere the car can see the sky.

Last edited:
The XM radio quality in our two Model S cars appears to be fine - we haven't noticed any problems, except for the normal signal loss when we're under something blocking access to the satellite (overpass, building, heavy rain, ...).

For us, the primary reason for having XM is getting access to live programming - national news channels or live sports broadcasts - which are not easily available through streaming sources.

For music, I'd agree, XM doesn't provide much benefit.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
Thank you all for the advice, very much appreciated.
Wow, you’d think for $120K+, Tesla would fix these issues. Sure never had this Sirius/XM issue with any of my other cars...
Kinda disappointing...I thought Tesla was a way more thoughtful and service oriented company - they sure claim to be.

Agree with others that XM sound quality is terrible. Maybe I’m just oversensitive to overly compressed audio... but there’s only so much you can do with less than 64kbps.

In any case, the XM interface definitely seems to be an afterthought currently. I’m sure a big part of this is that it isn’t even available on all cars (requires sunroof + premium audio package), and even then, is only used by a small percentage of owners.

All that said, they sold it. Thy should fix it/make it not suck.

Better audio systems or different car audio system tunings can reveal the nature of the XM sound quality. I’ve had XM since the beginning in a number of cars. I like the selection and just ignore the sound quality. It isn’t horrible it is just compressed and sort of has a distinctive tone that you can learn to ignore..until I picked up my A8L a couple years ago with the tricked out audio. I got in the car, turned it on, tuned in an XM station, fastened my sealtbelt (don’t judge), unfastened my sealtbelt, turned off the car and handed the keys back to the dealer. I told them that I got a defective sound system and they needed to fix it! Turns out that for every other source, the system sounded fantastic, as long as the source material was fantastic. Otherwise, not so much. I’ve done sound engineering so have at least a small measure of experience in this and admit to maybe being a bit sensitive. The sound in my P90D for XM was about par for the course. Not great but also not noticeably tinny or muffled as you sometimes hear. I have always imagined that the SEs when tuning systems to interiors often put in their uncompressed Mahler or Hootie or WFAN (AM) and make it sound best for that and the rest...not so much. I’m sure it isn’t really the case but the same source in a different car can go from horrible to meh to good to great but a different source will differ in different ways.

Hmmmmm, maybe too much caffeine. Sorry for a long winded response....