Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xmas Hit & Run > TD Insurance > Excellence Auto Scarborough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the D's out there; short and sweet version:

Dec 23, 2018, Xmas party, hit and run witnessed by two friends. Police, TD, and Excellence involved. Car is fixed after 30 days and almost like new? (My mind thinks there's more wind noise now). No cost to myself.

Here are the details:

Driver side door was slammed into by a Black SUV while backing out of the opposing driveway. Two friends just arriving heard the noise and tried to wave the driver out to get him to inspect the damage. Guy and SUV sits there a bit and then swerves around my friend (who went into the road to wave him down) and drives off. Both my friends happen to catch the plate and texted me.

I immediately called the vehicle collision hotline and they said I had 24hours to report the incident and file a police report. We continued to enjoy the party as the damage is cosmetic.

Next day, I filed the report and then called TD to report to the hit and run on a municipal roadway. They assigned me to an adjustor (1st guy) who never got my name right or the car model right. I emailed TD and said F that, he is incompetent.

"I am leaving the car at Excellence Auto and getting a rental, please send someone else to Excellence to inspect it."

Estimate from Excellence came to ~3300. TD adjustor estimated at ~3500. Pretty similar and a vote of confidence of Excellence's honesty and brand.

At the drop off, I asked for a Tesla and Excellence said none were available so they set me up a White Audi A4 (was not impressed, my 2018 Civic felt smoother and had better audio). Halfway to work, Canada Rentals called and said they found a Model 3 and they'll deliver it to my work and take the Audi back (Yay!) This turned out to be a Black DM3 with EAP (stealth maybe?). The home location was somewhere in North York, I suspect this may be a Turo car? Anyways, a blast to drive!
upload_2019-3-15_11-37-20.png

All throughout January, I kept track of the 3LR using the mobile app and see it moving inside and out of Excellences shop. Shows progress!
upload_2019-3-15_11-33-24.png

But ultimately after two weeks, they came back to tell me that the repair was not possible, a new door panel need to be ordered from Tesla. I communicated with TD regarding this as the initial $5K rental limit was reached, they informed me that they located the offending vehicle by the license and charge the status of the claim (forgot the term) but there was no limit on the rental at this point. This black model 3 costs ~300 a day! That's why I was concerned after two weeks.

The final two weeks was Excellence waiting for a door seal (face palm). Final bill came to ~4300 from Excellence. My estimate of the rental cost = ~300 x 30 days = $9000!!!! Holy smokes! Whoever did the hit and run - their insurance is taking a hit; karma.

Moral of the story, take care when operating a motorized vehicle!

This would have likely been reported to CarFax, meaning your resale value would have definitely plummeted. Body shops order parts based on your VIN, which immediately gets recorded to the system... Unfortunately in Canada we don't get compensated for depreciated value in an event of a not-fault accident (at least not enforced by law). If you plan on keeping the car for its life, then you would be fine, otherwise you'll take a hit on resale...