Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL on new AP2 model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard from a few Japanese pro installers here that usually they use precut with some customizations to wrap some edges. But not all edges are wrapped, because some edges cause XPEL to peel off if XPEL is wrapped around. In such a case, the film ends exactly on the edge.

My X is getting full XPEL with four seatbacks and rear tire houses near the FWD. Costs approx $8k.

For paint protection film, the installation is a direct result of experience. There are many things to watch for:
1. Is the company you are using outsourcing the work to another company? If so, essentially you are paying a markup for it.
2. How long has the company been doing this type of work? Do not rely on just them telling you xyz years. Very often, you would just need to google and find the real start time of a company by their postings on automotive forums.
3. Pricing will vary from one state to another. Cost of doing business is a large factor here. Consider the cost of living say in San Francisco is much higher than another city that is 200 miles away.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what to watch out for.

Vendor - Paint protection film - the difference at premier

**Try to look at the installer's work in person. Photos are deceiving and most of the time installers are taking pics from 5-10 feet away from the car.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Just got a quote for my MX from a certified XPEL dealer in the Boston area.
  • Standard kit option which covers the full front bumper, partial hood and partial fenders is $995
  • Standard Plus kit includes full front bumper, full hood and partial fender for $1,395
  • Full Front kit for $1,995. With this kit they wrap the entire fenders, hood, front bumper, mirrors and headlights. This kit allows them to tuck the seams of the hood and top of the fender into the body lines allowing an almost invisible install.

Reactions: Brnz
I did Xpel Stealth everywhere, except for the top panels and the side ones next to the glass, where we did the clear.

I also did the seatbacks which looks awesome.

I had him apply the matte film on the chrome handles, which adds a really cool muted metal look and hides the fingerprints, but he was concerned about doing the rest of the chrome trim out of fear of cutting the window gaskets and the complex crease by the side-view mirror.

I've read a bajillion posts on films and coatings and noticed that most folks advocate film as protection against rock chips, presumably from freeway driving. For that reason (and to save money), many people do front-only partial covers. But I drive mostly on secondary roads and don't have many chips even after 10 years. Are front films less valuable for suburban speeds? How does film do in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? If I'm going to invest in film, I'm wondering if I should be focused on the side of my car instead? To protect against runaway Home Depot carts, uncaring Escalade drivers, or even just miss-judging my garage entrance, versus the less likely flying freeway rocks? For what it's worth, no matter what I do about film, I'm definitely going to do a coating, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts.

Thanks!

I've read a bajillion posts on films and coatings and noticed that most folks advocate film as protection against rock chips, presumably from freeway driving. For that reason (and to save money), many people do front-only partial covers. But I drive mostly on secondary roads and don't have many chips even after 10 years. Are front films less valuable for suburban speeds? How does film do in a parking lot against an adjacent car door? If I'm going to invest in film, I'm wondering if I should be focused on the side of my car instead? To protect against runaway Home Depot carts, uncaring Escalade drivers, or even just miss-judging my garage entrance, versus the less likely flying freeway rocks? For what it's worth, no matter what I do about film, I'm definitely going to do a coating, because carwash swirls and bird poop drive me nuts.

Thanks!

Obviously, you need to research your options and products, and make you own determine what protection you think this investment in a Paint Protection Film (PPF) will provide to ally your concerns.

Up front, I started looking for just a front bra for highway chip protection, since I had several after just a few years of minimal long distance travel on my Cayenne. Eventually I sprung for the entire car being covered since I fell in love with the matte finish of Xpel Stealth (see my profile pic), pricey, but I get so much satisfaction just by looking at it, the protection is just "icing on the cake"... literally.

A minor car door or shopping cart collision, if not too hard, is usually no match for the PPF, nor is bird droppings or car wash swirls (self-healing properties). And should there be permanent damage to the PPF (so unlikely) which protected the paint, there is a good chance it would have definitely damaged the paint if not for the film. This is the real benefit, cause it costs a small amount to replace that segment of film compared to the cost of a repaint, however I doubt insurance will cover the film cost, but then again with deductibles as they are, it will still come out of your pocket.

Put it this way, any superficial permanent damage to the film that does not extend to the paint is a much cheaper cost, since removal of the film reveals a factory-fresh paint job.... bumpers, bonnet, sides, roof, etc.

I am a solid believer in PPF now, and in my case, if the next owner does not want the matte finish, I simply remove the PPF and it's a factory-fresh paint job.

Just be careful and shop around, as I had quotes for the same job ranging from $3500 to $8000.

Reactions: hiroshiy