Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL on new AP2 model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I just had XPEL installed on only the hood of my MX as the installer cut his finger badly finishing it up.

I am concerned that with all of the new sensors that even though cutting the film around exposed sensors. There are ultrasonic sonar in parts of the car I'm not exactly sure.

Has anyone asked their service center?

Thanks!

Really? I thought it was better for them to cut on the car because you avoid alignment errors and the wrap goes around the edges for a seamless install? The cutting happens in the panel gaps for the most part so pretty safe... I think?

No, alignment shouldn't be an issue with a proficient installer. The ease of mind for the owner is greater with pre-cut kits, as they don't have to cut circles out of the film for the sensors. They're also precisely done on the plotter to avoid an oval or uneven circle around the sensors. With pre-cut kits, they allow for the edges to be wrapped. At our XPEL install centers we only do pre-cut kits, unless we're doing a hood and sometimes those are "bulked." That is only due to the hood being 100% wrapped on all the edges on applicable vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Really? I thought it was better for them to cut on the car because you avoid alignment errors and the wrap goes around the edges for a seamless install? The cutting happens in the panel gaps for the most part so pretty safe... I think?

This is true for vinyl wrapping, you want to have it cut on the car for seamless install. However, xpel is a clear film and you will not see the seam. All edges are wrapped around the panels with a pre cut kit. The xpel is a lot harder to cut and trim compared to vinyl. Cutting xpel on the car is very risky in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Not sure about your XPel installation, but not all of my edges are wrapped. For example, most corners have a small cutouts, mirrors are not wrapped and both bumpers are not wrapped (eg under headlights). I'd be curious to know if others have the same installation.

My installer is doing my car at my house with the xpel kit now, here is a picture at the edges.

IMG_20170105_114752.jpg

There is a big difference between a precut and a properly installed custom trimmed/wrapped installation. Master installers can cut on the vehicle with no risk for damage of the paint.

Here is an example of a complete wrapped edge, precut leaves this corner completely exposed to the elements and damage.

Custom trim/wrapped on top edge/ vs. precut on bottom.

Tony%20Model%20X

Attachments

• IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Anyone have an idea if partial wrap is good or do most recommend a full body wrap. Unfortunately I have limited amount of places that do XPEL and of that only one does fill wrap so I think he's charging more maybe then he should. He quoted me around $2800 for a full wrap. I'm getting quotes of $1200 for partial that includes hood, bumpers, rocker panels, mirrors. Any thoughts on what is best way to go

Anyone have an idea if partial wrap is good or do most recommend a full body wrap. Unfortunately I have limited amount of places that do XPEL and of that only one does fill wrap so I think he's charging more maybe then he should. He quoted me around $2800 for a full wrap. I'm getting quotes of $1200 for partial that includes hood, bumpers, rocker panels, mirrors. Any thoughts on what is best way to go

We recommend getting the most coverage that fits your budget. In California expect to pay $1800-2200 for a full frontal Xpel wrap, meaning the full hood, full fenders, bumper and mirrors. You can definitely find cheaper, but with clear bra you really do get what you pay for. I'd recommend looking into the shops installations and seeing work in person first before making a decision.

I'm not too far from you, would be happy to help you out and point you in the right direction. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email anytime 760-815-5933, [email protected]

Sorry it's not letting me edit. I tried to quote the post about full wrap for 2800. I would definitely be cautious with that price
Yea I was initially, but on XPEL site he's listed as factory trained and one of two people that's able to print the cut out directly meaning there other guy that's factory trained does it manually I assume. This guy also said they did a MX black matte full body wrap too so I was thinking maybe it is legit.

I've seen his work on his Facebook page on other cars and it does look pretty good.

I have used an Xpel guy before who put the precut on my S and left blade cuts. He was factory trained by Xpel, but still managed to do some damage to my car. I'd caution anyone looking into this. I ended up going to Premier in Fremont who did it right for me on their 1st try. I wouldn't use anyone else.

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately Xpel cannot screen out all the bad apples. So going by whom is "Certified" isn't the best bet, often times these courses are no more than a couple day training where everyone gets "certified" at the end. It takes many years and the right skill set to be able to perform exceptional clear bra installations.