Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel XR Prime Plus vs Spectra Photosync

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off. I wanted to give a huge shout out to Premier Mobile Group for the quality of their workmanship, customer service, knowledge of tints and films, and overall excellence of their shop. Dave from Premier is incredibly personable, and follows up. It definitely worth the multi-month waiting list to get an appointment.

Now on to the product comparison.

I had Xpel XR Prime Plus ceramic 70 installed on my Pearl White PUP back in January on the front 3 windows for heat rejection. The ceramic film is crystal clear. I have not experienced low sun angle haze. The film color is more in the gray tones. No rainbow effect with polarized glasses.

Just finished getting Spectra Photosync 70 installed on my Midnight Silver Metallic PUP also on the front 3 windows. Similar to Xpel XR Prime Plus, the Spectra Photosync 70 is crystal clear. So far no low angle haze or graininess noticed. The film color has more of a pronounced blue hue viewed from the outside. No rainbow effect with polarized glasses.

Both films do an excellent job with heat rejection. You would probably need calibrated measurement equipment to tell the difference in heat rejection. My goal was not to feel burned on road trips and lower inside temps when parked in the sun. Both films do the job. They both carry lifetime warranty. It will really come down to long to term test to see which ages better. The installer network for Spectra Photosync seems to be much more limited. However, the vast Xpel network seems to have a ton of quality variation.

Last point of reference is Huper Optik we have installed on our home. Huper Optik seems to have the best performance and optics. The temperature rejection seems the best among the films using the hand test. However, this could be due to the 90 degree angle vs the sloped angle on MY PUP. It also almost creates and HD like effect on the windows.

C20A440F-7763-4F9C-AF29-35C2A7BB3594.jpeg
648CF51F-D512-420B-87C7-196AD9BB3AAA.jpeg

Reactions: vtplm
I have Spectra Photosync 45 on the front two windows and 70 on the rear three windows of my MYP. It's the best performing film on the market and has been for at the last 6 years. This is the second vehicle I've had Photosync installed on.
I am looking into getting Spectra Photosync applied on my LR MY, any reason why you didn't do the glass roof?

I am looking into getting Spectra Photosync applied on my LR MY, any reason why you didn't do the glass roof?
I didn't tint the glass roof for a couple of reasons. 1) I haven't had MY for a full summer so I didn't want to commit to tinting the glass roof without understanding the intensity of the sun first; 2) I've heard by many tint shops that the glass roof is susceptible to cracking when tint is applied.

I need more time to determine next steps.

I have seen this mentioned in other posts, going to speak with someone this week about it.
Just to be clear, the glass isn't susceptible to cracking just because film is placed on it. It can crack because of the rapid absorption of heat and the heat having nowhere to go. Some have had no issues; however, others have not been as lucky. I suppose you can purchase or fashion a sun screen for the glass roof if you'd prefer a risk free option.

Just to be clear, the glass isn't susceptible to cracking just because film is placed on it. It can crack because of the rapid absorption of heat and the heat having nowhere to go. Some have had no issues; however, others have not been as lucky. I suppose you can purchase or fashion a sun screen for the glass roof if you'd prefer a risk free option.
I'd want a permanent solution I can forget about so a sun screen would won't work for me. I'm also in the north east with garage parking so tints may not be needed at all, just evaluating options.

The sunroofs of the Teslas have an IR blocking coating that is extremely efficient at blocking UV and IR. Adding a layer of window film won't result in a noticeable difference. Don't confuse this with the side glass and back glass though. The factory darkened glass does not have that same coating as the roof does.

The sunroofs of the Teslas have an IR blocking coating that is extremely efficient at blocking UV and IR. Adding a layer of window film won't result in a noticeable difference. Don't confuse this with the side glass and back glass though. The factory darkened glass does not have that same coating as the roof does.
Actually, I believe that was removed since people complained the roof looked reddish when wet etc.

Getting warm here(90s) and I definitely cant wait to get it tinted.

Last edited: