Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New iOS Shortcuts support - How to use if you have more than one Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm excited to see that the Tesla App now supports iOS shortcuts. Finally, I can ask Siri to precondition the car.

But what if you have more than one Tesla? How do you specify which car the shortcut would apply to?

For example, I can make a shortcut to precondition the car, but I don't see a way to specify which car to precondition.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this in the Shortcuts app.

Anyone know of a way?

Or am I stuck using some other solution that requires 3rd party software/service?

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was excited about this myself but have the same problem - there doesn't seem to be any way to configure which vehicle you want to talk to. Must be "last selected" like the share sheet extension. Bummer! Guess I'll have to keep maintaining my Homebridge plugin for Siri.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I love the shortcuts as well, but we need a bunch of "get" shortcuts, like get the battery percentage, get the interior temperature, for example. I created a shortcut that will set the temperature to 21C and vent the windows. I activate this one stop on my train commute prior to my stop. I used to open the app, hit vent buttion and then turn on climate. I'd like to further explan to based on my geo location (2nd last train stop) run the shortcut automatically if the interior temperature is above xx C... All I do now is say "Hey Siri, cool Tesla."

It's a great start, and hopefully expand with new versions of retreiving information.

If you don't have Apple Shortcuts on your iPhone, you can download it here:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/shortcuts/id1462947752

Attachments

• IMG_08BEE4DA28FB-1.jpeg
    IMG_08BEE4DA28FB-1.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 181
How do the Shortcuts work to use them through Siri? For years we've been able to say "Unlock my car" or "Lock my car" to Siri & it would perform that command through the Tesla app. So what's special with the new shortcuts?
There are several third party apps that previously worked with Apple Shortcuts to use voice commands. AFAIK there was not previously any way to do this native within the Tesla app. It first appeared in 4.24.0. So I am assuming you have been using a third party app if you have had voice control of your Tesla.

There are several third party apps that previously worked with Apple Shortcuts to use voice commands. AFAIK there was not previously any way to do this native within the Tesla app. It first appeared in 4.24.0. So I am assuming you have been using a third party app if you have had voice control of your Tesla.
I use no 3rd party apps. This has been part of the Tesla app since 2017. That's where I'm confused about all the excitement about Shortcuts & I'm trying to understand what is new...

Reactions: gaswalla
I use no 3rd party apps. This has been part of the Tesla app since 2017. That's where I'm confused about all the excitement about Shortcuts & I'm trying to understand what is new...
I had never heard of this and Tesla never announced it. Did it work reliably for you? Does it still work for you? What else can you do other than lock/unlock? In the video in the Elektrek article you linked to, he showed some things working but a lot of misses.

I just went and tried a “Hey Siri unlock my car” and she responded with “your car from which app?” And when I selected Tesla, she said “something went wrong.”

I am excited about the new capability Tesla has announced because everything I have tried has worked every time. But as the title of this thread is about how to make it work with multiple Tesla’s, I am hopeful that capability will be added soon, or we just have to figure out how to modify the Shortcuts script.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I had never heard of this and Tesla never announced it. Did it work reliably for you? Does it still work for you? What else can you do other than lock/unlock? In the video in the Elektrek article you linked to, he showed some things working but a lot of misses.

I just went and tried a “Hey Siri unlock my car” and she responded with “your car from which app?” And when I selected Tesla, she said “something went wrong.”

I am excited about the new capability Tesla has announced because everything I have tried has worked every time. But as the title of this thread is about how to make it work with multiple Tesla’s, I am hopeful that capability will be added soon, or we just have to figure out how to modify the Shortcuts script.
Unlocking works very reliably. I use it fairly often when I run down to the garage but don’t carry my key fob. I can also flash the lights, honk the horn, and lock the car. But I’ve never really used those functions other than testing them today to see. In the past 5 years with our S I don’t think I’ve really had any failures of the Siri commands.

Reactions: Bigriver
Hi,

I'm excited to see that the Tesla App now supports iOS shortcuts. Finally, I can ask Siri to precondition the car.

But what if you have more than one Tesla? How do you specify which car the shortcut would apply to?

For example, I can make a shortcut to precondition the car, but I don't see a way to specify which car to precondition.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this in the Shortcuts app.

Anyone know of a way?

Or am I stuck using some other solution that requires 3rd party software/service?
The command works on whichever car is currently selected in the Tesla app, so the app has to be open and running.

Dumb question, but are you using an iPhone or something else? As far as I know, this had never been native functionality in iOS until now ( I have definitely tried)…maybe it has always been on phones running android?

Last edited:
  • Disagree