Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y ordering in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I am, just curious!
that I noticed on the Tesla Website, you can order everything else or reserve, but nothing with a Y which I would have thought odd as that I thought was next to go to production. and LHS might already be in production.

Any Ideas as to why people cannot order a Y for the UK yet?

you could not order an M3 in the UK until May19. it launched in the US in July17 so nearly 2 years later . So it is not surprising that you cannot order an MY yet it will probably be more than a year before it arrives here.
I am sure they will open up reservations at at some point to gauge demand but some MY reservation will represent an M3 not sold so why encourage people to hold out for an MY when you can sell them an M3 today.

As Elon said recently, European Model Y's will be made in Giga Berlin and I would suspect we won't get any American made RHD versions as the factories will be working flat out to fulfil all the American Model Y orders. I would be very surprised if the Giga Berlin factory is built as quickly as Giga Shanghai so expect orders to open in a year or so with deliveries the year after.

Reactions: ringi
As Elon said recently, European Model Y's will be made in Giga Berlin and I would suspect we won't get any American made RHD versions as the factories will be working flat out to fulfil all the American Model Y orders. I would be very surprised if the Giga Berlin factory is built as quickly as Giga Shanghai so expect orders to open in a year or so with deliveries the year after.
Just checked. You can place a MY reservation in Norway but not in Australia. Kinda supports the theory.

I don't see many people holding off on buying an M3 due to cybertruck or roadster so this kind of supports my point. Allowing reservations for those is more of a publicity stunt than anything and does no harm.

Yes this is it, people who pre order a Y might be put off thinking it will arrive sooner and put off a potential order for a 3 where as the cybertruck and roadster are in different categories by far