Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD or Model Y LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm new here and am about to order a company car and am faced with the decision between these 2 models. My kids have left home however we do occasionally go on holiday as a family but the main use is for work. My office is 180 miles 1 way and I'm likely to travel most weeks. Work does have some chargers which is useful.

In terms of lease the Model Y is an additional £80 per month versus the Model 3, which is the recent model aimed at business customers. The M3 has a claimed range of 374 miles and the MY 331 miles.

In most reviews it appears the MY is not a great ride but has great space and the M3 is better to drive and has a better range although I cannot find many reviews of this 2023 model.

Any thoughts would be greatly received.

I have an old Model 3 Long Range. Ride is hard compared to a new Model Y.

Model 3 Highland should be better ride (assuming not the old Model 3).

It may be semantics, but "The M3 has a claimed range of 374 miles and the MY 331 miles" - it's testing done to a standard. The UK/EU standard is optimistic, Tesla have no choice but to quote this figure. Personally, I've found that the US EPA range is pretty close to real world. I don't know if M3 Highland (M3 Plus) has an EPA range figure yet, but look at Model Y and dial down by same percentage compared to UK standard.

Cold wet air is harder to slice through (often claimed it's the battery, it isn't the biggest factor on a long run in the cold).

Slow traffic (UK) and the range goes up.

Electric cars can accelerate quickly without too much lost range, it's high speeds in cold and rain that make a difference as EVs are already so efficient. Whereas ICE (petrol/diesel) suffer when accelerated hard. Speed makes a difference (square rule thingy) but people don't comment on it.

Use ABRP to plan journeys, compare cars and check for charging options along the route. Change temperature & weather in advanced settings if you want.

180 miles must take a fair few hours (especially if rush hour features), so a break for toilet & a coffee probably no harm. I personally find driving an EV much less tiring and can probably do 50% more for the same level of fatigue. I often get to the other end feeling much fresher.

As for company car, is the £80 post or pre tax? Salary sacrifice would mean that would be an even lower figure.

I have a M3LR, as MY wasn't available. If I was deciding now, I'd choose a Y as it suits my lifestyle better. M3 has big storage but a small entry compared to Y. RWD is still good in wintery conditions, but AWD is a little better. Plenty of people in Norway & Canada chose RWD.

In my and many other people's opinions, any EV beats an ICE car. Much better in every way except maybe for range. But every morning, the car is fully charged, defrosted, warm and ready to go. Use app to defrost car for return trip, avoid scraping windows & get away before the crowd.

When I was an ICE car road warrior.... I often had to fill up the fuel tank at the end of the return trip (ready for the next day) and it was often a miserable experience. EV so much more civilised.

Never go back, never surrender!

The above is an incredibly thorough post and even copyrighted.

I would only add that you must take a test drive. If you do a lot of motorway driving, and it seems you do, you could well be put off by the noise and dynamics of the 3 and Y and prefer a German car. My recent previous purchases were German, my next car will be German again, and those manufacturers assume their customers will be commuting at 100mph+ and design their products accordingly. They are assured and quiet.

By comparison even the Model S is feels unsettled at speed, flighty even on poor tarmac, it's unacceptably loud for what the press touted as a 7er or S-Class competitor, and the brakes are substandard. I don't want to get bogged down in the driver assistance package, auto headlamps, auto wipers and so on, which are so bad I swear sometimes 25% of posts here relate to them, but you can read about them at your leisure.

You will love owning a Tesla and running an EV but there's something of a curate's egg about them. And so many other choices these days.

• Funny
Reactions: spdpsba and Zilla91
I moved from a M3SR+ (similar to the current RWD) to a MYLR. The cars feel quite a lot different, despite looking similar. It felt like moving from a BMW 3 to a 5 series.
The MY is a better family car, the space is incredible. It’s easily fast enough for the road and has a great range. My average consumption over the first year/12,000 miles is 241wh/M or 4.15 miles pkwh. It’s now done less than 250 miles to a charge and in the summer stretched to 300+

Having said all that, the RWD M3 was more agile, balanced and more adjustable to drive.

The premium audio is really noticeable and superb.

Depends on what you need/like in a car. If you have a dog….MY.

They’re definitely different in character. I love my MY and it’s perfect for what we need as a family. But I miss my M3.

In terms of lease the Model Y is an additional £80 per month versus the Model 3, which is the recent model aimed at business customers. The M3 has a claimed range of 374 miles and the MY 331 miles.

You need to understand what they mean by that. Tesla had a M3 LR RWD which was originally only for business customers, if thats what they mean and they are trying to get rid of old stock then you need to know its single motor only, is more akin to the old RWD model just with a lightly larger battery etc.

It doesn't mean it's a bad car, just not one you'll have ever seen on the website except as an inventory car, and not like the current car promoted on the website.

If however it is the latest Highland version, you need to satisfy yourself you can live without indicator stalks. Other than that it is a major step forward than the old model, but this one change is causing a lot of people to pause for thought. Owners on the continent who have had the car for a short while are producing very mixed feelings, essentially indicating on a roundabout smaller than one you might find over a major junction where the radius is tighter can be nigh on impossible.

You need to understand what they mean by that. Tesla had a M3 LR RWD which was originally only for business customers, if thats what they mean and they are trying to get rid of old stock then you need to know its single motor only, is more akin to the old RWD model just with a lightly larger battery etc.

It doesn't mean it's a bad car, just not one you'll have ever seen on the website except as an inventory car, and not like the current car promoted on the website.

If however it is the latest Highland version, you need to satisfy yourself you can live without indicator stalks. Other than that it is a major step forward than the old model, but this one change is causing a lot of people to pause for thought. Owners on the continent who have had the car for a short while are producing very mixed feelings, essentially indicating on a roundabout smaller than one you might find over a major junction where the radius is tighter can be nigh on impossible.
Yes, it seems the Model 3 would be old style. Another vote for Model Y

Reactions: Lord Farquad
decision between these 2 models

I had an M3 replaced it with an MY specifically because I needed a hatchback.

I much preferred driving the M3; hustling the MY on country lanes that are uneven needs a lot more concentration!

But some people will prefer the higher driving position of MY, and my elderly father in law prefers getting in and out of the MY more than the M3 - and much more than the MS :)

In most reviews it appears the MY is not a great ride but has great space and the M3 is better to drive and has a better range although I cannot find many reviews of this 2023 model.

Sums up my view.

If your order would get you the New Version Highland then I think that has a number of advantages / improvements than the Current Version MY - but indicator stalks have been removed from Highland

My office is 180 miles 1 way and I'm likely to travel most weeks.

Assuming you have a driveway and will install a wall charger, that will give you 7kW and you will get close to 4 miles / kWh - so 7kW = 28 MPH charging speed.

180 miles (if you had to do back-to-back visits) would therefore be 6.5 hours charging. In Winter you might be nearer to 3 miles / kWh which would be 8.5 hours. Cheapest overnight charging is typically 4 hours (but over the last 12 months all sorts of different "arrangements" have arisen)

When not a back-to-back long journey days then you can replenish over 2+ nights of course, otherwise some of your "fuel cost" will be at peak rate. Assuming work has 7kW chargers you have a similar amount of "dwell" time there to replenish too. Of course if EV range is, say, 300 miles and you use 180 to get to work, if you can only partly re-fill whilst there that's "good enough" to get you home.

Use ABRP to plan journeys, compare cars and check for charging options along the route. Change temperature & weather in advanced settings if you want.

THIS :) Definitely recommend that you try it with your work journey, and try it with temperature at, say, 5C and wet road. - and you could try RWD and LR AWD as well as M3 / MY

Any any other long journeys you have - to visit Friends and Relies, or to tour the continent :)

180 miles must take a fair few hours (especially if rush hour features), so a break for toilet & a coffee probably no harm. I personally find driving an EV much less tiring and can probably do 50% more for the same level of fatigue. I often get to the other end feeling much fresher.

THIS too.

We have driven to skiing in the Alps for decades, previously ICE now EV. The EV journey takes about 1 hour longer (in addition to a lunch stop we have 3 x 20 minute Charging stops). We arrive far more refreshed than ever we did in ICE "press on and get there", and we were a LOT younger then :)

All after a lifetime of Jags Range Rovers, BMWs Audis and Mercedes but if you want to go electric it still must be a Teslan in 2023.
I have had 3 M3's and 2 MY's.
I would never go back to an M3. The boy racer thing wears off in a few weeks which is the singular advantage the M3 has.
The MY is everything the M3 isn't. You can enter it with ease, it has a much better driving position and much, much more space.
It is still fast and the range for me is not noticeably different from a M3. The suspension on mine does not feel hard, it skips a little on corners with poor road services but never feels out of control. I haven't had a RWD of either Model but from what my friends say the RWD is much better value, although you do lose a bit of spec.
Whatever you decide, it has to be a Tesla, do not be fooled by the European alternatives, some may be comfier but unless you exclusively charge at home don't be tempted.
- the access to all Superchargers is still the number one factor when choosing electric in 2023.
ICE cars with electric engines are inefficient, below par software and give you range anxiety. The ones mentioned are very expensive to buy or own as they often come with poorer warranties and with expensive servicing obligations necessary to maintain those warranties.

Worth noting that the audio system in the RWD LR 3 is not the premium audio. IMHO, the premium is the best stock system I’ve heard in any car so that’s something worth considering if in-car sound is important to you.

Note also that since the “comfort suspension” was introduced on the Y earlier this year, the ride has improved.
Thanks

I moved from a M3SR+ (similar to the current RWD) to a MYLR. The cars feel quite a lot different, despite looking similar. It felt like moving from a BMW 3 to a 5 series.
The MY is a better family car, the space is incredible. It’s easily fast enough for the road and has a great range. My average consumption over the first year/12,000 miles is 241wh/M or 4.15 miles pkwh. It’s now done less than 250 miles to a charge and in the summer stretched to 300+

Having said all that, the RWD M3 was more agile, balanced and more adjustable to drive.

The premium audio is really noticeable and superb.

Depends on what you need/like in a car. If you have a dog….MY.

They’re definitely different in character. I love my MY and it’s perfect for what we need as a family. But I miss my M3.
Thanks

Thanks

I had an M3 replaced it with an MY specifically because I needed a hatchback.

I much preferred driving the M3; hustling the MY on country lanes that are uneven needs a lot more concentration!

But some people will prefer the higher driving position of MY, and my elderly father in law prefers getting in and out of the MY more than the M3 - and much more than the MS :)

Sums up my view.

If your order would get you the New Version Highland then I think that has a number of advantages / improvements than the Current Version MY - but indicator stalks have been removed from Highland

Assuming you have a driveway and will install a wall charger, that will give you 7kW and you will get close to 4 miles / kWh - so 7kW = 28 MPH charging speed.

180 miles (if you had to do back-to-back visits) would therefore be 6.5 hours charging. In Winter you might be nearer to 3 miles / kWh which would be 8.5 hours. Cheapest overnight charging is typically 4 hours (but over the last 12 months all sorts of different "arrangements" have arisen)

When not a back-to-back long journey days then you can replenish over 2+ nights of course, otherwise some of your "fuel cost" will be at peak rate. Assuming work has 7kW chargers you have a similar amount of "dwell" time there to replenish too. Of course if EV range is, say, 300 miles and you use 180 to get to work, if you can only partly re-fill whilst there that's "good enough" to get you home.

THIS :) Definitely recommend that you try it with your work journey, and try it with temperature at, say, 5C and wet road. - and you could try RWD and LR AWD as well as M3 / MY

Any any other long journeys you have - to visit Friends and Relies, or to tour the continent :)

THIS too.

We have driven to skiing in the Alps for decades, previously ICE now EV. The EV journey takes about 1 hour longer (in addition to a lunch stop we have 3 x 20 minute Charging stops). We arrive far more refreshed than ever we did in ICE "press on and get there", and we were a LOT younger then :)
Thanks

All after a lifetime of Jags Range Rovers, BMWs Audis and Mercedes but if you want to go electric it still must be a Teslan in 2023.
I have had 3 M3's and 2 MY's.
I would never go back to an M3. The boy racer thing wears off in a few weeks which is the singular advantage the M3 has.
The MY is everything the M3 isn't. You can enter it with ease, it has a much better driving position and much, much more space.
It is still fast and the range for me is not noticeably different from a M3. The suspension on mine does not feel hard, it skips a little on corners with poor road services but never feels out of control. I haven't had a RWD of either Model but from what my friends say the RWD is much better value, although you do lose a bit of spec.
Whatever you decide, it has to be a Tesla, do not be fooled by the European alternatives, some may be comfier but unless you exclusively charge at home don't be tempted.
- the access to all Superchargers is still the number one factor when choosing electric in 2023.
ICE cars with electric engines are inefficient, below par software and give you range anxiety. The ones mentioned are very expensive to buy or own as they often come with poorer warranties and with expensive servicing obligations necessary to maintain those warranties.
Thanks