Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD or Model Y LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for all of the "Thanks" posts but for some reason I cannot find anywhere to like a post ! I did get a quote for the Highland version but is is £120 more a month than the Model Y so I have discounted it. Seems to me the leasing company are taking advantage but as its a company car i have no choice on who/where the car is leased from.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Apologies for all of the "Thanks" posts but for some reason I cannot find anywhere to like a post !
Right here. Hoover over it.

1700414313980.png

Reactions: Kssquared
It really doesn’t. Nearly 2 years in and I still adore jumping into the M3 and driving it.

Whenever I do back to back drives with the 3 and Y it always reminds me how much better the 3 is to drive.
The Mrs sometimes takes my Y when she needs to take an elderly client out somewhere and I get to take hers about. The 3 is for sure the more sporty/planted car. I wouldn't go as far to say its the better car to drive as that depends on how you drive but I think If I was to change car, the mrs would be quite happy to get rid of the 3 and keep mine.

The Mrs sometimes takes my Y when she needs to take an elderly client out somewhere and I get to take hers about. The 3 is for sure the more sporty/planted car. I wouldn't go as far to say its the better car to drive as that depends on how you drive but I think If I was to change car, the mrs would be quite happy to get rid of the 3 and keep mine.
I'd say I'm a conservative driver. I do a large number of miles but don't push the boundaries

Thanks, I think I had to post so many times before it was made available to me. Your post was the first one that made that option available.
My 2 pence:
Tesla all the way. And the new M3 highland is on my top of the list - especially the LR one as you don’t have to worry about charging at all given your 360miles round trips. I think the extra £100 is well worth the spend - more and more chargers will be occupied and opened to non Teslas and the longer you can go without charging the easier it will be.

If it is business lease and you have the option of MY and M3 LR RWD I think if it is all motorway driving / family needs MY is the way to go. If mixed countryside driving, no dog and small family M3 is ideal.

But don’t dismiss the highland just because of little bit of extra money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right here. Hoover over it.

Not available to newcomers with few posts

Apologies for all of the "Thanks" posts but for some reason I cannot find anywhere to like a post

You have to make a certain number of posts ... which your "Thanks posts" will have solved for you :)

the Highland version but is is £120 more a month than the Model Y so I have discounted it. Seems to me the leasing company are taking advantage

Tesla charge a premium price for the new model - e.g. discounted finance on the old / others models, not on the new one.

don’t dismiss the highland just because of little bit of extra money.

Yes, good point.

If O/P is coming from ICE and has off-road charging (and can charge on a good Off Peak rate) then the saving will be £100-150 per month PER 10K miles driven p.a.

So for a 10K miles p.a. driver an additional £120 per month for finance would be "Neutral", more so if his work charging is "free" for employees

My 2 pence:
Tesla all the way. And the new M3 highland is on my top of the list - especially the LR one as you don’t have to worry about charging at all given your 360miles round trips. I think the extra £100 is well worth the spend - more and more chargers will be occupied and opened to non Teslas and the longer you can go without charging the easier it will be.

If it is business lease and you have the option of MY and M3 LR RWD I think if it is all motorway driving / family needs MY is the way to go. If mixed countryside driving, no dog and small family M3 is ideal.

My post has been moderated diluting the content. I’ll use a generic term - ONE previous post mention about OTHER EVs that you need to look at. I guess you being here makes it clear you want to buy a Tesla and that is the right decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 pence:

Thanks, reality is it’s £5k more than the MY and £9k more than the M3 over the lease term !

Thanks, reality is it’s £5k more for the MY and £9k for the M3 over the lease term !
The calculation I would do is: is charging free at your work place? And when you come back home with a LR RWD how much you have to spend more on peak tariff to fill the battery for next day? And do you have to go everyday or alternate days? And if you have an young family the amount of time you spend planning for charging when you are coming back and the possible delay that can happen because of charging etc., Does all this worth the £4000 saving - questions only you can answer!

reality is it’s £5k more than the MY and £9k more than the M3 over the lease term !

That's about what you will save on fuel moving from ICE to EV

Assuming : you do 10K miles per year, and have previously been driving ICE, and have off road parking and a good Off Peak overnight tariff - not including any free Electricity you might be able to use at work

Sorry, for clarity I think I will commute the 360 once a week. Probably drive there, stay a couple of nights with some day trips possibly and then drive home. I believe work is free charging (new job). I expect 20k mileage pa with other trips to customers.

Reactions: ringi
Sorry, for clarity I think I will commute the 360 once a week. Probably drive there, stay a couple of nights with some day trips possibly and then drive home. I believe work is free charging (new job). I expect 20k mileage pa with other trips to customers.
Im going off topic here I know but Im going to start by saying different strokes for different folks but personally any job for any money that falls outside a 15 mile radius (each way per day) from home is just discounted.

This is not criticism. I just find it amazing with what I have to contemplate with in my short drives most days.

I'd say it depends on what you value. I had an MY LR and it was a practical, but incredibly boring car to drive. The M3 is just so much more fun to drive on a daily basis. The efficiency is far better too. For me the MY was like driving an appliance. I found myself taking the M3 a lot just to go out and have fun.

I also found the M3 has a touch more legroom than the Y. I did like the slightly higher seated height but that also translates into more frontal area which kills range. My MY LR consumed more energy per mile than my MS LR, which weighed more, was far quicker and faster, and could still hold a ton of stuff.

In inclement weather, though, the AWD system of the Tesla is very well sorted. If I had a lot of snow to deal with, I'd probably choose whatever AWD model was available over the RWD variant.

I wouldn't rule out the new Highland version unless economically it made no sense at all. Whatever you go with, go with the smallest diameter wheels you can. Don't pay for larger wheels. It kills the range and almost no benefit.

Welcome to the family! Really either one isn't a bad choice but the new upgrades in the Highland would be nice (other than the stupid lack of stalks). The MY will likely be refreshed in the next year or so. If a fairly long term lease, I'd really lean toward the newer version. Sort of watching this play out in our family. The Highland version isn't here yet and my son wants a new 3. Trying to determine at what price point is it worth just going with the current gen M3 or maybe wait an go with the Highland when it hits here. The tax incentives will likely be cut in half next year so the current one is at least $3750 cheaper just do to that.