Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD or Model Y LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest consideration: do you like sedans or crossovers? Model 3 is a sedan. Model Y is a crossover.

Yes, Sedans are generally more engaging or fun to drive. But crossovers can be fun to drive and engaging to drive. With added benefit of heightened riding and more storage space. I own the Model Y Performance and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned in the past 25 years of driving cars. And I typically change cars in 2-3 years tops, sometimes less (I know this is silly, but thats me, essentially YOLO).

RWD vs. AWD…. This is not just about much better traction in snow and icey roads. AWD EVs have two (or more) electric motors, which by definition means more horsepower and more importantly more instant torque. To me, getting the AWD is way more advantageous than RWD. By a a huge stretch dollar for dollar cost. That’s just me and my reasoning

Reactions: Kssquared
Biggest consideration: do you like sedans or crossovers? Model 3 is a sedan. Model Y is a crossover.

Yes, Sedans are generally more engaging or fun to drive. But crossovers can be fun to drive and engaging to drive. With added benefit of heightened riding and more storage space. I own the Model Y Performance and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned in the past 25 years of driving cars. And I typically change cars in 2-3 years tops, sometimes less (I know this is silly, but thats me, essentially YOLO).

RWD vs. AWD…. This is not just about much better traction in snow and icey roads. AWD EVs have two (or more) electric motors, which by definition means more horsepower and more importantly more instant torque. To me, getting the AWD is way more advantageous than RWD. By a a huge stretch dollar for dollar cost. That’s just me and my reasoning
I currently drive a Volvo XC40 Hybrid which is my 1st SUV for many years but I am enjoying the ride height for sure.

I expect 20k mileage pa with other trips to customers.

Note that in Winter if your customer journeys are stopping for just an hour and then off to the next one that "stop" time will cool the battery and the multiple set-off costs will be very significant (for range). If you just visit one customer, and then go home, then only the return-home set-off cost. (If you are plugged in you can pre-condition the car before you leave - and warming the battery, in Winter, saves the set-off cost on that leg)

20k miles p.a. is going to be £200 - 300 a month on fuel, compared to ICE. But if you weren't doing that mileage previously in ICE that may not be a factor!

Is employer paying mileage (and if they pay low-ball you can claim difference against personal tax)? Your home-charged mileage is going to be around 2-3p per mile. And you will get 180 miles return-leg a week from employer - about 8,000 miles p.a. But I'm sure you've considered all of that :)

I would definitely want the LR for that sort of mileage, in particular during Winter (where AWD will also help). Its both the ability / length of journeys where you can do out-and-back without a charging stop, but also if you have to stop to charge you need less [money and time] (i.e. just enough to reach destination where charging is available).

But, that said, if you are visiting clients and you have reports to write / emails to do then stopping and charging, on the way home, and knock off those on your laptop means that you are just time shifting that work, which you would otherwise do when you got home. Supercharging is about the same price as Petrol though ... When I was doing 30+K miles p.a. on business, and had a 240 mile real-world range EV, I was supercharging 2 days a month and the client-work done whilst charging worked for me. But then I changed to a 300 miles EV and then only supercharged a couple of days a year :)

Last edited:
It really doesn’t. Nearly 2 years in and I still adore jumping into the M3 and driving it.

Whenever I do back to back drives with the 3 and Y it always reminds me how much better the 3 is to drive.
i agree, it still feels "fun" ish to drive a year on, for something that i drive every day i find quite impressive.

I just cant get over the looks of a model Y and for that single reason i would never ever own one, regardless of how practical over the model 3 they are, i know looks are subjective so its a not a really a valid critism but if we only based our decision on facts rather than personal opinion and tasta it would all be a bit pointless.

I just cant get over the looks of a model Y and for that single reason i would never ever own one, regardless of how practical over the model 3 they are, i know looks are subjective so its a not a really a valid critism but if we only based our decision on facts rather than personal opinion and tasta it would all be a bit pointless.

Model Y looks make it a solid 'no' for me - to my eyes it's a dreadful gawky looking thing...practical and efficient it may be, but there are few worse looking cars on the road!

All in they eyes of the beholder though as @The_Cable_Guy says.

Note that in Winter if your customer journeys are stopping for just an hour and then off to the next one that "stop" time will cool the battery and the multiple set-off costs will be very significant (for range). If you just visit one customer, and then go home, then only the return-home set-off cost. (If you are plugged in you can pre-condition the car before you leave - and warming the battery, in Winter, saves the set-off cost on that leg)

20k miles p.a. is going to be £200 - 300 a month on fuel, compared to ICE. But if you weren't doing that mileage previously in ICE that may not be a factor!

Is employer paying mileage (and if they pay low-ball you can claim difference against personal tax)? Your home-charged mileage is going to be around 2-3p per mile. And you will get 180 miles return-leg a week from employer - about 8,000 miles p.a. But I'm sure you've considered all of that :)

I would definitely want the LR for that sort of mileage, in particular during Winter (where AWD will also help). Its both the ability / length of journeys where you can do out-and-back without a charging stop, but also if you have to stop to charge you need less [money and time] (i.e. just enough to reach destination where charging is available).

But, that said, if you are visiting clients and you have reports to write / emails to do then stopping and charging, on the way home, and knock off those on your laptop means that you are just time shifting that work, which you would otherwise do when you got home. Supercharging is about the same price as Petrol though ... When I was doing 30+K miles p.a. on business, and had a 240 mile real-world range EV, I was supercharging 2 days a month and the client-work done whilst charging worked for me. But then I changed to a 300 miles EV and then only supercharged a couple of days a year :)
Thanks. I expect I will get the HMRC rate which I believe is 10p per mile. Would that cover the cost of supercharging?

i agree, it still feels "fun" ish to drive a year on, for something that i drive every day, i find quite impressive.

I just cant get over the looks of a model Y and for that single reason i would never ever own one regardless of how practical over the model 3 they are. I know looks are subjective so its a not a really a valid criticism but if we only based our decision on facts rather than personal opinion and tastes, it would all be a bit pointless.
I fixed it for you.

Personally, having both I find it hard to distinguish between both when out and about unless I'm directly behind one.

This is not the thread of which one looks prettier than the other, guys.

The moral of this post is that if you behave like children, the teacher will come after you 🥸 🤣

All in they eyes of the beholder though as @The_Cable_Guy says.

This is the essence of where I find things wrong with certain forums. Why on earth would you say something like that and the put the disclaimer at the end?... some opinions are best kept to yourself imho o_O

It's a thread where OP is seeking opinions on a buying decision between two cars.

For many, how a car looks is part of that process.
Two similar looking cars that are totally different in practicality, which he has already narrowed down to.... He already knows what they look like and as you said each to their own, so it's a pointless opinion to him or anyone else that bought a Y.... Its not about you :)

Two similar looking cars that are totally different in practicality, which he has already narrowed down to.... He already knows what they look like and as you said each to their own, so it's a pointless opinion to him or anyone else that bought a Y.... Its not about you :)
He also knows the stats on range, about differences in suspension set-up etc etc.

He is just collecting opinions, but clearly your views are far more important than anyone else's.

He also knows the stats on range, about differences in suspension set-up etc etc.

He is just collecting opinions, but clearly your views are far more important than anyone else's.
I did make my unbiased (because I have both) input and so did others. At no point we felt the need to just come here and formulate an opinion based on looks alone like some did. So yes, my opinion is more important than yours :)

In a good way ?
Coming from any other brand to Tesla will be a big adjustment imho. It can be good and bad depending on how open minded you are.

My best comparison would be the Mrs. She never cared about fast cars, comfort, technology etc... These days she gets up and sets preconditioning with minimal lag (99% of the time), she overtakes in a more safely manner (I nearly crapped myself when she did it in a toyota aygo), comes home less stressed and she would not go back to a "normal car".

One of the best investments I ever made imho but there will be a point that it will need changing (as well as mine) and Im keeping an open mind for when that time comes.

I expect I will get the HMRC rate which I believe is 10p per mile. Would that cover the cost of supercharging?

No, I don't think it would (but I have free supercharging so not sure of actual prices).

But ... your home charge rate will be 2-3P per mile, your at-work rate will be £0 (you said you were reasonable sure its free). So overall you'd be OK.

And (best of my knowledge) you can claim the difference between 10p Employer and "government rate" on your tax return - that isn't applicable to me, so I've heard of it but I don't know the details.

Does you new employer offer Salary Sacrifice for buying an EV? That would, most likely, be your cheapest route to purchase of a new car.

Hold that thought. If your ‘other trips to customers’ is lots of multiple shortish trips then that might have a disproportionate effect on range.

In short, eg 10 x 20 mile trips will use more energy than a single 200 mile trip to the point that you may be using 300 miles of battery range.
This is a great point. Especially if you can't plug in and have to use onboard power to cool/heat the car rather than using shore power to preheat/cool the car. The car I track the most closely on this is my Model S Plaid.

Overall, I am at about 335 wh/mile since new. My first mile or two might be in the 600-700 wh/mi range. My 3 is generally so efficient I don't both with it but I really see it in my S. My range will literally drop about 1% the first mile I drive if I have no chance to preheat or cool the car first. My 3 is probably about 50% worse. My Y just guzzled electrons for its size (by comparison) so I never really thought about it too much as it was just far worse then Tesla promised in my usage scenario.

For reference overall efficiency for my other Teslas. Listed wheel sizes as it really matters.
2022 Model S Plaid 21" wheels. - 335 Wh/mi
2021 Model Y Long range 19" wheels. - 315 Wh/mi
2022 Model S Long range 19" wheels. - 275 Wh/mi
2022 Model 3 Long range 18" wheels. - 225 Wh/mi

They all have been used pretty much the same way with the exception of the Plaid. It has seen a lot of very high triple digit speeds. The MS LR hasaw at least 120 full-throttle drag strip runs. The MY LR was used the most sedately as it was boring as hell. The 3 is used like the family racing cart but rarely above 100 mph. Mostly on the highway I am driving 80-90 mph with any of them. Not really cold winters here, maybe 12F (-11C) but summers are hot. Often over 105F (45C) with the lows in summer in the 90's (32C) so the AC systems get a real workout.

No, I don't think it would (but I have free supercharging so not sure of actual prices).

But ... your home charge rate will be 2-3P per mile, your at-work rate will be £0 (you said you were reasonable sure its free). So overall you'd be OK.

And (best of my knowledge) you can claim the difference between 10p Employer and "government rate" on your tax return - that isn't applicable to me, so I've heard of it but I don't know the details.

Does you new employer offer Salary Sacrifice for buying an EV? That would, most likely, be your cheapest route to purchase of a new car.
I am not yet sure how the scheme works but expect it is likely salary sacrifice as you mention.

I am not yet sure how the scheme works but expect it is likely salary sacrifice as you mention.

Monthly payment is of course whatever you are comfortable with, but IME LR is likely to be the better choice - once the cost issues has been overcome!

I have a family member who originally chose SR (an M3) - could afford either but was not comfortable driving a car of the cost of LR. After ownership (of a couple of years) decided to replace with LR because had got used to driving an "expensive" car, and the convenience of LR was just way better.

With SR when she came here she had to charge in order to get back home - and be here long enough for that 7kW charger. With LR she now only charges if going "somewhere else" after wards, or if my PV is exporting!!