Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y September Delivery?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my LRY midnight silver ( nothing else ) on April 4th. I waited until my home refi was completed and then applied and got approved for Tesla financing through US Bank May 5th at 2.49 APR. I have the similar date fluctuations. I reminded my SA on June 5 my BMW lease was up on June 20. She put me on the “priority” list. Also, did not want them to rerun my credit AGAIN after the 60 day period ( post approval ). Unfortunately, I had to renew my lease another month.

SA texted me soon after saying my car will be here June 29! My delivery range on website changed to June 24-Jun 30. I watched the days go down to jun 25-30, 26-30, etc, as the date approached. On the 29th I texted my advisor and she called me back saying the car she thought was mine disappeared?’!?!?! She then said my delivery time is showing July 15! On July 20 I would need to renew my lease again!!!! Oh, my estimated delivery time currently shows September 🤦‍♂️.

I called a manager at the Carlsbad delivery center to complain about the website and just to double check there was nothing wrong with my account. I felt he tried to put the blame on me for waiting until May 5 to complete my financing. He mentioned there is an “algorithm “ that shows the longer people take to complete paperwork the less likely they will actually buy the car. He eluded this is why I might have been passed up. I referred a coworker to the same location I ordered from. She ordered her Y May 15 and got her car June 15! I have seen so many mid May orders take delivery before me.
I feel since I was locked in a much lower price Tesla was prioritizing deliveries based on price to boost second quarter sales. Seems kinda sneaky and dishonest if this is true. Helps stock holders but sucks for customers. I would have gladly paid commission to secure a car in a reasonable amount of time. I would rather had Tesla be honest and say we will price lock you but prepare for a September delivery. At least I could plan ahead. I’m a single Dad and we only have one car. Planning is everything!

For a “technology “ company you would think they could manage a website and keep track of chronological orders. In 2006 I ordered a refreshed BMW 3 series. You could preorder, configure through a dealer. I got an estimated delivery time and watched my car go through various cycles of production online. You could even track it on the boat from Germany to the US. It got here on time!!!! It was in perfect condition too. That was 2006!!!

I’m not accepting the chip excuses because my coworker got her chip. There have been thousands and thousands of later orders that received theirs.

This has been a stressful car buying experience. My SA seems to be as much in the dark as me. Spending over 50K on anything should not be this frustrating. If I don’t get a car before July 15. I’m going back to BMW to buy a X3 e or try to extend my current lease so I can buy the i4 ( my dealer already made that offer ). Screw the 0-60 times and charging network. At some point you just want confidence that a company is there for you and wants your business.

Reactions: sunshine3200
Totally get when delivery delays impact things like financing and things with deadlines like returning a lease.

Unfortunately I've found that buying a Tesla should not align with a specific timeline because it's too unpredictable right now. Demand is probably at an all time high and they're trying to deliver every vehicle they're producing. It sucks that you have to go through this, others have had less than pleasant delivery experiences (or lack thereof).

It can be frustrating, especially now, but Tesla isn't BMW or VW that have been around forever and have robust dealer networks, customer service teams, etc... Rent a car if you have to in the meantime - once you get your ride it will have been worth the wait. Or if certainty is most important go with the more established brand that fits the bill, but if you want a Tesla stay the course and don't settle as you'll be living with your decision for several years probably. Good luck! :)

Reactions: Koolio46
Tesla is currently selling every car they make, and then some.

They prioritize more expensive builds.

When you ordered a car, they're not actually building one for you. They build them in batches, according to what they think the demand for that trim, color, accessories etc will be. In your case, they haven't prioritized the combo that you want yet.

That's just the way it is unfortunately. There's nothing your sa can do to get you a car any faster

Tesla is currently selling every car they make, and then some.

They prioritize more expensive builds.

When you ordered a car, they're not actually building one for you. They build them in batches, according to what they think the demand for that trim, color, accessories etc will be. In your case, they haven't prioritized the combo that you want yet.

That's just the way it is unfortunately. There's nothing your sa can do to get you a car any faster
That makes total sense now. I know Tesla does not guarantee delivery times. I still feel I was misled by the store manager and sales team when they enthusiastically told me my “estimated” delivery time. I truly believe they thought I would get one at least before my credit pull expired. Knowing they had record deliveries 2nd quarter does nothing to my confidence of ever getting a car from them. I honestly think they would rather have me cancel my order so they could sell it to someone at the current price. I would have paid the higher price to secure a car if this was the case. Now I feel it may not be worth it to keep dropping money to continuously extend my lease or rent a car if their strategy is to prioritize price. I thought this would be a fun and exciting process. Lol.

Did you guys see this article on inverse?

The article you linked references the expected change to a structural battery pack and 4680 cells for the Model Y. I would not hold my breath for this to actually reach people's hands in any significant number this year given that it coincides with Tesla also ramping up an entirely new factory and production line which tends to be a gradual process (and which usually tends to lag behind target dates). Also note Elon's mention of "limited production".

It's also not clear what, if any, practical advantage this will give owners initially (it could end up being more to lay the groundwork for larger changes in the future). If someone has the ability to wait and basically doesn't really care if they get their car early/mid next year, then waiting for this may be an option.