Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow-orange roof glass tint???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry guys, newbie here...is the roof supposed to be a yellowish orange color? It's overcast here and pouring, so not sure if that has something to do with it, but it's so odd...yesterday when I picked up the car the roof was definitely more of a tinted grey color. Maybe it's from polarization?? o_O

IMG_20200804_122141.jpg

I think I misunderstood your initial comment a bit. Misread your reference to the gray tinted color as yours not having the iridescence. It only really becomes apparent when water beads up on the surface. Some sort of prismatic type affect.
The orange is definitely supposed to be there it’s a technology for filtering out the UV rays to keep the cabin safe & cool.
At some point early on they stopped using it. In fact there were people that had the glass replaced because of damage… That were quite irritated by the fact that replacement glass did not have the orange iridescence.
Threads on this subject throughout Model 3 forums

Reactions: Siciliano
I understand you're new, so am I, but it seems this basic line of questioning can be answered with very little effort. A simple Google search of "Tesla Orange Roof" will return countless articles and photos and provide you all of the information you need.
Or just hit the magnifying glass icon to search TMC.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Point taken, I guess I deserve (somewhat) the roasting. Just understand, when someone is excited about something, they prefer to stir up conversation about it, rather than coldly invoke the Google gods. :p Relax a little, this is a car forum, not the floor of congress.

I'd rather hear current replies too - who knows, maybe a few days ago someone found out how to minimize the orange hue... Something I couldn't find via search - I wonder if a layer of tint on top of the glass roof would minimize it. I might try it because it's really fugly.

But yeah, next time I'll search it up... :rolleyes:

Point taken, I guess I deserve (somewhat) the roasting. Just understand, when someone is excited about something, they prefer to stir up conversation about it, rather than coldly invoke the Google gods. :p Relax a little, this is a car forum, not the floor of congress.

I'd rather hear current replies too - who knows, maybe a few days ago someone found out how to minimize the orange hue... Something I couldn't find via search - I wonder if a layer of tint on top of the glass roof would minimize it. I might try it because it's really fugly.

But yeah, next time I'll search it up... :rolleyes:
Don’t sweat it.
There some members on Tesla forums that like to reply RTFM (Read the F****ing Manual) I’m not referring to the above googling comments in this thread.
Often searches seem to be laborious and unfruitful either pulling in too much or not enough to find exactly what you’re looking for.
A lot of us relish the opportunity to help someone with information they’re looking for partly to pay it back for all the help we’ve gotten along the way.
TMC has been a great resource for me along the Tesla journey. Enjoy every mile of yours…

It only looks like that when it is wet. It will be gone once it dries. I actually like it, but i have a red one. It does look out of place on the blue. It is from the UV\IR coating on the glass. They changed it sometime in mid 2018 to only be the top glass and not the rear glass as well, but then i think by the end of 2018 it was gone on the top glass as well.

It only looks like that when it is wet. It will be gone once it dries. I actually like it, but i have a red one. It does look out of place on the blue. It is from the UV\IR coating on the glass. They changed it sometime in mid 2018 to only be the top glass and not the rear glass as well, but then i think by the end of 2018 it was gone on the top glass as well.
I like it with our blue m3. Although I am colorblind…
CD0D28CE-18E1-4BBB-9686-2B728F14E3CA.jpeg
795C7E3D-F68E-4CE8-8158-970C13C918F2.jpeg

Hmm, 2018 is early? It wasn't like this at all yesterday. It's all good, if it continues to be noticeable I'll have it tinted. I just find it odd that I'm just noticing it now.

Its fine (its a coating they put on earlier Model 3s). I havent read the rest of the thread as of yet, however when people started noticing their cars did NOT have the yellow reflective coating, some got upset.

Its very distinctive, but as mentioned only happens when its wet, and is normal for a 2018. Mine has it as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Dog