Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yips for buying a used Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been asked if I wish to buy a used Tesla. A friend told me that he can get me a used 2013 Tesla model S for a good price.

I am cautious of buying a used car especially when it comes at a tempting price. This checklist I found is good for a regular car. Used Vehicle Checklist | Aspire Federal Credit Union I wish to get some tips like this for buying a used EV car. I don't want to make a wrong decision.

Please, share your tips and advice.

Thank you.

As an alternative, I've gone 66,000 miles out of warranty which is about 5 years of "normal" driving, and have spent $1,500 out of pocket on repairs. I could have paid $4000 for extended warranty, but saved $2500 by passing on it. Yes, it's a gamble and not everyone will be so lucky, but it worked for me.

Bought it used with 35K miles before CPO program even existed.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and Canuck
With the extended warranty you have to pay a $200 deductible on each problem you have with the car. If all four door handles go out, that's $800 right there.

I think its a matter of risk - and how much risk you can stomach.

Will 4 door handles go out?
What if the 17" screen dies?
What if the sunroof needs to be replaced, completely.
What if the air suspension misbehaves?

And what is peace of mind worth to you?

You can get lucky, of course! But I'd rather play my odds elsewhere, and buy the ESA. Worth it IMO.

Reactions: JPUConn
So let's do this exercise. On my CPO, bought 5/2015 from a 5/2013 build with 50k miles. What have been my issues?

- Battery crapped out at 55k miles; warranty repair vent cover unknown associated cost (took almost 5 months with a loaner battery placed in my car)
- at 80k miles, at least 1, but just last week March 2017 all 4 TPMS sensors replaced. Again, I got warranty covered, so don't know the cost
- 3/10 Squeezy Pano; lubricated, probably a $20 fix
- No other MFG issues since purchase

- Accident on 11/14/16; car 4 months to repair returned 3/10 (~$24k)
- 3/10, completed sneaky 3rd party certified vendor RFS installed with parts shipped from Tesla (oh when I told the Service center in fremont, I got some dirty looks)
- 3rd party it appears broke my GPS antenna when replacing the rear lift gate. GPS antenna $40
- Tesla refused to cover repair under warranty because Repair center was RC of failure
- Option to pay Tesla to do it or have repair center do it. I choose repair center, which will revalidate my warranty.
- Replacing GPS antenna requires: Cutting out the rear glass (don't know the cost) and rear break light (if not careful could need to replace both (Glass ~$750-$1000, Rear brake light : I don't know but expect something like $800-$1500)..rule of thumb, non-standard Tesla repairs seems to run in the $900-$1300 range for parts and labor per single incident

- Ohh and no issue with how I ran my Blackvue 650. Tesla didn't mind my tapping the overhead console, or running the wire and jumping the gap from the boot. i.e. "No cut into existing wiring harness by camera system" Ok by warranty standard.

Bottom line, don't go smashing up your car and service/warranty costs are minimal until:
1. Drive unit craps out
2. Display/MCU dies
3. Sensors fail (TPMS/Autopilot/Camera/etc..)
4. door handles, folding mirrors, window motor fails?
5. If you have a Performance model and drive like it, new shoes every 15-20k miles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
So if I buy a used tesla from a dealer I can just aftermarket an extended warranty ? Please share more. Here is a local tesla here with low miles at a good price but meeting the end of its four year 50. If I can talk them down I'd love to get it. But worried about warranty.

So if I buy a used tesla from a dealer I can just aftermarket an extended warranty ? Please share more. Here is a local tesla here with low miles at a good price but meeting the end of its four year 50. If I can talk them down I'd love to get it. But worried about warranty.

As a second owner, there are only 3 ways to have a warranty on the car,

a) Buying it from another owner, and be covered until 50K miles
b) Buying it from another owner, the other owner buys the extended warranty before selling it to you - and transfers the ESA in your name for $100 fee to Tesla.
c) Buying a CPO from Tesla, Tesla will give you 50K mile coverage from the date of purchase. But CPO will probably cost a bit more than private purchase from an owner.

There are no other ways of getting any warranty on a Tesla.

With the extended warranty you have to pay a $200 deductible on each problem you have with the car. If all four door handles go out, that's $800 right there.

Unless they go out at the same time. The $200 is per visit, not per item. The point being that if you have other minor stuff that would be fixed under warranty but you can live with it, wait til more stuff breaks and consolidate the visits.

I think its a matter of risk - and how much risk you can stomach... You can get lucky, of course! But I'd rather play my odds elsewhere, and buy the ESA. Worth it IMO.

My warranty is up in less than a year but I've had so few problems, and in playing the odds, the odds are clearly in Tesla's favour. That's how extended warranties work and what the price is based on. Automakers make money on extended warranties. So I do need to get "lucky" by having repairs that exceed the costs of the extended warranty and deductible during the warranty period. The battery pack and drive unit are already covered for 8 years so no worries there. I think I'll play my odds elsewhere where they are more in my favour and not buy the extended warranty. My peace of mind is more affected by buying it and having nothing go wrong when I can invest in places I know my money will grow. Plus, if something does go wrong it won't break the bank.

Extended Car Warranties Are an Expensive Gamble - Consumer Reports

Reactions: Sasmania
My warranty is up in less than a year but I've had so few problems, and in playing the odds, the odds are clearly in Tesla's favour. That's how extended warranties work and what the price is based on. Automakers make money on extended warranties. So I do need to get "lucky" by having repairs that exceed the costs of the extended warranty and deductible during the warranty period. The battery pack and drive unit are already covered for 8 years so no worries there. I think I'll play my odds elsewhere where they are more in my favour and not buy the extended warranty. My peace of mind is more affected by buying it and having nothing go wrong when I can invest in places I know my money will grow. Plus, if something does go wrong it won't break the bank.

Extended Car Warranties Are an Expensive Gamble - Consumer Reports

That's the way I figured it too especially given that I'll blow through the 50 to 100K range in about 1.5 years. i.e. once I hit 50K I plan to start driving the MS full time rather than swapping between my prius and and MS every other commute. I have 36K now. By the time I hit 50K on the MS, my prius will have 300K miles on it and it will be time to put it out to pasture.

b) Buying it from another owner, the other owner buys the extended warranty before selling it to you - and transfers the ESA in your name for $100 fee to Tesla

Tesla recently changed the ESA rules so you can buy it after the fact when buying a used/private sale car. You don't have to be the first owner. Also, there's no $100 transfer fee either. I just both bought and sold a car with the ESA, and they transferred over instantly with the MyTesla account.

see: Vehicle Warranty