Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering Experiment :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I tried a Yoke steering. Followed directions to the dot. All good except the steering was a bit tilted when I was done and started driving. So I put back the original steering. I reinstalled my steering and all looks good except the steering is a bit tilted again when going straight unlike before. I reopened and centered the clock spring and all still good but it is again tilted when driving. Better than before. It keeps coming out slightly tilted after like 3 corrections. There is offset of 4 degrees in the service mode of the vehicle. Should I reset that? Tesla Model X 2018 88K miles.

Thats what i thought but wanted to make sure 😅
Steering wheel has physical connection to wheels, clock spring offset not going to fix that. Usually this miss-alignment is fixed by wheel alignment.
If u skip a spline on the shaft then it'll be tilted like that but usually there's a key so it'll only go one way.
Not really sure what's happening...
But if its centered now then u should be good.

Reactions: Skjha1
Is it still throwing errors? If you are still getting all kinds of errors then you may have an issue with your clock spring or its position,
No errors any more after resetting it. I think it was me who put the steering back in haste and the clock spring moved by few degrees. It just took me a few tries to center it carefully and put the steering back. I erased all the offset in the Service mode and now all erros gone. AP working fine too. Steering is dead centered. I had alignment done anyway 5 months ago with new tires. Since I myself put the steering wrong and now corrected it I do not think anything else is needed. Thoughts?