Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can’t cover more than 50% of your roof with solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has also been brought to my attention that ESS which are charged as part of a PV solar array fit into the state definition of a Solar Energy system and therefore the AHJ are not supposed to make rules against the location of them from a planning perspective. The Solar Rights Act is intended to prevent local AHJ from NIMBY rules against solar and energy storage systems.

However, some local jurisdictions enforce setbacks to an ESS system, which would be proposed on a wall of an existing permitted house or garage. Some local jurisdictions have increased setbacks from the property line and for instance you are not allowed to install your ess (or any new construction) within 40' of the front property lines or 20' from the side and rear PL. This is despite some of these homes having parts of the house including the service entrance or the garage inside this setback.

We just started pushing back against one of them, and the plan check comments we got in response showed they were not happy with the challenge to their authority. In this case it is the silliest thing because the house is like 10' away from the 10' setback. They are literally denying an ESS permit because it sticks off the wall 6 inches into a 10' setback.
nuts

However, some local jurisdictions enforce setbacks to an ESS system, which would be proposed on a wall of an existing permitted house or garage. Some local jurisdictions have increased setbacks from the property line and for instance you are not allowed to install your ess (or any new construction) within 40' of the front property lines or 20' from the side and rear PL. This is despite some of these homes having parts of the house including the service entrance or the garage inside this setback.
That seems quite ridiculous given it's a very common layout to have the service entrance on the property line wall in the garage, which would place it well within that setback. My entire neighborhood has a layout that such that the service entrance is approximately 5 feet from the side property line and everyone installs their solar equipment there given that is the only place that makes sense.
Done any other way would probably force a AC coupled system being the only viable design or require rewiring the whole solar panel system.

Ugh, I guess the County just doesn't think an owner/idiot such as myself should be adding solar to my house. I guess I should be finding a licensed solar professional. If only I could GODDAMN FIND ONE. As I noted in my other threads, nobody wants to take on the small/lame job of adding 12 panels and 12 micros because they got so many juicy other projects in the hopper. And nobody wants to touch my existing Enphase Envoy and Tesla Powerwall system because it's scarrrryyyy.

Red tape is the pits.

It has also been brought to my attention that ESS which are charged as part of a PV solar array fit into the state definition of a Solar Energy system and therefore the AHJ are not supposed to make rules against the location of them from a planning perspective. The Solar Rights Act is intended to prevent local AHJ from NIMBY rules against solar and energy storage systems.

We just started pushing back against one of them, and the plan check comments we got in response showed they were not happy with the challenge to their authority. In this case it is the silliest thing because the house is like 10' away from the 10' setback. They are literally denying an ESS permit because it sticks off the wall 6 inches into a 10' setback.

I feel like my property/lot is so small that if you literally cannot go 10' back from each property line. Because the resulting spot would be in my living room.

Huh, Contra Costa County tells me a roof can’t have more than 50% of it covered with solar.

Since a solar panel is like 18.5 square feet, I’d need like 90 to hit this magical 50% limit.

But how do you prove to them what is your roof surface area? Like if you say you’re going to end up with 35 panels = 650 sqft of solar, how do you prove your roof surface area is greater than 1,350 sqft? Like do you need an independent survey using a drone? Is Google maps sufficient?

Gahhh why is this solar stuff so goddamn annoying???????

PS, I hate PG&E.
I am in Contra Costa County also, do you have the survey from your solar company? If you do it can be evidence you can use or may have to hire an independent surveyor

I am in Contra Costa County also, do you have the survey from your solar company? If you do it can be evidence you can use or may have to hire an independent surveyor

That's the problem, I was submitting as a DIY since solar contractors can't/won't do a solar expansion to an existing system with ESS. The County wants me to go through a solar installer. I asked the county to recommend an installer and they said they can't do that.

Red tape = sucks.