Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You maniacs without PPF, how is your paint holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the front bumper of a Model 3? You didn't use a heat gun or a razor blade?

Do you not park your car in the sun? Your paint will get much hotter sitting in mid day summer sun than it ever would with a heat gun used during proper installation of ppf lol. And again with the razor blade. If you used a shop that cut into your paint…issue is with your choice of shop/installer and has nothing to do with the proper installation of ppf.

No PPF, one tiny rock chip on the front end since March. Several rock chips just in front of the rear wheels where the fenders flare, and several on the side skirts. If I were going to spend any money on it (which I won't), I'd PPF the rear fender flares and rockers over the front end. Note: One way to avoid rock chips on the front of any car is to avoid riding people's arses on the highway.

Tim

Last edited:
No PPF. 25K... (to be fair, it did get a new front bumper at around 1500 miles). 3 long road trips. Bumper is perfect. Random rock chip on right behind the front passenger tire. Larger rock chip on drivers side rear rocker. Nothing I'm too fussed about. Both aren't very noticeable with some touchup paint.

Reactions: TBrownTX
No PPF here, almost did it, decided I could spend that money elsewhere - not 1 issue. I do a 303 graphine coating every 6 months, washing is simple, everything comes right off. I live in the valley of Los Angeles, it’s always dusty, my neighbors tree blows stuff all over the car and lately it’s been out in the rain and in the summer it’s 105º. Wouldn’t ever do PPF honestly, I think it’s a crazy rip off, just a personal opinion though. I do believe it has lots of benefits and protects the paint, I just don’t feel the cost is worth it. Almost did it on my classic Mustang since it has fresh paint but I’m on the fence of that as well!

Might wrap the Tesla in the garage soon though!

5,200 miles without PPF. Just one tiny little nick at the top of the front bumper so far. Totally wasn’t worth for me IMHO to do PPF. It’s a car; it’s not gonna be perfect. I don’t spend time staring at it.

The only time I even notice the tiny nick is when I wash it. So I just go about my life, enjoy the car, and not worry about little “beauty marks”.

200k later. The hood and bumper came off no problem. No paint lost. No razor blades. Just a new PPF on hood and bumper. Car looks brand new. Not for everyone, but it is for me.
PXL_20211217_212200304.MP~2.jpg

I always question the value of PPF. If it is for paint protection, how much does it cost to respray the hook or the bumper? With PPF, how much MORE do you pay when you have a front fender bender? You would have to pay for fixing the fender as well as losing the original cost you paid for that fender's PPF, plus adding PPF back to that newly repaired fender. It might not be as bad if insurance covers the replacing the PPF. But does it?
Me too and I have the garbage from the previous owner who owned the car for 7 months. The edges are looking dirty, there are some bubbles in it apparently from the BMW dealership not washing it correct, but regardless of that, it doesn't look as nice as the rest of the car without PPF on it. I have it covering the whole front of the car. Its much harder to get road grime off and as mentioned, how much does it really cost to respray if you are that upset with the chips?

Reactions: TBrownTX
We have two model 3’s. Hers is just as Elon made it. Mine has $1800 worth of PPF on the front end. I drive maybe x2 miles in a year vs her. In the end - the front end of my car looks like new. The front end of her car has a handful of small chips. But nothing terrible. We touch them up from time to time. Her hood etc all look same as mine. They get washed by hand at home sometimes and other times car washes. All in all - the film clearly has made a difference. Do I think it’s worth almost 2k? For me yes. But I fixate in little things. She definitely has no regrets about leaving her car as is and investing the money she saved.

Reactions: N54TT