Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You Tube log in Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it to log in and here is how.

Go to the YouTube app, look for runescape mobile, click on the pre-register it will launch Google play logging . Enter your info there. And it should work.

I'll make a video if needed.

Made a quick one

Thank you FastAttack!! This works.....to summarize:
(1) Go to YouTube under Theater in UI,
(2) search for "runescape mobile",
(3) Click on "Everything you SHOULD do on Runescape Mobile",
(4) Click on "Pre-register here RuneScape",
(5) Click on "Pre-register with Google Play",
(6) Click on "sign in" in the upper right of the screen,
(7) Enter your Google email and password,
(8) hit back button a number of times to get back into YouTube and you should be logged in

Thanks for the video! I guess it doesn’t work for everyone, just tried that and I’m still getting the “couldn’t sign you in” page. Ugh this is so annoying.
One more thing to try before doing this

Try turn on Google less secure login option:

1. Log into Google Sign in - Google Accounts
2. Turn off 2-Step verification
3. Turn on "Less secure app access"

After logging into Google in your Tesla via the runescape method. Once logged in. you can turn off "Less secure app access" and turn on 2-Step verification.

Reactions: Greg007
One more thing to try before doing this

Try turn on Google less secure login option:

1. Log into Google Sign in - Google Accounts
2. Turn off 2-Step verification
3. Turn on "Less secure app access"

After logging into Google in your Tesla via the runescape method. Once logged in. you can turn off "Less secure app access" and turn on 2-Step verification.
I finally got it to work using this workaround I found on reddit:

..."the YouTube app on the Tesla appears to be running inside of its own sandbox. So the trick is to log into runescape.com while actually still inside of the YouTube app. What I did was find a video that has a link to runescape in the description. What worked for me was to search for “runescape on mobile 2021” and open that first video. Pause the video and scroll down until you see a link to rs.game/RuneScapeMobile. Click that link then you will find yourself on the runescape website while still INSIDE of the YouTube app. NOW, you should do the part where you create a runescape account using Google (or login if you already created it).

After you have authenticated this way, while still inside of the Tesla YouTube app"...
"After logging into RuneScape, I had to get back to YouTube.com within that session for it to work. If I just close out of YouTube and reopen it didn't work.

To do this, I went to the support page on RuneScape and typed in YouTube. It then had an article that had the link to their YouTube channel. After clicking that, I was logged in on the YouTube app. Closing and reopening the app then worked."

I don't have 2-factor auth on for my Google account. Will try the plex.tv idea when my wife comes back with the car....
No joy with the Plex.tv try either. I guess I will try the process noted above from reddit, but frankly, if it only logs you in for the current session, what's the point? At least Netflix works, and keeps you logged in... I wonder if you can stream videos from YouTube on the phone?

Well I'm halfway there. I went to myaccounts.google.com/lesssecureapps and turned 'on' the ability for those apps to access my Google account. Then went to runescape.com on the car's browser and was able to do the 'log in with Google' method - so now I am logged in to Google in the car. However, when I try and log into YouTube, I get the same error message as before. The same is true when I go into YouTube from the car's browser (which then appears to switch over to the car's app). Oh well, at this point, I guess I will try it again after the next SW update and see if they have fixed it.

Tesla really needs to implement phone login for YouTube, Netflix and Hulu like you use on a TV. You go to like youtube.com/active and put in a code and it logs you in. I use very long passwords with LastPass, so typing them in even if they did work is a pain in the ass.

Well I'm halfway there. I went to myaccounts.google.com/lesssecureapps and turned 'on' the ability for those apps to access my Google account. Then went to runescape.com on the car's browser and was able to do the 'log in with Google' method - so now I am logged in to Google in the car. However, when I try and log into YouTube, I get the same error message as before. The same is true when I go into YouTube from the car's browser (which then appears to switch over to the car's app). Oh well, at this point, I guess I will try it again after the next SW update and see if they have fixed it.
I was waiting for my daughter's train this morning so decided to watch some videos and lo and behold, it let me log in! So I guess I needed to wait a bit after turning 'on' the less secure app feature in Google.

Reactions: Greg007