Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your comments on Elon's letter to Tesla employees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your Patagonia tale is interesting. I am a member of REI and very often bother/awake them to do more for environment. Telling them that nice & tough outdoor gears won't protect/preserve the outdoor & natural areas. That REI should reserve & install EV chargers on their parking lots like JAX outdoor gears do. That REI parking lots is most of the time full of gas/diesel guzzling vehicles-those drivers think they love nature while they also ruin/destroy it, too.
As a fellow REI member, I've also noticed that REI is quite eager to promote "adventure" travel all over the globe. Such travel does have some benefits, but carbon emissions associated with international vacation flights pretty much dwarf any efforts to promote fancy water bottles rather than single-use plastics, etc... How about sponsoring some EV charging stations in or near our national parks close to home?

As for Patagonia, I don't think you can compare an apparel company with Tesla, a company that's seeking to simultaneously and rapidly disrupt multiple industries with challenging economics. When you're trying to grow fast, it's tough to do a perfect job of hiring and balancing resources. As much as I hate to see people losing their jobs, I'm thankful that Tesla isn't forced to keep everyone forever. With very few exceptions, people will find other jobs.

Tesla hired a lot of people who replaced non-performing robots. Now robots and production line optimization’s are replacing people.

For example, some of the workforce reductions are due to new automated battery pack production line that Grohmann has designed and which was supposed to be operational by end of 2018.

I've always thought something smells about the company talking about sustainable transportation as their primary motto, and then taking its sweeeet time designing falcon doors on an suv which is not even that much either of a sport or utility, yet sets an average citizen back 2.5 to 3 years of his/her average US income (assuming he/she doesn't eat or pay taxes). Or spending time on promoting flame throwers for that matter.

Yes, I understand that in the current system where the costs of climate change and pollution are not directly charged by the market to contributors, and the system values only immediate short-term human gratification, the goal of sustainable transportation is predicated on building a business well valued by this myopic market system.

Yet i still think there was plenty tongue-in-cheek in company actions vs. stated goals. A lot of liquidity problems came from over-engineering attempts of a 13 yr old in a grown man body who simply doesn't know when (or simply want) to stop playing and start working on a goal. He keeps telling of importance of "having fun in the process", well, yes it is important, but not if it significantly sets back the very real cancer treatment we need!

The only redeeming feature in all this is the super charging framework. That's a move toward the "sustainable". I can forgive a lot for this. Even more so because everybody else failed to do it.

That said, i don't think they were particularly unaware of this coming, so i see no drama. Also, we should recall the times when an IBM PC that could run a 2 minute NTSC clip was worth $4.5k in 25-year-ago moneys. Yet now i can build a computer 3 orders of magnitude the specs of that for $500.

With time, new technical advances do tend to become a commodity. So I am not particularly concerned about eventual commoditizing EVs and charging networks. Objectively, they eventually should be cheaper (at least per hour of service) and run longer than current generation of cars, EVs or ICE.

Bottom line, i do like Tesla, but i somewhat less than adore Elon. He has access to a significant resource of mankind, and with this must come responsibility. I think the company would have done a bit better if his impulses were better reviewed and kept in check.

My final thought about this email is this.

I have always failed to understand why execs feel a need to put a message of great past acheivements and glorious company future goals along with the message that for some of its people these goals and achievements will not matter anymore.

It's always felt like a surgeon telling the patient, look, i have take out one of your kidneys, so you will have significantly tougher times ahead of you, at least in immediate short term. But look at the bright side! By doing that to you i am a little closer to putting my kids through college! Everybody understands why layoffs are sometimes necessary, and they will happen to anyone working for a salary once in a while. No need to rub it in. Keep your motivational speeches apart from the message that should in fact contain apology, if only out of common decency.

Last edited:
This is where I parked this morning. It isnt just SuperCharger network. This is garage owned by city of Chicago. Over the last month city added 9 Tesla Destination chargers and removed 2 Chargepoint chargers. So now this location of the garage has 11 Tesla Destination chargers and 1 J1772 chargerView attachment 369830

This is partial in part to that they might have had existing infrastructure there "Chargepoint". Having owned a chargepoint station myself, the yearly "licensing and maintenance" fees on those stations far exceed any cost of what power would ever be. Tesla gives away their own stations to municipalities and even includes a few J1772 stations in the deal. Only caveat is that these are dumb stations and you can't exactly bill for their use unless they are in a controlled access garage.

Having gone through my share of layoffs, it sucks. It really does. But looking at it objectively, layoffs and hiring sprees are a necessary function of a free capitalistic market. I wish companies kept employees on regardless of cost as a loyalty-building exercise (ie, IBM, HP from the old days of pensions) but that just isn't reality. Tesla's current CEO has brought the company this far. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders for business. I'll trust he knows what's best at this point in the game to keep the company healthy.

The best way to keep the company healthy, is to build Time Machine X, travel back to the Model 3 unveil, and tell himself that $35,000 is a horrible idea.

Reactions: OPRCE
Tesla's production ramp-up last year undoubtedly resulted in a demand for headcount that isn't required. To survive and be profitable Tesla cannot afford to keep any unnecessary staff on board. It's that simple. The number one priority is not keeping people on the payroll who are not critical to Tesla's mission and are not justifiable based upon their cost.
Is Tesla building the 100+ service centers and thousands of techs for the Model 3? We should be talking about staff increasing, not layoffs.

Is Tesla building the 100+ service centers and thousands of techs for the Model 3? We should be talking about staff increasing, not layoffs.

Excess assembly staff != service center staff. maybe we should get the accountants to service the model 3? I doubt any civilian knows exactly where these cuts are being done, but we should hope they're not in the service or delivery branches.

Hiring and firing people in an endless roller-coaster of self-inflicted "hells" is never going to help ... whereas learning how to do Quality Control would e.g. save the metric fücktons of cash ritually blown on reworking vehicles out in the factory parking lot or in customers' hands. That is a more sustainable path to profits than the headless chicken approach.

BMW doesn't make a car for the masses. I would like to see Tesla keep ASP at $50K. They aren't good enough at manufacturing to make a Camry.

Although BMW is known for being a premium drivers car they have made transportation for the masses. Bikes and cars, air craft engines etc.
Tesla has a goal of moving the masses with clean energy.
Is Tesla’s goal to only provide transportation for the wealthy?

The 35K model 3 is going to present even bigger problems for Tesla.
Where I live this will cost 50K due to the exchange. Same price as my wife's new Honda Pilot. People buying the cheaper 3 are not going to be Tesla fans or climate hero's. They are going to be regular people looking for a new car and are willing to take a chance on an EV.
And there will be many millions of these people.
These people are going to expect the same level of service, reliability, convenience and performance (range) out of a vehicle that costs the same amount of money. They won't be giving Tesla any slack regarding fit and finish or lack of service centers and used car sales.
Millions of model 3's would completely overwhelm the current system which is already overwhelmed. And then there is the matter of used car sales and selling parts and manuals to owners who whish to service there own vehicles or take them to a local shop.
Can Tesla support many millions of owners? Not a chance with the present system.

The 35K model 3 is going to present even bigger problems for Tesla.
Where I live this will cost 50K due to the exchange. Same price as my wife's new Honda Pilot. People buying the cheaper 3 are not going to be Tesla fans or climate hero's. They are going to be regular people looking for a new car and are willing to take a chance on an EV.
And there will be many millions of these people.
These people are going to expect the same level of service, reliability, convenience and performance (range) out of a vehicle that costs the same amount of money. They won't be giving Tesla any slack regarding fit and finish or lack of service centers and used car sales.
Millions of model 3's would completely overwhelm the current system which is already overwhelmed. And then there is the matter of used car sales and selling parts and manuals to owners who whish to service there own vehicles or take them to a local shop.
Can Tesla support many millions of owners? Not a chance with the present system.
Only other system is...

I'm really concerned about Tesla's focus on the magical $35K EV.

Is a Tesla really the right car for an average car buyer? Is an average car buyer even buying sedans?

Why can't they simply do a better job selling CPO's, and make those the lower cost option?

Elon claims that he's trying to usher in a the era of sustainable transportation. That's a great goal, but why not try to take sales away from vehicles that are inefficient. Like SUV's, and trucks?

How about a cargo van, and other commercial vehicles?

I'm also concerned that Tesla hasn't really appropriately addressed the needs of the average car buyer.

The need to be able to get parts to fix things. Like what happens if I scratch up my rear interior? Can I buy cheap parts to fix something like I can with other vehicles?

Can I get my vehicle repaired reasonably fast?

Can I easily charge in the city I live?

Is the insurance relatively easy to afford?

Until they can hit most of those then its better for Tesla to focus on the higher margin vehicles.

Selling Low margin vehicles in the US is a bloodbath.

Why bother? To replace an ICE car that gets 30+mpg?

Tesla hired a lot of people who replaced non-performing robots. Now robots and production line optimization’s are replacing people.

For example, some of the workforce reductions are due to new automated battery pack production line that Grohmann has designed and which was supposed to be operational by end of 2018.
This!

Just because Tesla couldn't automate as much of Model 3 production as they wanted to initially doesn't mean they'll never be able to automate it. They own Perbix and Grohmann after all. Limiting Model S/X sales also suggests they may be modernizing them and updating/automating their production line.

On the flip side, lower profits may indicate that other manufacturers aren't buying Tesla's ZEV credits, which would mean Tesla needs to reduce costs sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see whether or how long Tesla can survive in a purely capitalist economy but with the mission/ethos of essentially a nonprofit.

To truly have the impact that Musk envisions, as quickly as he believes is necessary, while remaining a public company - it will be a shoestring act with a lot of sacrifice.
"purely capitalist.." bahahaha As long as we have a tax incentives, QE, plunge protection teams, fiat currencies backed by nothing, corps writing the laws, lobbyists bribing politicians, and bailouts of corps (banks, GM, etc) with very few going to jail when they break laws- we are an economy based on corporatism... not capitalism..

IMO Tesla should give up making cars.
They can neither deliver new ones, nor CPO's. And service, if you can find a center is, sadly, today so bad I avoid it at all costs.

Tesla should focus on its batteries, charging network and maybe the semi's. Companies will pay for the semi's.
Consumers are a hard lot to satisfy.