Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your M3 will pay for itself, if you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made this spreadsheet to compare buying a new ICE car vs the Model 3
Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More
Nice sheet.
Similar to the one I created to calculate TCO over 10 years. One suggestion, make sure to add the DP back in at the end and also remove any trade-in value from the sales tax calc up front. At least that's how it works in Minnesota, we don't pay sales tax on the trade-in value. Not a HUGE difference in the end, but still worth noting.
Slightly altered template:
Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More

I'll re-work my TCO sheet later and post it up, too.

As a model S owner we switched to time of use electricity rates so that we charge during the night at the lowest possible rates. Soon we realized that we can reduce our cost further by going solar (not to mention the environmental benefit). My investment in solar increases the value of the house about the same amount so we are charging for free. Or another way to look at it is the solar payback is only 5.5 years on our investment.

A very compelling argument can be made for the benefit of switching away from gasoline. The convenience of having a full tank of electrons every morning and never going to a fuel station is a benefit that ICE drivers do not yet understand.

Reactions: EV-Bull