Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your preferred method of washing your model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: MaryAnning3
Which one do you use to dry.

Looks like I’m buying the ONR, the rags you suggested, what about the dry cloth(which do you recommend), am I missing anything else?

I use the chemical guys waffle or those above to dry ...my car has ppt and ceramic so very easy to clean ...you can get a flow master pressurized sprayer to mix the ONR with deionized water to make easier to do as well

Do people say the touchless car washes are still not good for our 3s? I guess they wouldn’t do as good of a job as a mitt and foam but are they damaging?

Great question Chris, actually when done correctly waterless washing can be safer than mitts and foam. Touchless car washes can be used as well as long as they are not a drive on unit that could damage the components of the car.

I waxed the car with Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. I think it helps keep the car cleaner and shed water after washing.

My wash procedure is to rinse the car with soft water, soap with Meguiars gold class shampoo using a mitt. Pretty standard to this point, here is where my method is different. I rinse the soap off with distilled water collected from my house A/C . In the summer here in So Cal I collect 5-10 gallons per day. I put the distilled water in a 5 gallon bucket and pump it out with a submersible pump to a garden hose.

After completely rinsing the car, about 7–8 gallons, I can let it air dry with no spots or typically I blow it dry with a cordless leaf blower. The water easily rolls off because of the wax. I detail the door frames, frunk, trunk and charge door with Costco yellow microfiber towels.

What is the leaf blower attachment?

It's just a shorty nozzle that necks down to about a 1.5" opening. Allows for some seriously focused air.

15340929584078850036438326329617.jpg

Reactions: Thomas Edison
So i’ve Never understood the aversion to the modern auto car wash. There are no brushes, rather a slowly rotating wheel with pieces of microfibre cloths cleaning the paint. Kinda like I do with a microfibre cloths. Initially the car is high pressure rinsed including underneath, then bathed in thick soapy foam, then the rotating microfibre cloth wheel thingy, then a rinse, then a spot free rinse, then a high volume air dry apron thingy and then a very slow rotating wormy wheel cleaner thingy and tire dressing thingy. Somewhere in there they apply wax. After almost three years the car looks like new. Once a year I pay 220 bucks to someone to claybar it, polish it and wax it as well as detail the inside. Honestly I suspect I would do as much damage to the car rubbing it down with solutions and microfibre cloths. Then again’ I’m probably not as picky as some. We have a 40 Dollar per month unlimited car wash subscription. We run it through 4 to 6 times per month. We live in a province with mild winters but it’s nice to always have the underside of the car clean as well. When we upgrade to a Tesla I suspect we’ll keep the same routine.

So i’ve Never understood the aversion to the modern auto car wash. There are no brushes, rather a slowly rotating wheel with pieces of microfibre cloths cleaning the paint. Kinda like I do with a microfibre cloths. Initially the car is high pressure rinsed including underneath, then bathed in thick soapy foam, then the rotating microfibre cloth wheel thingy, then a rinse, then a spot free rinse, then a high volume air dry apron thingy and then a very slow rotating wormy wheel cleaner thingy and tire dressing thingy. Somewhere in there they apply wax. After almost three years the car looks like new. Once a year I pay 220 bucks to someone to claybar it, polish it and wax it as well as detail the inside. Honestly I suspect I would do as much damage to the car rubbing it down with solutions and microfibre cloths. Then again’ I’m probably not as picky as some. We have a 40 Dollar per month unlimited car wash subscription. We run it through 4 to 6 times per month. We live in a province with mild winters but it’s nice to always have the underside of the car clean as well. When we upgrade to a Tesla I suspect we’ll keep the same routine.

Those rotating brushes are dirty and hit it so hard that it puts swirls and microscratches all over the car. Very noticable on dark cars.

But maybe your process works good too. Just fix the damage once a year. Depends on the color and what you find acceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Those rotating brushes are dirty and hit it so hard that it puts swirls and microscratches all over the car. Very noticable on dark cars.

But maybe your process works good too. Just fix the damage once a year. Depends on the color and what you find acceptable.

Yah I suppose maybe I would rethink it if I had a black car. But really, at least with our burgundy car it seems to be fine. Definetly helps to have a professional hit it with a power buffer once a year though.

I use the chemical guys waffle or those above to dry ...my car has ppt and ceramic so very easy to clean ...you can get a flow master pressurized sprayer to mix the ONR with deionized water to make easier to do as well
Is a pressurized sprayer any better than a regular spray bottle in this case? Do you have a water deionizer (they seem expensive)?