Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your preferred method of washing your model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7999A0B1-2380-4895-B6FA-C7D4D4E87A7C.jpeg
51B6DF24-27D4-4588-9EDF-C362F44FDA44.jpeg
5C08C40B-9AF3-4E8C-83B7-A12D38BC86C6.jpeg
7A49EB21-2689-4D83-8219-054E52E3F1A5.jpeg
0BFF97AA-CD83-4D41-B2CB-4E1D4B848461.jpeg
62D7366D-0A36-48BD-9994-2906F42C0256.jpeg
Ok finally got my simple chuck in the mail... I couldn’t wait until the weekend so I washed it at night... holy cow this thing works so damn good!!! Had to take it for a brisk drive down the freeway to get the water off cause the sun wasn’t out anymore.

One question... the pressure washer seems to run out of pressure hooked up to the simple chuck as if it’s pulling more water than what simple chuck can supply. Is my hose going to the pressure washer too short? It’s a 6ft leader hose to the pressure washer. Should the simple chuck be placed at the spigot then the 50ft of hose to the pressure washer instead?

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
View attachment 327465 View attachment 327466 View attachment 327467 View attachment 327468 View attachment 327469 View attachment 327470
Ok finally got my simple chuck in the mail... I couldn’t wait until the weekend so I washed it at night... holy cow this thing works so damn good!!! Had to take it for a brisk drive down the freeway to get the water off cause the sun wasn’t out anymore.

One question... the pressure washer seems to run out of pressure hooked up to the simple chuck as if it’s pulling more water than what simple chuck can supply. Is my hose going to the pressure washer too short? It’s a 6ft leader hose to the pressure washer. Should the simple chuck be placed at the spigot then the 50ft of hose to the pressure washer instead?

It loses pressure as it’s going thru filter ..I don’t connect pressure washer to it I will use a foam gun or pressure washer direct..and than use double chuck as the rinse ..as u only get so many filtered gallons before facing to replace filter ...beautiful car btw!

sroh and Remonster - just ordered ONR and the Kozak cloths. Look forward to trying them out.

Good luck Hans! Let us know how it goes.

He told me the paint correction is $300. That seems more labor intensive than applying the ceramic. Maybe I'll have him do the paint correction and then do the rest myself.

@hoops129,
The installer of course is going to try to convince you a pro should do it. They do have access to some products which are supposed to last longer. But I just applied a coat of CQuartz UK 3.0. First time I've done it and it came out perfect. It was a piece of cake. It's a wipe on, wait 30 seconds, buff off. The only way to screw it up is to apply too thick of a layer of coating.

The installer of course is going to try to convince you a pro should do it. They do have access to some products which are supposed to last longer. But I just applied a coat of CQuartz UK 3.0. First time I've done it and it came out perfect. It was a piece of cake. It's a wipe on, wait 30 seconds, buff off. The only way to screw it up is to apply too thick of a layer of coating.
Did you wash and rinse and then apply the CQuartz, or did you do more prep work ?

It loses pressure as it’s going thru filter ..I don’t connect pressure washer to it I will use a foam gun or pressure washer direct..and than use double chuck as the rinse ..as u only get so many filtered gallons before facing to replace filter ...beautiful car btw!
Thx for the compliments

I have the bypass kit (that loop of tube on top of the simplechuck) so I can bypass the filter media when I’m foaming. But even through the bypass it’s loosing pressure. In fact it was worse through the bypass.

I’m thinking maybe air got in the system? Or maybe it’s sucking air in through the plastic quick connects? Next time I wash I’ll try purging first.

Ok thinking out loud as i write this. I think I figured out what happened.
1) since this was my first time using this... the filter media wasn’t filled with water
2) bypass was set to bypass filter
3) if you look at the bypass on the exit side... it’s open to the unfiltered water, the filter media, and the leader hose to the pressure washer
4) so it’s pulling air from the unfilled filter media into the pressure washer
5) since foaming + dwell is my first step... that’s probably why pressure was low, the wand was vibrating, and pressure was low
6) when I switched to the spotless filters on the bypass it filled the media and the pressure washer worked better... but it kept sputtering every so often... probably air was still in the system

Hope that was the issue... I’ll wash another car tomorrow and see

• Love
43429674-28F0-4905-9E47-366F6CC9F383.jpeg
32BBA9A9-3022-4B77-BC83-03F06578575B.jpeg
C9C2A255-68A5-4C18-9A4F-995CCEBB2455.jpeg
916467CB-4697-4887-B847-35522F2E5B26.jpeg
A7C21706-B66A-42EC-9BB7-8D599E21684B.jpeg
Ok washed another car... this time I made sure the canisters where primed with water and I ran the pressure washer with motor off to purge the air out.

Had full pressure for foaming and full pressure for rinse.

My Model 3 is ceramic coated, but I washed my M3 isn’t ceramic coated... followed the same method. Foam with a foam gun & bypass set to unfiltered, dwell 5 min, rinse, quick 2 bucket soap, then rinse with bypass set to filtered for that spotless rinse.

I think it came out just as good.

I started thinking... where has this amazing device been all my life? Then I get sad realizing all the time spent drying and detailing all the water spots... time I can never get back... then I realize Simple Chuck is the greatest device in my car wash equipment.

• Love
Did you wash and rinse and then apply the CQuartz, or did you do more prep work ?

I did some additional work:

1. Wash with ONR and dry
2. Spray with iron remover, then rinse (the only iron was on the wheels, but still good to confirm)
3. Clay bar using a clay mitt.
4. Spray with ISO alcohol mix to strip the paint of any residue.
5. CQuartz UK 3.0

After the clay bar, I was prepared to do a one step paint correction, but I decided it wasn't needed. The entire process took about 3 hours. But I took my time since this is the first time I have applied ceramic coating.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Thinking about getting this one also due to amazon review, i'm no professional but just want to clean my car once a month. Is this easy to use? Do i just use it after each wash?

I like it. Works really well. I use it weekly without any pre-wash. My card does not get terribly dirty each week but it may be due to using this each weekend. Super easy to do in about 20 minutes max. Keeps the car nice and clean /shinny. I know many like to use ONR and that does work good, but no complaints here with this stuff from me.

I like it. Works really well. I use it weekly without any pre-wash. My card does not get terribly dirty each week but it may be due to using this each weekend. Super easy to do in about 20 minutes max. Keeps the car nice and clean /shinny. I know many like to use ONR and that does work good, but no complaints here with this stuff from me.
So this one or ONR?

Any comparisons or experiences to push you to one over the other?

I go way overboard...

1) Connect hose to (softened) water source
2) Connect hose to pressure washer
3) Pressure rinse entire car
4) Foam cannon entire car, let sit for 5 minutes
5) Wipe down with a microfiber mitt
6) Pressure rinse entire car
7) Use a squeegee to get water quickly off of the glass
8) Use a leaf blower with a special attachment to dry the rest of the car as much as possible
9) Touch up with microfiber towels
10) Clean wheels with car soap and microfiber cloths

Takes about 1.5-2 hours.
What special attachment do you use for the leaf blower? Would love it if you have a link. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I haven't received my 3 yet, but typically in my current car I go to your everyday car wash couple times a month since I funny have a house to wash it at, and don't think anything of it. With my model 3, I don't plan on that as I hear car washes are bad for your paint. What is the best way to wash it without having a home to do the "2 bucket" method?

I've become an expert on this! Back in 2013 when I bought my first Tesla (a red Model S) the detailers employed by Tesla Service Center in Burbank educated me about waterless car wash (which I fell in love with). It has the wax already in it and is more lubricating than water so it's safer than taking your car to a car wash, where they use dirty water (micro-particles of soot and brake dust), thin and often dirty "rinsed" rags, and untrained workers doing circular scrubbing motions which will show up later in the clear coat. (As well as destroying rims of low-profile tires going through the "tunnel"). Since then I became a certified detailer myself and have shopped a lot of products and learned a lot about Teslas and other cars as well.

If you use waterless wash with a really thick nap microfiber cloth, it's inexpensive, super easy to use (you can do half a car and finish later, and do it anywhere - no equipment) and you'll have the added benefit of conserving water. You just spray, wipe and buff and it's really rewarding to see that shine come up as you do it.

I hope this information was helpful! I have a lot more information on my website.

I'm sure you will get far more knowledgeable posters than me commenting, but in your situation I'd look at first applying a ceramic coat (either DIY if you are comfortable or have it done professionally). Then to keep the car looking great, "waterless" wipe-down washes (e.g. Optimum No-Rinse, aka ONR) that you can do yourself with a spray bottle and some microfiber towels.

This is what I plan on doing for the wife's new 3 - she likes a clean, sparkling car but gets impatient waiting for me to wash/wax so she goes through those gas station washes...:eek:

Why doesn't she just wash her own car?

Why doesn't she just wash her own car?
Hahahahahahahahaha! That'll be the day.

As a guy, it's our job to care about what the cars and the house look like. Not to be sexist, but all the women I know are more concerned about what the living room looks like. I can't bring friends over w/o days notice.

I have been using Wash Wax All available on Amazon on my fully wrapped Model 3 for two years now. It works great, wipe on buff and done.
That's great, but I have exposed paint on my car. I would be very nervous about running a towel over the car until I have hosed off the loose dust and bird poop. I do have vinyl wrap on the nose of the car, so I am happy to scrub the bugs off after a lot of driving, but if I am gonna bathe the car anyway I just get out a bucket and hose and dry with the yard blower and a clean microfiber that goes on to wipe down all the interior surfaces and finally the wheels.

When I lived in LA I used the California Duster, as that was all I ever got on my car was dust, and it did a great job of keeping my Pinto looking great. Now I live by the SF Bay water so with greater humidity comes more things stuck to my car.

Last edited: