Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your wheels are probably bent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: your wheels are probably bent, but not detectable by the naked eye. Don’t expect a tire shop to tell you unless you specifically ask them to look for wobble on their balance machine. Inspect, then go get them trued and refinished.

Recently had a retired Lambo tech buddy come into town to hang out and wrench on my Audi with me. We went for a ride in my M3P and he immediately noticed something was wrong with the wheels. I had new Michelin summer tires installed on the 2018 OEM M3P wheels prolly less than 500 miles ago. Shouldn’t they have told me a wheel was bent? But I trust my buddy over anyone else, especially a tire tech (no shade, I worked at Discount Tire 18 years ago when I was in college).

So we took the car to Les Schwab and asked them to balance all wheels but to let us see them on the balance machine. 2 wheels badly bent, one not quite as bad, and one true. No visibly detectable damage whatsoever. So I’ll be getting all 4 wheels trued and refinished when I swap on winter wheels here pretty soon. My guess is Tesla wheels are poorly constructed and many Teslas on the road are driving around on warped wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Had an ordinary M3 wheel crack recently, never had this happen to me before after years of performance and aftermarket wheel usage. I have had wheels get bent though, and I suspect it's actually reasonably common across many manufacturer's wheels. I had two wheels made by Enkei for Tirerack get bent in a PA construction zone and one is still on the car because the bend, while detectable, was mild enough to not bother me on the road. Note that there are numerous threads on Tesla's various performace wheel options getting cracked or bent, perhaps more commonly than other company's but more data would be needed.