Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YP not having track mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I figured that when the Y dropped, the SR, LR and P models would be the same as the 3's offerings, which it just costing 10% more, being 10% slower etc.

Some talk on Reddit though, suggested that the P wouldn't have track mode that "aint nobody tracking their CUV/Crossover"
This upset me. Based on all the turbo Merc, BMW, VAG CUV's i see around me; people buy a lot of fastish CUV's. I thought the only decision i needed to make on the "buy 3 or Y" was around "do i want a lift gate, higher seats, more interior room, cargo" etc. I never thought a YP would lack features that are on the 3.

Thoughts appreciated

Hi All,

I figured that when the Y dropped, the SR, LR and P models would be the same as the 3's offerings, which it just costing 10% more, being 10% slower etc.

Some talk on Reddit though, suggested that the P wouldn't have track mode that "aint nobody tracking their CUV/Crossover"
This upset me. Based on all the turbo Merc, BMW, VAG CUV's i see around me; people buy a lot of fastish CUV's. I thought the only decision i needed to make on the "buy 3 or Y" was around "do i want a lift gate, higher seats, more interior room, cargo" etc. I never thought a YP would lack features that are on the 3.

Thoughts appreciated
I’m with you...unfortunately my 3 got totaled after 9 awesome months ...so I decided to change my order to the Y since it looks like my delivery will be similar

I’m disappointed that 3 LR has a 4.4 sec speed for 0-60 .... and the YLR is more expensive but only 4.8. I can’t wait to see the Y in person. I hope I made the right choice. Does anyone know when we’ll see them in dealerships?

I’m with you...unfortunately my 3 got totaled after 9 awesome months ...so I decided to change my order to the Y since it looks like my delivery will be similar

I’m disappointed that 3 LR has a 4.4 sec speed for 0-60 .... and the YLR is more expensive but only 4.8. I can’t wait to see the Y in person. I hope I made the right choice. Does anyone know when we’ll see them in dealerships?

I currently have a Model 3 on order.... I am wondering if I should postpone until I see a Model Y.... How long do you think it would take for delivery if someone ordered a Model Y today?

...I’m disappointed that 3 LR has a 4.4 sec speed for 0-60 .... and the YLR is more expensive but only 4.8. I can’t wait to see the Y in person. I hope I made the right choice. Does anyone know when we’ll see them in dealerships?

Im quite confident that it was paramount that news of the Y, didnt slow down purchases of the 3; that would kill Tesla. This is reason for the subtle Y event etc. I note last week that as Tesla brought delivery date for Y forward, they released that it would have better range. That could sway some potential 3 buyers to hold out for Y, but its ok right, as Tesla will be getting paid for those Y's soon?
With the above logic, i have a feeling they are going to release adjusted performance numbers that are much closer to the 3. How close those numbers are to the 3 as well as "track mode or no track mode" will add into the decision many people have to make. Will the sedan always have faster specs than the CUV? hmmm

...How long do you think it would take for delivery if someone ordered a Model Y today?

Id say mid this year for those in the US, later for UK, even later for Australia :S

I currently have a Model 3 on order.... I am wondering if I should postpone until I see a Model Y.... How long do you think it would take for delivery if someone ordered a Model Y today?
That’s what I’m doing. I have 2 orders...3 and Y. I’ll delay the 3 till I see the Y and cancel the one I don’t want .

Performance Y should be delivered starting March...I’m hoping LR AWD is right afterwards. Your delivery depends on your options...the most expensive 5 seater ones are delivered first and the 7 seaters much later

My “local” road course (Hallett Motor Racing Circuit) won’t let SUVs or pickups participate in track day events at all. Presumably, that’s because or their higher risk of rollover. I suspect most places have similar bans on SUVs if you read their fine print. One could possibly get those rules rewritten to account for the lower CG of skateboard platform EVs, but changes like that are slow. If you’re wanting track mode to use at a closed course event, are you sure you can actually enter with the Model Y?

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and Fiddler
My “local” road course (Hallett Motor Racing Circuit) won’t let SUVs or pickups participate in track day events at all. Presumably, that’s because or their higher risk of rollover. I suspect most places have similar bans on SUVs if you read their fine print. One could possibly get those rules rewritten to account for the lower CG of skateboard platform EVs, but changes like that are slow. If you’re wanting track mode to use at a closed course event, are you sure you can actually enter with the Model Y?
With a model Y Performance that would be unfortunate, given the low center of gravity. Rules will be outdated as BEVs gradually take over.

Never say never with Tesla. If they get enough demand for a feature they can likely add it after the fact. And charge you at that time. Just look at FSD or the performance upgrade to the Model 3 LR. All available with a credit card.

Welcome to Tesla ownership where cars get more features and options after you make your initial purchase.

If you ordered a PMY you could get it a lot sooner( end of June)

There's a lot of speculation about this (and frankly hope this is the case). Does anyone know or have anything cited from Tesla that the P models will be rolling off the line first? It seems logical based off of the 3 rollout, also that the P model is the first with CARB/EPA done (if I understand this right?), but just checking we all just haven't become an echo chamber in places like this and inventing a fact.

Last edited: