Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ZEV warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the heck is a ZEV warranty?

Are you looking for a guarantee that your new Tesla will always be a Zero Emission Vehicle? I think you're safe, there. It's not terribly likely to suddenly sprout an ICE and start choking out exhaust.

Am I missing something?

I think he is talking about the CARB states hybrid battery warranty of 150,000 miles or 10 years. I think Tesla doesn't have to follow that, but they do have the 8 years and unlimited miles warranty on battery.. I would think that's better than the 150K/10yrs one.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS
I think he is talking about the CARB states hybrid battery warranty of 150,000 miles or 10 years. I think Tesla doesn't have to follow that, but they do have the 8 years and unlimited miles warranty on battery.. I would think that's better than the 150K/10yrs one.
Clarification: The Model 3's battery is NOT warranted for "Unlimited miles" It is 8 Year / 120,000 Miles (100,000 miles for Standard Range battery)
Vehicle Warranty | Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Need
From what I recall, regulations require manufacturers to warrant that emissions-control equipment last for a certain period; I think it was 10 years or 150k miles.

The traction battery in a PHEV counts as emission-control for the ICE, and so must be fully warranted (at least in areas subject to the regulation). Somebody in the industry long ago indicated to me that's why GM only allowed use of 10-12 of 16-17 kWh in the Volts - to make sure they perform to the same standard for a long time.

But the traction battery in a BEV is not emission-control equipment, and so is not subject to the regulation.