Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

«Safe» to buy new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our 3rd Tesla several months ago (2012 S P85, 2017 S 100D, 2018 X 100D).

Compared to our previous ICEs (including luxury cars), overall we've had fewer problems with our Tesla cars. The S P85 had more issues, since the Model S design was new, and it took a while for Tesla to refine the battery pack and motor design - after that, it required less maintenance than an ICE - and our S 100D and X 100D have been great.

As pointed out, the forums and media tend to focus on a small number of owners with issues. All manufacturers have a small number of owners with horror stories. The difference between Tesla and the others - Tesla has more visibility - if Tesla does a recall or there's an accident - it's reported in the news. The other manufacturers get relatively little press coverage, even through numerically they have more major accidents and much larger recalls than Tesla.

If many owners were having major issues, the forums would be swamped with complaints - Tesla's customer loyalty would tank. And that isn't happening.

For anyone that is considering purchase of a Tesla, due your research. Compare Tesla ownership with the ownership of other vehicles. Do a test drive - ask questions - and only purchase a Tesla if/when you're confident you're making the right decision.

Though, once you take a test drive, it's hard to go back to an ICE...

New to Tesla world, but have been reading positive and lots of scary negative stories related to X.

I love the size, practicality, and even the looks of it. But I am wondering if Tesla has mostly rectified issues with X, or is it still plagued by problems?

I have tried to seach forums for «issues with latest X», or somesuch, but cannot get clear answer for 2018 production.

Thank you all in advance and apologize if I failed to search correctly.

As a new MX owner with a number of things that need to be fixed by the SC, I would still say buy it! There is nothing like it on the market and if you like tech then there is nothing that will probably come close to the MX in the next 5 years. Good luck with your decision.

• Love
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
We picked up our 100D in early August '18. We have had it for a month and a half. Not going to lie, it has had a few issues. But Tesla is making them right, and while slightly annoying while happening, the car is amazing! We are currently waiting for our X to come back from getting a complete battery replacement this week. They will stop it off at our house tomorrow am, and pick up the loaner (brand new S100D) at that time. It has been gone for a week. Halfway home from delivery one of the FWD stopped latching and we had to continue to drive 230km with the alarm beeping and the door open (about an inch). They fixed that one in the driveway, mobile service drove 400km to fix it! The battery one is a manufacturing fluke and they had to flatbed the car 400km to the nearest SC. While there may be issues with your car, I will say that (so far) Tesla has gone out of their way to make things right with the smallest impact on our lives. In the big picture they are a "baby" car company making very complex machines with fancy parts. Things aren't always perfect. But I love the vision of the company and willing to put up with some growing pains to drive their car. We plan to buy another in the next year or so (probably an M3) to replace our 2017 Bolt. I smile every time I look at it. I have laughed out loud while driving it. I second the "it isn't just a car, it is a one-of-a-kind driving experience"

Congratulations. I'll be planing on a HPWC at our home and for some reason, I'm planing a 100amp service, not that there may be another Tesla in the garage but one never knows. Wink wink.
If you already have a 50a circuit, I would question whether or not you need to spend the money on a HPWC and 100a circuit. We've owned 5 EVs over the last 7 years and we've never really needed more than a 50a (welder or dryer) circuit. Unless you plan to drive a long way in the morning, come home, and drive a long distance again in the evening, the extra amperage doesn't help much, if at all. You just end up charging faster while you're asleep.

The persnickety people, I can only assume grew up with a silver spoon in their ass or have been so accustomed to luxury that they've lost all sense of what things cost (I'm sure that's going to offend some here). I'm not saying Teslas are a great value. If someone wants value, go buy a Camry. But when you stop and think about how unique it is to not require gasoline or the maintenance of a combustion engine; to get the speed, quiet ride, the technology, the updates and tune-abilty this car provides from a touchscreen, it's unchartered territory and provides a lot of value in those areas that no other auto makers can touch. And still, they'll bitch about how the interior fit or sound system isn't as good as their old Maserati or whatever other luxury brand they had. To me, it gives off a sense that some of these people are just spoiled and soft. I don't know, I guess I'm from a different place.

BINGO.

Im not exactly "rich," so having owned the nicest car i've ever owned makes me appreciate it more. i feel blessed and lucky to drive such a nice car when most people are stuck driving literal POSes. So no, i'm not going to complain if it takes a tesla employee 48 hours to email me.

Humility and graciousness eludes a lot though. While paying a lot of money for a car should entitle you to a flawless experience, this is real life and nothing goes as planned. Human beings are on the other side and are doing the best they can to put food on the table. Nobody is intentionally sabotaging cars on the factory or going out of their way to wrong someone, but a lot of people act like tesla has a vandetta against them.

498 miles on my new 75D, there was some problem which delayed delivery a week or so while they waited for parts at the service center. No other issues. Rides and drives like a dream. More than enough power to catch anything on the road. Still learning about the myriad settings. You'll love it.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and mucanta
I would go for it unless you are unusually picky about every single little imperfection. We've had our MX since Feb and now just completed 10k miles and the whole experience is just awesome! Wife and kids are totally in love with it too. Nothing has gone wrong so far, but there were a few very minor build issues that I will get sorted at first service. I'm so glad we took the risk with this car, it is totally worth it!

New to Tesla world, but have been reading positive and lots of scary negative stories related to X.

I love the size, practicality, and even the looks of it. But I am wondering if Tesla has mostly rectified issues with X, or is it still plagued by problems?

I have tried to seach forums for «issues with latest X», or somesuch, but cannot get clear answer for 2018 production.

Thank you all in advance and apologize if I failed to search correctly.
My wife and I have a 100D Model X with 5000 miles on it and we love it - we had a rubber trim issues on a falcon wing door and the SC fixed super it fast (they offered mobile rangers but it was just easier to get it done over a weekend we were gone). No other concerns at all and we use it like the family truckster - super comfortable, quiet, fast and convenient. It also gets the range as advertised and I drive from Silicon Valley to our Truckee CA house almost every week.

My wife and I have a 100D Model X with 5000 miles on it and we love it - we had a rubber trim issues on a falcon wing door and the SC fixed super it fast (they offered mobile rangers but it was just easier to get it done over a weekend we were gone). No other concerns at all and we use it like the family truckster - super comfortable, quiet, fast and convenient. It also gets the range as advertised and I drive from Silicon Valley to our Truckee CA house almost every week.

Can you make it on one charge?

Short story:
Personal experiance, if your car was made AFTER March 2018 you should be good.
Mine was made in August 2018, have not had any of the commonly mentioned (issues) my main concerns being the doors/sensors/alignment of trims etc

Longer story:
Researched tesla about a year before i pulled the trigger, loved the look of the car, reviews had me a little worried (part of rhe reason i waited a year) got a deal on a "showroom" model that never made it to the showroom (i bought it first).

The big thing to consider about tesla is unlike other car companies Tesla doesnt release new models by year, they do it when they want so what month it was made is important. Cars made in 2018 BEFORE march are basically 2017 models, after march have whatever minor tweaks they did.