Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘16 S90D or ‘19 P3D

‘16 S90D, ‘19 P3D, or “Future S”

• 1. Buy my own ‘16 S 90D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Buy a new P3D now

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • 3. Extend lease 6 months hoping for refreshed S

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang,

I asked this question nearly a year ago, and folks advised me to chill and wait a year to re-ask. So here I am:

My post–refresh model S 90 D is coming off of lease in June. It has first generation auto pilot, sunroof, rear facing jumpseats, and free supercharging for its life. 39k miles.

If you were in my shoes, which of the poll options below would you pursue?

Not interested in a model X or a model Y at this time.

I voted extend your lease because I assume if you are even considering buying your S, you like your S (the size, etc). I said this in another thread, but the S is not the car for me (feels too big and heavy). The Model 3 P feels nimble to me, and I have grown to LOVE (not like, love) the "single screen" without the cluster. The only things I would want for the interior (which I would hope might be part of an S refresh).

1. Options for Nicer Materials in various places (seat, console, dash, etc)
2. HUD (single biggest glaring flaw missing in the Model 3 P for such a minimalist / tech style design imo).

If you care about the tech at all (autopilot, etc) buying your car with AP1 means you just get left further behind, so buying your car would be completely out for me. Only you knows how much new tech in your car (and the potential to use it, even if you dont buy the car with it) matters. A Tesla with Ap1 would be a complete non starter for me.

Since you currently can not lease a Model 3 P if you buy one, and are a "model s" person, when they refresh it you likely will get pangs of wanting to get back into one, then end up taking a bath on getting out of it early.

So, wait, is my opinion.

Reactions: Jumper
You really need to add some info on why and what you want/need a car and what you do with it.

If that 3rd row seat matters the 3 isn't even an option. If you find the S "just big enough" ditto.

personally I found the S too big a car and while it handled well for something so huge it still was noticeably big and heavy

The 3 gets you a more agile car, with much newer driver assist stuff available, and generally better efficiency too, and for me has plenty of seatings and storage for my needs so it's an easy pick over an S. That won't be the case for those with other needs.

Reactions: Jumper