Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Service changes” - no car wash, Lyft, loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a follow up to my first service at the Marietta Service Center in GA. Appointment for 11am, made it there on time and greeted nicely. Took it in for LTE upgrade, new Key fob, they added the passenger air bag recall and a lift gate drain plug. Gave me a loaner P85D. Got a text at 4pm the same day that the car was ready and drove and picked it up. Awesome service!!

I don't mind the no car wash change since I'm one of those people who use two rinse buckets when I wash my car, My 2016 solid black paint looked great when I traded it in after three years, no scratches or swirl marks.

If you use 15+ micro fiber mitts then you don't need to rinse. After going to 2 and then 3 rinse buckets with grit guards, I found that if you use enough clean mitts to not have to rinse at all, there's no chance of contamination from a rinse and you end up using a lot less water and don't have to use any rinse buckets :)

Tesla has never washed my car. When I first got it, the Fremont location didn't do washes because of Fremont water restrictions. I was perfectly happy with this. Then they announced they could wash cars again the 6 or 7 times I was in after that had to make sure to write it all over the windows "DO NOT WASH". It's an almost guaranteed way to ruin your paint.

Swirl free with 85K miles even with a dedicated paint defect light.

• Love
Reactions: dragonxt and Seven7
Just surprisingly had the complete opposite experience here in the Pacific NW!

We needed some minor warranty attention to our new AWD M3 and also had an outstanding airbag recall for our 2014 P85. Received text that our service qualified for a mobile mechanic to......come.....to......our......house........to do the repairs!! (insert happy dance here!). This saved us 2 hours (and about $30+ x2 cars) roundtrip on the ferry plus having to hang out in SoDo Seattle for an entire day. The mechanic came to our home (YES!) and could not have been nicer, more professional, or patient while I peppered him with questions on our M3.

We've owned our P85 for several years, and this was a first!

Feeling pampered once again.......:cool:
Yes!
Mobile service is awesome. They come to you and can fix most things. Much easier that driving to the SC, waiting around for the car or driving a loaner. It takes none of my time.

I’m bringing in my Model S today for service & just got the following text. Little by little, the service experience is getting chipped away to the bare bones.......

Of course this may be specific to my location (Palm Springs, CA) but I thought I’d share:

In anticipation for your upcoming service appointment today, we wanted to share some recent changes with you.

As we continue to shift toward an environmentally sustainable process, we will no longer be providing courtesy car washes. However, we will still vacuum and clean windows at the end of your service.

Additionally, alternate transportation will be provided in the form of a Lyft Ride Pass (Lyft credits) or a rental vehicle, if available. If a rental vehicle is provided to you, we ask that you make arrangements to pick up your completed vehicle within 24 hours of notification.

Thank you,
Tesla Service Palm Springs

Wow. That's a shame. I just set up an appointment for my Model 3 this Friday in the Atlanta area and did not receive any email regarding limited transport and no car wash.

Thanks, Mike

At my service appointment, I told them not to wash the car, and the service advisor put up a sign. When I went to pick up my car, the service advisor couldn't find my car. In came someone who said that the car was in the wash bay. My SA ran to stop them from washing the car, and fortunately she stopped them in time.

I used to have a Mercedes, dealer used to wash but stopped doing that a few years ago. Ditto for my wife's Prius. Ditto for my daughter's Acura.
When the Teslas were a 'real new concept', percs were important to gain some traction. Not so much any longer.
Can you imagine the cost of washing every Tesla when there will be a million cars out in the not too distant future?

Did you buy the car because of the free car wash, or even because your S could be charged for free? They used to deliver the new car to your home. They used to bring your repaired flat tire back to your home. This all worked fine when there were only a few cars to deal with, but this no longer is the case.

Let's all remember why we purchased a car from a start up company, taking a risk in the process. And don't forget the fate of the de Lorean. None of us want that outcome.

Do they use a touch-less car wash to wash the cars? Our Mercedes dealer uses one of those and we have not had any issues and let them wash our car. They also used filtered water so there are no mineral deposits leaving water spots.

Basically it's possible to wash cars without damaging them with some basic care :p

Here in the SF Bay area we’ve been getting either a rental or Lyft credit for little while now. Lyft has been convenient a number of times since the service centers in our area are close to work. Done both depending on needed car use and timing of car in SvC. As for the car wash, I know alot of people don’t want them to wash their cars preferring to do it themselves. Our Model S just went in for an annual appt (bought the mainteance package after purchase) and since a section of the car had just had Xpel applied to it, we specifically asked for no car wash. I’ll have to ask my husband if that was even being offered to him now that I’ve seen the post here. We also have been getting a waterless car wash done elsewhere and prefer just taking it there.

Believe the Lyft credit has been $100 24-hr period as well.

Last edited:
Do they use a touch-less car wash to wash the cars? Our Mercedes dealer uses one of those and we have not had any issues and let them wash our car. They also used filtered water so there are no mineral deposits leaving water spots.

Basically it's possible to wash cars without damaging them with some basic care :p

They hand wash. Never heard of any Service Center equipped with machines.

I DONT want them to wash my car because I just prefer my detailing guy to do it, although I only let him detail it every 5 to 6 months (Now, I just dont have the time but it does hurt to look at my car and see a mud covered, M&M thats had a bite take out of it) but when I do get it detailed I get it DETAILED like a hardcore detail, I need to make sure my baby is sparkly clean! My SC has left their smudgy fingerprints all over my windows, seats, and door panels almost every time it goes in.

I DONT want them to wash my car because I just prefer my detailing guy to do it, although I only let him detail it every 5 to 6 months (Now, I just dont have the time but it does hurt to look at my car and see a mud covered, M&M thats had a bite take out of it) but when I do get it detailed I get it DETAILED like a hardcore detail, I need to make sure my baby is sparkly clean! My SC has left their smudgy fingerprints all over my windows, seats, and door panels almost every time it goes in.
I feel your pain.

Reactions: P85DBeast
I'm pretty particular too with my car washing technique - 2 buckets, etc...... what bothers me more is, suppose you're expecting a loaner and you find out you're getting a Lyft home? Do they even give you a Lyft credit to get back when it's done? I'm not a retiree; suppose I am counting on getting a loaner to go to work, then home, then back to work the next day etc? (I've only had same-day service 1 out of the 7 times I've brought my car in).
This is not new. They give you a lift credit for duration of service.

I was booking to get my 2 year service done this is the response I received from the dealership:
At Tesla, we make every effort to ensure our cars meet the highest standards and customers have a great ownership experience. With billions of electric miles and numerous engineering studies completed, we have updated our vehicle maintenance recommendations that best suit our unique fleet. To that end, we are no longer performing Annual Service/ Maintenances on any of our fleet vehicles. This will not impact nor compromise the warranty on your vehicle.

We will still be servicing vehicles as needed, based on symptoms described to us we can recommend what can be done base on your last service interval. If you are not exhibiting or experiencing any issues then you will not be required to schedule a service for your vehicle.

For your yellow border concern, Tesla is releasing a retrofit screen to prevent the yellow board from appearing again. The part should be available later on this year.

The air bags have yet to be distributed by the manufacturer. Once they are available we can have our mobile team visit you either at your home or work place.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.