Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 to 60 times and setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all..

3 weeks old Model 3 w/ 600 miles.
My 0-60 clocks between 6 and 6.5 seconds. :(

I measured it accurately using distances on Google Maps I pushed the car for and times I got, as well as using GPS based acceleration apps.

I tried steering modes from Comfort to Sport as per on call Tesla service rep's rather unconvincing advice, to no effect.

1. What have your 0-60 times been during the time you've owned?
  2. Are there unobvious tips or settings I can play with to improve this? Tesla touts 5.1 sec and someone got even 4.4 sec.

• Funny
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
using a stopwatch or phone accelerometer can be rough.

Having someone else take a video of the on screen speedometer and counting frames is better, but for best results use iOS PowerTools or Android Dashboard for Tesla. If you send me the zipped raw runlog I can tell you exactly what is going on with your torque and max power settings.

We have two Model 3 samples here already that are nearly identical. You should get an occasional sub 5 second time, even without the rollout.

Don't forget to charge your car first. That makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amit519
using a stopwatch can be rough.

Having someone else take a video of the on screen speedometer and counting frames is better, but for best results use iOS PowerTools or Android Dashboard for Tesla. If you send me the zipped raw runlog I can tell you exactly what is going on with your torque and max power settings.

We have two Model 3 samples here already that are nearly identical. You should get an occasional sub 5 second ttime, even without the rollout.

Don't forget to charge your car first. That makes a big difference.
can you elaborate on what 'rollout' is?

Hi all..

I measured it accurately using distances on Google Maps I pushed the car for and times I got, as well as using GPS based acceleration apps.

I tried steering modes from Comfort to Sport as per on call Tesla service rep's rather unconvincing advice, to no effect.

2. Are there unobvious tips or settings I can play with to improve this? Tesla touts 5.1 sec and someone got even 4.4 sec.
Maybe Tesla saw your YouTube video complaints and secretly sent you an OTA update to slow your car as retribution :p

On a serious note, if you saw the Edmunds videos, they note about a 0.5s difference between the 18 and 19 inch wheels with the latter being quicker.

Hi all..

There is too much lag/error with phone-based GPS to be useful, especially over a short time of ~5 seconds. More to the point, it's a Rube Goldberg way to get a 0-60 time considering you have a screen with a digital speedometer on it.

Here's the simplest way to measure your 0-60:
  1. Mount a phone so its camera can record the screen.
  2. Start recording video.
  3. Smash the go pedal.
  4. Pass 60 mph.
  5. Avoid the squirrel.
  6. Come to a stop.
  7. Stop recording on your phone.
That should be accurate to 0.1 seconds. Do several runs and average them together.

Make sure your battery is fully charged, your tires are warmed up, car is empty, and outside temp is moderate.

Just enjoy the car already.

If you go the screen recording route and it turns out your car is slow, there won't be anything to do except buy iOS Powertools to find out why. Is the torque low? Max Power? I would also do the run at close to full state of charge. We don't know what the battery SoC to power curve looks like for the 3. No need to introduce more variables

Last edited:
Reactions: classicjoy
No one is doubting the accuracy of Google Maps, we are just confused on why you are using Google Maps (or why you are steering in a 0-60 run).

How did you perform the run?

0-60 times are based on acceleration/time; distance has no bearing on the run.

Firstly, thanks a lot everyone for sharing ideas.

By Google Maps I meant I later put markers on actual Google maps as a postprocessing after my drive to measure distance traveled that way. First marker exactly where I started, second marker exactly where I hit 60 as reported on touchscreen.

I had the time measured separately while I drove.

This is to not rely on or avoid GPS lag and phone based inaccurate speed measurements.

I Wanted to measure this without major apparatus investment.