Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.44.2 this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update in .au around 9PM (+11) last night too during peak period of course (usually it's morning peak when updates)
So around 29 January at 10AM UTC

So far noticed today it preferred to charge a single PW at around 3KWh and started sending to grid excess above 3KWh from around 73% full. it was still sending 4KWh into it at 80% full the other day on the previous firmware

Just noticed my system updated too.

We had a schedule power outage from my power company last night. Historically when that happened, my Network storage device hooked to a small UPS would trigger a notification that there was a microsecond interruption in power. However, last night I got no notification which the house switched to full backup, so the transition to full backup power was more seamless. Will need a few more occurrences to verify, but pretty cool.

Just noticed my system updated too.

We had a schedule power outage from my power company last night. Historically when that happened, my Network storage device hooked to a small UPS would trigger a notification that there was a microsecond interruption in power. However, last night I got no notification which the house switched to full backup, so the transition to full backup power was more seamless. Will need a few more occurrences to verify, but pretty cool.

I have only had my powerwalls a few weeks at this point (solar since 2015, powerwalls since early january) but I remember reading here that, if the powerwalls are already providing power to your home (as in, are they in a discharging state) that it was seamless.

When I tested my system, that is what I found, as well. If the powerwalls were already providing power to the home, there was virtually no change / no lights flickering, nothing noticed there was an interruption. If the powerwalls are in some other state (being charged from solar, standby), there is enough of an interruption for some of my LED lights to flicker, UPSs to notice there was a power interruption, etc.

That may be what you experienced, but I can only go by what I saw when I tested my own home and what I remember reading here.

Reactions: bmah and ybbor
I have only had my powerwalls a few weeks at this point (solar since 2015, powerwalls since early january) but I remember reading here that, if the powerwalls are already providing power to your home (as in, are they in a discharging state) that it was seamless.

When I tested my system, that is what I found, as well. If the powerwalls were already providing power to the home, there was virtually no change / no lights flickering, nothing noticed there was an interruption. If the powerwalls are in some other state (being charged from solar, standby), there is enough of an interruption for some of my LED lights to flicker, UPSs to notice there was a power interruption, etc.

That may be what you experienced, but I can only go by what I saw when I tested my own home and what I remember reading here.

Ah, I bet you're right. That makes sense :)

How do you know if you got an update except remembering what your former version was and noticing the number is different? Do you get any type of notice? Also I THINK I was updated but never got a notice or a request to install so it's obviously not the same as the car updates.

How do you know if you got an update except remembering what your former version was and noticing the number is different? Do you get any type of notice? Also I THINK I was updated but never got a notice or a request to install so it's obviously not the same as the car updates.
There's no notification. Normally you just notice by looking in the app or connecting to the gateway's IP.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
There's no notification. Normally you just notice by looking in the app or connecting to the gateway's IP.

If you happen to be a SmartThings user, and have installed @Darwins Power Manager App installed, he has a notification preference that can trigger a push notification when the version numbers changes. Pretty useful. That was how I knew, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

That's not what I saw in my own testing, actually looking at my house's AC waveform on an oscilliscope, I saw the same behavior whether the PW was charging or discharging. I think the real issue is that the Gateway needs to island the house (open its transfer switch) before the Powerwall can take over as the microgrid. So as far as I could tell the period where the AC waveform stopped (about 3 cycles, ~50ms) was probably the time it took for the Gateway to detect the grid loss (probably takes a cycle just for that, the fun of AC is 60 times a second it looks like power went away, that's the time that PLC systems like X10 or Insteon use to do their communications), open its switch, and then command the Powerwall to take over the grid. Until that point it seems the PW is acting like a solar inverter, adding current to the bus but not able to function as a microgrid. Really I think it's pretty impressive they can do it that quickly for a potentially large amount of power. And most of my electronics seemed to survive those lost 3 cycles, though not everything, my main TV turns off, and while my older Mac mini survived my newer one (current model) rebooted. Lots more got jacked by the 65Hz when the PW tried to shut off the solar in my testing, haven't contacted Tesla to try to dial my system down yet.

That's not what I saw in my own testing, actually looking at my house's AC waveform on an oscilliscope, I saw the same behavior whether the PW was charging or discharging. I think the real issue is that the Gateway needs to island the house (open its transfer switch) before the Powerwall can take over as the microgrid. So as far as I could tell the period where the AC waveform stopped (about 3 cycles, ~50ms) was probably the time it took for the Gateway to detect the grid loss (probably takes a cycle just for that, the fun of AC is 60 times a second it looks like power went away, that's the time that PLC systems like X10 or Insteon use to do their communications), open its switch, and then command the Powerwall to take over the grid. Until that point it seems the PW is acting like a solar inverter, adding current to the bus but not able to function as a microgrid. Really I think it's pretty impressive they can do it that quickly for a potentially large amount of power. And most of my electronics seemed to survive those lost 3 cycles, though not everything, my main TV turns off, and while my older Mac mini survived my newer one (current model) rebooted. Lots more got jacked by the 65Hz when the PW tried to shut off the solar in my testing, haven't contacted Tesla to try to dial my system down yet.

I only tried it once, and only by looking (no oscilliscope etc). This is really good information, thanks for sharing.

What do you mean dial down your system?

From reading here, I am fairly sure this translates to:

"find the frequency that my inverter turns off the solar, and if lower than 65hz contact tesla and have them change the frequency the powerwalls send to shut off the solar to the number that the inverter requires, which should be lower than 65hz"

• Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
From reading here, I am fairly sure this translates to:

"find the frequency that my inverter turns off the solar, and if lower than 65hz contact tesla and have them change the frequency the powerwalls send to shut off the solar to the number that the inverter requires, which should be lower than 65hz"

Correct.

My inverters have a range of 45-65 hz so I guess I am stuck with this and my UPS might not work since it's capped at +/- 3 hz.

Well the good news is that I will probably rarely be at 100% for too long when not connected to the grid. Probably way shorter than the battery capacity of the UPS. Just hope it does not damage the UPS.