Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi move to new official Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the prompt from TeslaFi this morning to move to the new Tesla official API.

Has anyone done it yet?

Anything to report? Implications from email that it’s an urgent matter - we seemed to have lost logging sometime this morning.

I’m never one to want to be at bleeding edge but looks like this one has been forced on us.

Reactions: Doudeau
Got the prompt from TeslaFi this morning to move to the new Tesla official API.

Has anyone done it yet?

Anything to report? Implications from email that it’s an urgent matter - we seemed to have lost logging sometime this morning.

I’m never one to want to be at bleeding edge but looks like this one has been forced on us.
Just done it and it's quick and easy.
At least is officially recognised by Tesla now.

Reactions: MrBadger
…I perhaps foolishly trust TeslaFi and gave full access. I can always revoke permissions if I ever read about TF security concerns.

That was always the criticism of some third party apps like TeslaFi that they had full permissions over the car. I never had a problem with likes of TeslaFi but good to potentially have ability to lock things down a bit.

I am expecting the free discovery tier to become less free over time though. Not sure how TeslaFi will handle any potential cost, ie they manage it or let owner manage it.

I am expecting the free discovery tier to become less free over time though. Not sure how TeslaFi will handle any potential cost, ie they manage it or let owner manage it.
I am wondering about this as well. Guess all we can do is wait and see. I find TeslaFi worth the annual cost and have it on both our Tesla. I have tried TeslaMate but it was beyond my technical skills and I kept having issues (the plus is it got me hooked on the usefulness of Raspberry Pi).

Looks like full permissions is what is needed to give parity to previous TeslaFi functionality. But vehicle commands may be one that can be revoked without too much of an impact except for possibly 'wake up'.

Easy enough to do, and maybe too early, but not getting any API data through yet.

1706004989093.png

Looks like full permissions is what is needed to give parity to previous TeslaFi functionality. But vehicle commands may be one that can be revoked without too much of an impact except for possibly 'wake up'.

View attachment 1011433
I gave it the full beans. I haven't set up any automations but from reading postings on here from some very wise members there may be things I use it for in the future and I wanted to simplify things if I choose to do so.

I get this - subsequently followed the link and successfully got a new token, but still no data

View attachment 1011438
A couple of weeks ago I got one of the changelog emails that included info regarding the new API and tried to update via the account settings. I encountered the same problem you're having and gave up. This morning when I logged into TeslaFi there was a red banner just underneath the big TeslaFi Logo on the upper left saying I needed to update. Clicking that took me directly to a new reauthorisation screen which worked (I think). I wish I had kept some screengrabs for you.

• Helpful
I updated last night and gave full permission. Seems to be logging absolutely fine.

Has anyone tried adding a Tesla Key, either on this or another app (such as Watch for Tesla)? A glaring problem is you can't do this for a lease car - you have to be the owner!

IMG_7397.jpeg

This morning when I logged into TeslaFi there was a red banner just underneath the big TeslaFi Logo on the upper left saying I needed to update. Clicking that took me directly to a new reauthorisation screen which worked (I think). I wish I had kept some screengrabs for you.

Tl;dr now getting logging but initial location looks wrong. Hopefully it will sort itself out, but it’s now recording a drive. But didn’t get any logging for several hours after swapping to new api.

For others that might have got the email, followed the banner above which took me to Tesla where the options I posted above were.

Selected all of those which too me back to TeslaFi. Banner had gone. Waited a bit expecting to get regular idle logging. Even woke car via app. Still nothing.

Found message above in account settings. Followed the link - all looked ok, ie TeslaFi had a valid token etc but refreshed token anyway. That was confirmed as successful.

Still nothing.

However, several hours after doing this I get what looks to be correct behaviour - a drive followed by parked with sentry. However initial idle location is wrong and oddly, different to when I first checked it - that time it matched the location of the current drive. Just an anomaly that’s not important other than may confuse.

So fingers crossed all ok - just a bit of impatience on my behalf.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
Just noticed an anomaly with probably my most used feature.

Car asleep and not plugged in. Just tried to change the charge limit from TeslaFi.

TeslaFi reported command successfully received, but didn’t update the limit on the main screen.

Tried a few more times. Same TeslaFi behaviour.

Went into app via widget. Don’t know if that woke the car or TeslaFi did (suspect it’s the latter due to timing) but car was awake. As car not plugged in, no way to check charge limit in app.

Reverted back to TeslaFi via a fresh browser page, charge limit changed as expected.

So looks like it had worked, but didn’t get the feedback of charge limit within the normal timeframes you expect from TeslaFi (slow to wake would previously resulted in an unable to wake message), even after several page refreshes. Not sure if accessing via app had any bearing on things, or it was coincidental that things worked only after accessing it and it was the new browser page that did it.

I updated last night and gave full permission. Seems to be logging absolutely fine.

Has anyone tried adding a Tesla Key, either on this or another app (such as Watch for Tesla)? A glaring problem is you can't do this for a lease car - you have to be the owner!

View attachment 1011442
Yes. I get this. Can’t control the car now if you are leasing by the look of it. Looks like I will be stopping my subscription. I like using preheat schedules etc.

Moved to the new API this morning and had full logging on first drive an hour or so later. Interestingly though my intelligent Octopus connection has failed and currently won’t reconnect after deleting the car and starting from scratch again, am guessing that could be API related. Will call Octopus to see what they say if it doesn’t connect in next day or two.

now getting logging but initial location looks wrong

My experience: Monday I set up some one-off schedules in TeslaFi as I "was off somewhere" Tuesday morning (Top up to 100% an hour before departure, pre-condition for departure)

I also set the Charge Limit to 90% 5 minutes before overnight Off Peak. There was no indication of impending "New API" on Monday (although I had read it was coming from TeslaFi COMMs)

Tuesday morning I had Emails (for each car) to upgrade to new API. I did that, it was straightforward in my case, the overnight schedule for 90% had worked, but all the subsequent ones had failed so car was , and not ready for the trip.

Disappointed that TeslaFi did not implement this ahead of time (assuming that Tesla had actually told them :) )

My journeys (setting off about an hour after doing the upgrade / API Token approval login etc.) were fully logged (and car was not "lost")

However, the car SatNav had no idea what direction I was heading in ... route correctly showing in blue, but the red-car-arrow pointing wrong way and apparently going across ploughed fields. I rebooted screen and it was fine after that. Never seen that before, and maybe car needed reboot - not driven since previous update ... probably completely unrelated, only mentioning it just in case, but somewhat similar to what you saw in TeslaFi

• Informative