Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10,000 California Charging Stations Funded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If TX deployment is your proxy, they've seen it as a "good investment" to install 12 stations there.

It's actually not even that good. In the DFW area there are two stations: One at the airport and one at Walgreens, presumably neither one of which was paid for by eVgo. There are eight that have been in "permitting and construction" for about two years, and there are a number "dots on the map". "Dots on the map" are really fast and cheap to deploy. I wouldn't hold my breath the the ones in California will be deployed at a faster rate.

The other ten are in the Houston area. I haven't been following the rate of deployment there.

Like Evchels, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Before I have the time to answer other points, I perhaps should answer this:

Robert's assessment of the situation, on the other hand, is premised at least in part on the fact that he was paid to help make it happen in the first place- that is a fair observation to make, and were it I in his place, you'd have been the first one to make it.

It's a fair observation to make, but also fair to mention that he himself was the first one to point it out, in the first sentence in his first message in this thread.

Ahh, I was wondering how long it would take for this to come up again. Not that it's either true or relevant to this thread, as I've said nothing about the merits of fast charging in my assessment of the NRG deal, or whether SAE is better than CHAdeMO.

As far as I can remember from TransportEvolved, from several episodes, you've been continuously critical of *any* fast charging plans so far, including Walgreen's. Your idea about EVs seems to be that a bit more than a 100 mile range is sufficient for most, and that public charging should be free, so that EVs can appear as being a good deal, and that anything related to long trips with EVs is something we should stay away from, since that only makes EVs look bad. It is also very obvious that you have a strong relationship to the Volt, which is an alternative solution to medium/long trips. Whether those three things are related to each other, or not, is a different question, but it seems natural to question this. In a discussion like this, mentioning your (apparently) very critical mindset about fast-charging, in general, seems an equally fair observation in the context of your strong engagement for the Volt. It doesn't mean that you are necessarily biased, just as it doesn't mean that Robert is necessarily biased.

As far as I can remember from TransportEvolved, from several episodes, you've been continuously critical of *any* fast charging plans so far, including Walgreen's. Your idea about EVs seems to be that a bit more than a 100 mile range is sufficient for most, and that public charging should be free, so that EVs can appear as being a good deal, and that anything related to long trips with EVs is something we should stay away from, since that only makes EVs look bad. It is also very obvious that you have a strong relationship to the Volt, which is an alternative solution to medium/long trips. Whether those three things are related to each other, or not, is a different question, but it seems natural to question this. In a discussion like this, mentioning your (apparently) very critical mindset about fast-charging, in general, seems an equally fair observation in the context of your strong engagement for the Volt. It doesn't mean that you are necessarily biased, just as it doesn't mean that Robert is necessarily biased.

Norbert, it sounds like you can only be relieved to hear that not one of my positions or relationships is as you have stated it.

I've accepted that you have a certain view of me through which you insist on reading what you want into whatever I say here or elsewhere, but it doesn't mean that view is accurate or reliable.

No need to answer the other points.

Norbert, it sounds like you can only be relieved to hear that not one of my positions or relationships is as you have stated it.

I've accepted that you have a certain view of me through which you insist on reading what you want into whatever I say here or elsewhere, but it doesn't mean that view is accurate or reliable.

In any case, it would be perfectly acceptable to have such views. It just means, or would mean, that we disagree on these.

My view might change if you were to express a positive proposal for how fast-charging would make sense to be implemented, at this point in time, from your point of view, including business model, as detailed as your criticism of this settlement, or half as creative as the ideas for hiding a Volt posted on your blog. Of course there isn't the slightest obligation for such a thing, or even to think favorably about a fast-charging infrastructure at this time. It is perfectly alright to be very critical of the feasibility of a fast-charging infrastructure. Or perhaps if you were to point to existing plans/proposals for implementing a fast charging infrastructure which you think are good and will work.

I'm used to comments like "There’s a place for it, but I think fast charging is way overhyped." (Talking about Tesla.)
Or something like "too much infrastructure is worse than too little." (As if we were too close to having too much).
Or something like "Nobody will use them" (fast chargers, said around the early days of the Leaf, if I remember correctly, of course intended to be understood as an exaggeration.)

No need to answer the other points.

I'm about post what I have already written.

If TX deployment is your proxy, they've seen it as a "good investment" to install 12 stations there. So it's fair to suggest that they wouldn't build 200 DC + 10k make-readies in the next four years (assuming they do that here).

I don't think we can draw this conclusion from the small numbers in Texas, since they said they were delayed by UL approvals and other issues. Also, they may have found that the EV market in Texas develops too slowly compared to California. I'd rather assume it is true because 200 is an unusually large initial number to start with as a commitment. (Unless that gives them a larger-volume price reduction for the fast-chargers.)

However, a subscription business plan is very different than POS, and is not necessarily in overall interests of EV drivers. A publicly funded or State-endorsed deal should be. NRG has no incentive to make sure that infrastructure is sited and uses a cost model that fosters usage- they told me that they prefer the fast chargers stay open. This makes sense when they're trying to attract subscribers who want to see uncrowded infrastructure. Yes, they have to offer temporary POS accessibility to the fast chargers (not the Level 2), but they are also allowed to sell subscription plans at the same time.

Which do you think they'd prefer?

I think they currently prefer subscriptions, that's what I said, and why I was talking about Texas.

I agree with you that a subscription model is not necessarily what most EV drivers want, however the financial equation also has to make profit for the charging providers (at least in the future), and a complete business model would be difficult for the government to work out and/or be selective about. With this being a settlement, it doesn't appear that the government is making a choice about which company or business model to support, on the contrary it seems that they are actively mandating POS (drive-up non-subscription charging) as an additional service, and require a price bracket to make sure it stays within a reasonable range (for both customers and for any future competing networks).

NRG obviously has an interest to make these chargers useful at least to potential subscribers, as well as to actual subscribers, as otherwise these would soon start to look for other solutions. NRG will not be able to make a near-term profit from these investments, so it will have to make sense long-term (as in 10 years), which it does only if subscribers are willing to continue paying the fees. Which of course they will only if they get something good in return, and if they don't get something better elsewhere. And that requires fast-chargers to be in useful locations.

The fact that they want fast chargers to be available for subscribers, is a result of them thinking of using fast-chargers as a help to sell subscriptions, with subscriptions probably considered to be the only effective or reliable way to make future profit, after covering demand charges etc. Apparently covering costs from individual charges at drive-up would be much more difficult with any near-future number of EVs on the street. But they might be interested to have it as an additional income. I expect the challenge will be to convince these companies to better meet EV driver needs, rather than to convince the government.

I wouldn't know any alternative to letting these companies decide on their own business model, other than the government itself running a non-profit network, or car companies (Tesla for example) themselves being interested in building networks which are more satisfying for their customers (and thereby helping them to sell more electric cars).

I'm not saying a little of it might not end up being useful, but the State has ceded control of deployment effectiveness to a company whose shareholder interests don't necessarily align with the State's relevant constituents (a problem that led to needing this deal in the first place), and I'm not willing to offer the same blind faith. But it is the State I fault for allowing the settlement without hearing from those w experience but no vested interest in the deal, not NRG; they only accepted the gift handed to them.

With this settlement, the state hasn't ceded control it would have had without the settlement, on the contrary. And, I don't have any "blind faith" that the subscription model will work well. As a customer, I'm not a big fan of it at all. However I see that as NRG's choice, when making this commitment, to make it work for them. Individual customer's will have the choice to buy their services, or not. The locations NRG will put wiring in, are multi-family homes, large work sites and hospitals, I think. Surely they will not be defenseless if they don't want NRG to have a 18 month privilege on their grounds. If it doesn't work out for NRG, and the risk is there, you can see it as a "punishment" (which you apparently think they deserve). They will have to convince customers that their services are worth the money.

I've not seen anything suggesting that this will realistically accelerate infrastructure deployment, much less any guarantee of it. And I'd be much more willing to allow for learning from new errors if there'd been any consideration so far in any of these public deals in learning from the old errors. I want infrastructure to happen as quickly and effectively as possible- which is why I have little tolerance for the "let's just toss some stuff out there and see what happens" model, when we know better.

Not sure what exactly you would propose such that it will also work for the seller of these services (at least in the future). So far you seemed to have doubts about any business model involving fast-chargers at the current time. It is NRG's responsibility to carefully choose their plans. However it sounds like you already tried to talk to them.

NRG can charge whatever they want to subscribers on the Level 2 infrastructure, and on subscriptions for fast charging. They temporarily have to offer POS access at $7-15 on DC fast charging. So yes, there is a temporary restriction on 200 of 10,400 charging spots.

The other EVSPs don't agree that this deal leaves a competitive market for them, and do believe this agreement amounts to an ad hoc monopoly.

The required 1000 Level 2 wirings with each 10 outlets/EVSE, or so, appear to be for customers which don't seem to be the primary target group for any EVSP so far.

The settlement, in so far as I know, does not require fast-charger subscriptions, and the intent of the settlement does not seem to restrict NRG from offering any other service they might want to offer, except that for each obligation there seems to be concern that fulfilling it will not have anti-competitive effects. I don't know if they could offer, for example, $5 fast-charger subscriptions to use that as a loophole around the $7 POS minimum, that's a question regarding the small print of the deal, for the lawyers. Perhaps offering a fast-charger subscription is otherwise considered a valid business, in itself, whereas a cheap POS price could be anti-competitive without being balanced by a valid business?

Of course Leaf and i drivers want a CHAdeMO network. And I've repeatedly said that I don't agree with the SAE standard, and certainly not holding up infrastructure and vehicle deployment over it. How that makes me biased for GM, I'm not sure...

I wasn't aware that you don't agree with the SAE standard. I think you mentioned SAE in one of the Leaf-forum threads about this settlement. The SAE question is probably something which causes a lot of wait-and-see about fast-charging...

Other fast charging deployments have been unacceptably slow. But the fact that the others haven't met their obligations doesn't make this plan automatically better. It might get few chargers in the next year or two. That TX still only has a dozen doesn't bode well, and there has been an eVgo member over on the Leaf forum warning them not to get their hopes up. Per the actual deal requirements, we're not going to see very much until at least a year after FERC approves the deal, with most coming later than that. If in a couple years we're still fighting with Ecotality and others to get the CHAdeMO drivers the charging we've all publicly funded in the first place, then we as an industry have much bigger problems. There's also no consideration for the fact that this agreement adds planned infrastructure to places that already have been allocated more than makes sense. I understand why, given the geography of the IOUs, but the State is still obligated to consider these big picture elements.

I see this more as a starting point, than as a water-proof fulfillment of all possible expectations, reasonable or not, and I don't see the state as having the role of picking every charger location, or forcing a detailed business model on NRG. Has such a thing ever happened? I guess I very well might not know, but it seems unlikely. It seems it must be left to NRG's business sense to do something that is sensible in the end. Maybe they should hire someone like you. But too many demands can easily lead to inaction, in this case to NRG not accepting the settlement. Whether something better could have been negotiated, as apparently no wrong-doing has been legally proven, who can tell?

I understand- others have reached the same conclusion. At this point, I happen to disagree. That's all. If NRG alone had announced intention to build this privatized network, fine; whatever I think of how they do it, they answer to their shareholders. It's the settlement framing, blessing by the State of NRG's business plan, and assertion that this is the best way to serve all EV drivers (let alone ratepayers) that continues to fail my sniff test.

But I continue to welcome any information that makes this deal smell better.

I don't see a problem with framing this as a settlement, since it would not happen as a some other kind of deal. I more than welcome a guarantee of 200 fast-chargers within 4 years, given how things progress until today. The state needs to be able to make such deals without any constraints of this being misinterpreted as a blessing or assertion of perfection.

Chelsea, putting on my hat as a competition economist, I'm having trouble understanding how this deal will harm competition. For an analogy, roll back the clock to 1920 and imagine that some oil company had been required to install 200 gasoline stations around California, with a minimum price it could charge.

Observation 1: 200 stations in a state the size of California is relatively small scale -- large enough to provide a meaningful number of refueling locations, but not so large as to "use up" all the "good" locations.

Observation 2: The minimum price requirement provides a clear bogey that allows competitors to undercut the NRG-analog.

So, the fast-charger side of this settlement doesn't appear (to me) to pose any competition problem. On the pre-wiring side, I'd offer the following observations:

Observation 3: 1,000 locations across California is a small drop in the bucket, compared to the number of apartment complexes, shopping malls, office garages, etc. across the state.

Observation 4: The "use it or auction it" requirement ensures that NRG can't pre-wire as a means to foreclose entry by other EVSPs at a location.

Observation 5: If NRG were to charge uncompetitively high rates for EVSE access, competing EVSPs can wire up their own chargers and sell for less--even at the same location. 10 charging points at a prime site (e.g. SFO or LAX airport) is a very small fraction of the total plug-points that will be needed. I can easily imagine that the eVgo chargers might be on one level of a garage, with competing offerings on other levels. Gas stations build across from each other all the time -- and they cost a lot more than a charging station!

In short, I'm simply not seeing any downside to California from this settlement - how could it possibly chill competition? To the contrary, my view is that it will kickstart competition -- in part by encouraging more people to buy an EV, knowing that there'll be someplace to charge it. More buyers draws in more sellers.

In short, I'm simply not seeing any downside to California from this settlement - how could it possibly chill competition? To the contrary, my view is that it will kickstart competition -- in part by encouraging more people to buy an EV, knowing that there'll be someplace to charge it. More buyers draws in more sellers.

Hi Robert,

I frankly don't know whether or not the California ratepayers got their money's worth in this settlement, but I agree there is little to fear about stifling competition from other charger networks and private installations. Earlier I discussed why I don't think this subscription approach would be attractive to Tesla owners, but I seriously doubt that other EV owners will find this pricing structure attractive either.

The only advantage I see for the monthly subscription fees is to reduce the upfront cost of installing a small capacity charger at home. However, why would someone pay a subscription fee indefinitely to get a home charger when they can take out a small loan to finance the installation over a finite period thereby avoiding perpetual home charger fees. As stated earlier, not too many folks are going to be willing to pay $39 - $49 per month just for the privilege of paying additional DC fast charger fees.

I don't see how the eVgo network is going to succeed. If this network were or becomes a defacto monopoly I could see why EV owners would be induced to pay a subscription fee for access. However, if that were the case then the settlement would have been poorly structured.

Larry

I don't see how the eVgo network is going to succeed.

The reasons I'm not too concerned about the subscription model, as long as drive-up access is also available, are:

- it appears to be their own choice, and they are a large company, able and accepting to take the risk. (On their website, they claim to be one of the country's largest solar power developers.)
- they can survive potential initial failure and later change to a different pricing structure, or add other options.
- any potential competition is not in any way forced to use a subscription model as well, especially if it doesn't work well. In that case, it makes things easier for the competition, and someone has taken the learning experience for the rest.

And I can see positive things about subscriptions, especially for those not experienced with EVs, and/or not understanding the confusing rate structures of the utilities (for the option which includes home electricity): It gives them a simple upper limit for how much they will have to pay each month, making the expenses predictable. Downside is, if that monthly fee is high, it may make EVs look too expensive. I don't know if they will be able to get special deals with utilities for these subscription prices, as otherwise one is likely to pay more, in the end.

Last edited:
I assume it is 350Green; they just put a unit in at Stanford Shopping center. They have confirmed that $7 is the minimum for timed charges, as they are not sure how much energy will be dispensed, and it might really cost that much with demand charges. (They didn't address the question of lowering the timed period).

However, they did say that CA is one of the few places that allows for selling by the kWh (they actually said "KW" so maybe it's related to charging rates and demand charges, but I assume they simply mis-spoke and meant they'll charge by energy dispensed, which was the question they were answering), and that their manufacturer is working on allowing this. Perhaps as early as next month they'll have another pricing scheme available.
Yes, the 350Green CHAdeMO charger at Stanford is $7 per charge and you can charge up to 30 minutes per charge. You have to buy them in packages of 3.

I'm not a fan of the flat rate charge. I'd much rather they charge per minute or by kWh.

A few reasons:

For current CHAdeMO equipped cars (LEAF, iMiEV), unless you are well under 50% charge, the charge will be shorter than 30 minutes. Because QC stations are few and far between, it's very possible you won't have a very low battery but still want a quick top-off to extend your range a bit. Just 10 minutes on the QC is enough to extend your range 20+ miles. Charging by the minute also encourages people to charge for less than 30 minutes increasing turnover. Charging a flat rate encourages people to wait the entire 30 minutes "to get their money's worth".

Even assuming that you do get to the QC with a very low battery (20%) and you quick charge up to 80% in 30 minutes - on the LEAF that's about 16 kWh - toss in some charging losses and they might pull 19 kWh from the grid - for $7 that's around $0.40 / kWh. I know that PG&E can have some crazy rates - demand charges are likely to be in the neighborhood of $15/kW if not more - that's $750/month they have to make up, so I feel that the $7 for a full QC is fair. To minimize the cost of the demand charge, they need to keep the unit busy as much as possible. But charging a flat rate will not do that since only people who are near empty will feel that the cost is worth it - a flat $7 cost does not incentivize people who don't need a full charge to use it. If you look at how people use the (currently free) QC station at Mitsubishi HQ in Torrance, you see that very often people use it to top off a bit to give them sufficient range along their way - and with only 1 station in the area - one doesn't get to be picky about how low their battery is before they charge.

So perhaps a more attractive model would be to charge something like $1 per session plus $0.25/minute for a QC.

Yes, the 350Green CHAdeMO charger at Stanford is $7 per charge and you can charge up to 30 minutes per charge. You have to buy them in packages of 3.

I'm not a fan of the flat rate charge. I'd much rather they charge per minute or by kWh.
This is at the Stanford Shopping Center. What happens if you leave your car charging, but don't come back for an hour.

California's electric car charging deal with NRG clouded with controversy

In our prior coverage we noted that while California describes this as a "settlement", NRG describes it as an "investment", and NRG will end up with a large electric car charging network business in California as a result. That fact has the potential to be controversial, for example a San Jose Mercury News article quoted Marin County Supervisor Steve Kinsey, co-chairman of the EV Strategic Council as saying "We feel like this rewards a bad actor in the energy field with another opportunity to dominate the market." What has the electric car advocates stirred up are concerns and uncertainty over how eVgo will operate the network.
Unfortunately, nobody but NRG and the CPUC have yet seen the actual agreement. The agreement is still being negotiated between California and NRG, and the first opportunity we'll have to inspect the terms is when the deal is presented to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for approval.

Larry

This contains a link to this article: NRG reaching out to quell concerns in electric car charging network deal with California

which has a lot more info about the specifics of the not-yet-finalized agreement. Specifically about the fast-chargers

A $50.5 million investment in a minimum of 200 electric vehicle (EV) fast-charging Freedom Station sites: The Freedom Stations consist of one DC Fast Charging station (CHADEMO), the wiring for a second fast charging station, plus some level 2 J1772 charging stations. NRG expects to install 110 sites in the Los Angeles Basin, 55 in the San Francisco Bay Area, 15 in the San Joaquin Valley, and 20 in San Diego County. Completion of the stations will be spread over four years, with 20% in year 1, 30% in year 2, 30% in year 3, 20% in year 4. The Freedom Stations will be owned and operated by NRG's subsidiary, eVgo.

The stations will be available both to eVgo members, and on a pay-as-you-go basis costing "no more than $10 per charge during off-peak hours and $15 per charge on-peak." This directly answers the Open Access concern raised by some advocates.

A concern we've raised before is the choice to support the CHADEMO DC Fast Charging protocol, rather than wait for the SAE J1772 committee DC Fast Charging system currently being debated. The committee is expected to standardize on a different DC Fast Charging system, and it stands to reason the investment in CHADEMO stations could be rendered obsolete. NRG is committing to support both current DC Fast Charging systems (CHADEMO) and the future system being standardized by the SAE committee. How this works out in practice is yet to be determined, and at worst NRG will have to install a second fast charging station supporting the SAE DC Fast Charging protocol alongside the existing CHADEMO stations.

20% for the first year, means 40 fast-charging stations.

Straight from NRG with regard to the California settlement: "The price of the monthly subscriptions has not yet been set, but the pay-as-you-go price will be between $10 and $15 per use, an NRG spokesman said."

Hmm. $10-$15 should be about right for the electricity cost *completely filling a Tesla Model S 85kwH battery*. If they really mean to allow that, then the price is reasonable; if that's the price for a smaller charge, it's seriously overpriced... and will fail.

In places where people need to charge a lot, getting a lot of miles of charge really fast -- such as rest stops in the middle of all-day drives -- whoever has a monopoly on DC charging will be able to charge high prices for a while. But where people just don't need to recover more than 30 miles of charge an hour, this sort of thing will never catch on.

Why? Because I'm beginning to think that the US/Canadian standard for AC charging will just be a NEMA 14-50 -- common, cheap socket, there's a standard outdoor box which is also common and cheap, you can wire it into practically any panel box. RV parks have solved all the 'economies of scale' questions; it's just an utterly routine piece of electrical work, with the main costs being wire and labor. It gives roughtly "30 miles (at 55mph) per hour" charging for the model S and is just about at the limit of what the "single charger" model S can handle anyway. For shorter-range cars, it satisfies the "top up" needs of a slightly-longer-than-normal trip. I think all cars will come with portable charging stations (like Tesla's UMC); the regulations in some places requiring all charging stations to be hardwired are obscene, unjustifiable, probably paid for by the oil companies, and need to be revoked. Sure, it's not superdupersafe if the user is an idiot, but neither is your dryer socket, and it seems like the "charging standards" people are just making a mess of things trying to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps if there's an obsession with safety the twistlock version should be chosen instead.

I think charging should come included with the cost of parking in the space, and be charged per hour; metered parking is a good idea to avoid overcrowding anyway, and the cost of the electricity for the 14-50 is going to be in the neighborhood of $1/hour, well within the price range of parking. And if you're providing the (rather expensive) subsidy of free parking to your customers or your employees, you should provide free electric car charging too. People can install 50 amp circuits in their homes; employers can install them at workplaces. We could get millions of 14-50s put into hotels (& airport/train station long-term parking, etc.) and satisfy the vast majority of overnight charging needs; we could get millions more at restaurants and satsify urban "top-up" charging needs. The deployment of "electrified parking spaces" could be done much, much faster than the deployment of specialized "electric car charging stations". And it probably *will* be done, because it can be done in a decentralized manner.

This means that the DC charging station people should really be concentrating on people taking long trips who need to recharge fast, who are the only 'captive audience' among electric car drivers. To capture this market, all you have to do is charge a noticeable amount less than the cost of gas, so as to encourage people to go electric rather than getting a hybrid and using gas for long trips. But of course the DC charging people have been quite consistently NOT setting up their systems to enable road trips. This is simply a strategic error.

If you would like to read the settlement filing yourself, you can download it from FERC. This is a filing in Docket Nos. EL02-60-000 and EL02-62-000. The details of interest for this forum are in Section 4 of the agreement itself, starting on page 34 of the PDF. Interesting provision re DC Fast Chargers:

Charging Standards. Initially all Freedom Stations shall have one (1) or more DC Fast Chargers compatible with the CHAdeMo Standard and one (1) Level 2 Charger compatible with the SAE Standard. Upon the occurrence of (A) approval by SAE for a charger standard for DC Fast Chargers and (B) the commercial availability from at least two (2) unaffiliated manufacturers of one or more DC Fast Chargers that are SAE Standard compatible or equipment capable of making the Freedom Stations’ DC Fast Chargers compatible with both the SAE Standard and the CHAdeMo Standard (and in each case that are approved by the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories), then NRG shall have six (6) months to complete the modification of all installed Freedom Stations to include at least one (1) SAE Standard compatible DC Fast Charger and one (1) CHAdeMo Standard compatible DC Fast Charger or one (1) CHAdeMo+SAE DC Charger. Thereafter, all newly installed Freedom Stations will have at least one (1) DC Fast Charger that is SAE Standard compatible.