Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/21 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM said end of next year there will be at least 200 to 300 cars per week schippend to Germany.
per capita that is more cars than in the us. Germany has been an important market for the roadster and Tesla expects the Same for Model S. Transit time for cars to Germany is about one month. There will be an increase of shipment next quarter.

Germany is now top focus, china very important.

Superchargers will be 135kW. First is in the works. Next 6 locations will be announced later this week. By the end of next year 100% is in range of a supercharger. Supercharger network will be expanded throughout Western Europe. It will then be possible to go from Germany to Lisboa! Tesla Plans huge investment, Second biggest network after US.

New features:
Any song any time will be implemented very soon.
Navigation, shortest time to destination, using wind measurements via internet (december).

A lot of excited people attended the event.
Great talk by EM, he mentioned reason for doing all this is care about the environment.

Great job by all Tesla employees, thank you guys!

EM repeated that he will be the last person to sell his shares.

Last edited:
From the video I got the impression that the high speed tuning package may not actually increase the maximum speed, just improve handling, or maybe cooling to allow longer time at speed.
Man I hope so. I want this far more than a higher top speed.
Please explain yourself.
1. Charge your Model S to "your normal maximum" (for me that's 90%).
2. Go to a track on a pleasant weather day (between 50F and 80F).
3. Begin a lapping session and drive it faster than you would a Prius with 1 gallon of gas remaining.
RESULT: (A) Within 2 laps, the acceleration limiter (yellow dashed line in the consumption/orange region of the right-side of the speedometer area) will kick in.

I find this highly undesirable and severely constraining for an enjoyable high speed driving experience. It's basically the weakest point of the vehicle in regards to track performance (IMO). The second weakest attribute is probably either (B) suspension or (C) size/weight. The plus package mostly (completely?) addresses (B) and one could address (C) by removing seats and such.

Unless you have a really creative and bold area expert, it's unlikely that anyone other than Tesla can address (A) in the next few years.

Could one of the moderators please correct the title thread so it reflects October and not November. I suspect some are skipping reading the thread assuming it is "future" news and not filled with good stuff from Elon.
thank-you

I think it is a remarkable move by Tesla to make Germany one of their top priorities. Fossil cars are quite entrenched there, and on a per capita basis it has not shown signs of great Tesla enthusiasm yet. It is also the home market of top competitors in the model S segment.

At the same time, Germans seem to love great engineering and might embrace this car totally if given a good density of Superchargers and other must-haves.

Win Germany, and the EV revolution will be inevitable and fast.

I think it is a remarkable move by Tesla to make Germany one of their top priorities. Fossil cars are quite entrenched there, and on a per capita basis it has not shown signs of great Tesla enthusiasm yet. It is also the home market of top competitors in the model S segment.

At the same time, Germans seem to love great engineering and might embrace this car totally if given a good density of Superchargers and other must-haves.

Win Germany, and the EV revolution will be inevitable and fast.

I fully agree. And this focus shift in parallel with gearing up for China shipments utilizing the cheap shipping costs and excellent market there are two items that will have a huge impact on the stock price once it is more widely known. Earliest today if someone bothers to write this up into a news release, or thursday when Tesla makes the press release of the German part or very latest during Q3 earnings report when all eyes are on Tesla and its future and those points are rehashed. This is really big move and a very smart one at that. Grr, I'm already all-in on Tesla for Q3 and beyond so can't buy more to utilize this recent dip :D

If you want to change the world WRT EV production then make MS work in Germany. VAG, BMW and MB can not ignore it if it is in their own back yard. Otherwise, there is little reason to focus so many resources on such a small country when there are bigger fish to fry (China, X, G3 all of which would be better choices for time and money from a pure profit standpoint). Elon is on a mission!

If you want to change the world WRT EV production then make MS work in Germany. VAG, BMW and MB can not ignore it if it is in their own back yard. Otherwise, there is little reason to focus so many resources on such a small country when there are bigger fish to fry (China, X, G3 all of which would be better choices for time and money from a pure profit standpoint). Elon is on a mission!

Calling Germany small is maybe a stretch. Their population would fill 31 one out of 50 US States (if you start with the least populous one and go up from there).

I meant no disrespect to our German friends. My comment was more directed at the quantity of Tesla resources versus the immediate return. On a pure near term return basis, those resources would be better spent on larger opportunities. I happen to agree with the mission and the idea that success with the mission will mean long term financial success for Tesla.

Musk is just playing a combination of Monopoly and Battleship and doing a nice job of it.

Calling Germany small is maybe a stretch. Their population would fill 31 one out of 50 US States (if you start with the least populous one and go up from there).

Or 3 of the 50 if you start at the top and work down (California, Texas, New York or Florida (pick 'em)). Or 13 of 50 if you do the straight percentages (USA 313.9, DE 81.9).

Elon is doing this to sell more cars worldwide and force change from major automakers. China is a given for market share. Japan's next.

From a strategic point of view I'm actually not sure this was such a smart move..... By placing all this emphasis on Germany if Tesla gains a significant foothold then its german competitors (who are now still discounting the threat posed by EVs to their businesses) will be forced to open their eyes and will react more quickly.

From a strategic point of view I'm actually not sure this was such a smart move..... By placing all this emphasis on Germany if Tesla gains a significant foothold then its german competitors (who are now still discounting the threat posed by EVs to their businesses) will be forced to open their eyes and will react more quickly.

right.

But reacting more quickly does not mean they can catch up with Tesla in the near future - Tesla's moat is large. If they really would want to move fast, they need to license the technology.

But what to do with to 10.000 ICE-trained engineers?