Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/21 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know Tesla was able to do 135kW supercharging. If so, that is truly amazing. Can someone else confirm this is what Elon said?

Have you seen anything firm to indicate that such a power upgrade will not be possible with US Superchargers? As an engineer, my reasoning has always been that since they are spending over $100 million on the Supercharger infrastructure, they will do their very best to make it future-proof by having the physical capability to do charge rate upgrades. So I have always taken this capability as a given.

With the 7-9% annual improvement in the undelying battery tech, 120kW Supercharger would practically be obsolete in 10 years or so. I can't believe that Tesla is investing more than a hundred million dollars on infrastructure only to walk headfirst into obsolescence. My guess, since they announced the upgrade to 120kW, has always been that the Supercharger network could be upgraded to >150kW with no significant changes to the infrastructure.

After all, we are entering a world of pure electrics, and Tesla's #1 advantage is seeing this and acting on it before everyone else.

Last edited:
Hi as the fastcharge is DC it has nothing to do with 3 Phase. The Type 2 cpnnecter has 5 large pins and 2 small pins. The 2 small pins are the CP and PP lines which ensore the communication of the vehicle with the charging station and also kann be uset togehter with the PE pin to have a differentional bus like CAN (needed for Chedemo, or however it's spelled).
The 5 large pins are N (Neutral), PE (Potential Earth), L1, L2, and L3. For Power transmission you can use N, L1, L2, L3. So two pins for Plus-Pole and two pins for Minus-Pole. As Tesla uses much larger Pins (the part molded into the socket), it has much higher current carring potential, than regular Type2 connectors. Normal Type2 can carry 38kW with 2 pins (one pin for Plus, one for minus). So a regular Type2 with dual Pin should be able to carry 76kW.
As Tesla uses this larger pins, they are able to handle much higher current. As a charge takes only some 20-30 minutes, the warming of the plug/socket should be possibly nothing of a problem. In the US I guess the size of the Pins limit it to 120kW.
Again Tesla proofed to be able to adapt to a local standard, but was able to tweek it a little bit.
I like it

Last edited:
Yeah, there was perfect 4G available. I could have done live streaming from my phone. I just realized it now as I haven't done it before.

Did you see somebody making a video recording?

About how many people were there present?

Was there a Q&A session as well?

Did you ask any questions?

Did Elon Musk say that he was going to other places in Europe as well (after Munich)?

broadcast

Wow, I sure hope that somebody made a video of this event.

When Elon Musk was in Oslo in March this year, they even made a live broadcast via the internet. That was really good.

When Elon spoke at the unveiling of the battery swap mechanism in LA, I was there. I believe TSLA had someone recording the event, and his speech, don't know if they had the same in Germany. Lets keep our eyes out to see if media is picking up his remarks, TSLA up in afterhours, hopefully back towards upper 170's-180 tomorrow!

See problem.
Fix problem.
It's the Tesla way.
I've really always expected Germany to depend on the Superchargers due to the higher speed driving luxury car owners expect to do. 135kW will go some way to helping. Of course 135kW is a max and we don't know how they'll need to taper. Do remember that Straubel is aiming to be able to manage 5 minute charges in a few years time.

at 200 km/h ~ 120 mph I had something between 400 and 500 Wh/km. But even in Germany you have very few chances to run at 200 km/h for longer than 2 minutes, because there is always someone blocking the left lane. Especially during holiday season people from france, austria, swiss or the netherlands are blocking our left lanes;-)

But at least during the night you are able to run at 216 km/h with the Model S for 3-5 minutes, but even then it takes yo several attempts

Osiris, thanks for posting this video.
By the way, why did you stop recording?
Are there more video's to be uploaded yet?
Did you also hear him say about the 135kWh charge rate of the Superchargers (I missed that part in your video)?

Thought so. In your video I saw other people were recording as well. I hope that they post their video's as well.

Did you also hear him say about the 135kWh charge rate of the Superchargers (I missed that part in your video)?

Actually 135kW charge rate makes perfect sense if you consider that a European single on board charger does 11kW instead of 10kW and the dual chargers do 22kW. As the Super Chargers are 12 chargers stacked together they can deliver about 135kW instead of 120kW. How much a car is able to use of it depends on how much the battery is depleted anyways. So actually it's not a big thing.