Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/27 2013 Press Release in german newspaper "Welt am Sonntag"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the article translated with the help of a machine and slightly but not substantly corrected, enjoy reading.

Elektroauto : kaufen Tesla - Nachrichten Wirtschaft - DIE WELT

Germany got priority

Still, only the wealthy drive a Tesla. But company founder musk wants to offer affordable electric cars in three years, that are fueled on fast charging stations. Tesla currently builds the power to do so. by Nicholas Doll and Robert Dunker

Wiener schnitzel is scheduled to lunch with Elon Musk, but the head of the noble electric car manufacturer Tesla ordered Currywurst. If he is ever in the German capital, something on the plate, is the "typical Berlin". Musks appearance is a mixture of presentation, preaching and entertainment show. It is laughed a lot, sometimes admiration, but also questioned. Is the man who wants to carry humans to Mars and hunt using high speed capsules through California, wound up or awesome? Or both? Musks next goals are a network of fast-charging stations in Germany and an affordable electric car, where you make almost any concessions.

Welt am Sonntag: Mr. Musk, Tesla made money for the first time and is growing rapidly, which could attract the big car companies. Is Tesla still independent in five or ten years?

Elon Musk: Sure, at least the next five years. Check out our stock price ...

Welt am Sonntag:... which lately varied after a long, steep climb.

Musk: The daily exchange rate is really not a reliable instrument to determine the actual value and the performance of a company. I've deleted even the stock ticker on my Smartphone. Ever since just watching makes me depressed.

Welt am Sonntag: you have not viewed the course on Monday?

Musk: No, did he fall?

Welt am Sonntag: four percent. After one of your managers had said the expansion in Europe will be a hart piece of work.

Musk: Oh my God (laughs). Now, in this range our course varies also, when the weather changes.

Welt am Sonntag: but perhaps Tesla is weaker than it appears.

Musk: Maybe yes, but seriously: I don't look, what the competitors do or where the stock is. If we work hard to make our cars better, and we do, then the price rises automatically.

Welt am Sonntag: but you make money but only due to the ample subsidies for electric cars, or?

Musk: There we should look, what we're talking about. There is a "Zero of emission vehicle credits". (A type of pollution certificate. Manufacturer of models with combustion engines need credits to be awarded for low-emission models to sell cars with emissions in several US States. Tesla has these credits in abundance and can resell them - d. red.). What's that, we promised our investors to increase the gross margin in the fourth quarter of this year, without taking into account these credits by 25 percent. And we will create it.

Welt am Sonntag: Tesla needs no State support?

Musk: Not quite. There's still the tax break when purchasing an electric car in the United States. That are 7500 dollars and one - in our case as you say - subsidy by eight percent per vehicle. Other manufacturers of electric cars are 15 to 20 percent. Also, there is this premium for the first 200,000 cars of a manufacturer only to stimulate demand.

Welt am Sonntag: things that work difficult, if - as in Tesla - an E-car fire. How save are electric cars?

Musk: Yes, we had a fire. But I tell them, electric cars are much safer than models with combustion engines, five times. The S model has passed the crash test of the U.S. Safety Agency NHTSA with flying colors - five stars in all categories.

Welt am Sonntag: what are actually people who buy your cars? Millionaires, survivor, the organic fraction?

Musk: (laughs) the coolest guys in the world.

Welt am Sonntag: and the richest, at a cost of more than 71,000 dollars per car.

Musk: I admit that our customers in the United States are more wealthy people and usually own a few other cars. But in three years we come up with a smaller model on the market, which costs around 35,000 dollars. This is a mid-size car. This is a giant leap for us, because we grow for the quantities of 21,000 per year as in the model S to 250,000.

Welt am Sonntag: why three years?

Musk: I wish we could build the car already, but we need to work on the technology. The battery capacity for example is reduced by 20 percent compared to the model S and thus lighter.

Welt am Sonntag: even if the E-car thus becomes more affordable and gets higher range, one problem remains: the car will be still more expensive and have more restrictions than a car with an internal combustion engine. Why should people buy a car like that?

Musk: i am after finding solutions to solve the problems of the future. Zero emmissions driving is a key factor, and that is only possible with electric cars.

Welt am Sonntag: you are not a classic "car guy" who raves for motors and HP. What was your first car?

Musk: A Buick. I had bought for peanuts, but the quality was really bad, it completely fell apart. Then I had a BMW 320i, built in 1978. It was the first car I really liked - because I could repair almost anything on it.

Welt am Sonntag: now you compete in the homeland of BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. How do you want to make your ev-car tasty to the PS crazy Germans?

Musk: I have confidence in the German consumer. I bet that we here can sell 10,000 cars a year from the end of 2014.

Welt am Sonntag: How do want to solve the problem of limited reach at first?

Musk: It is clear that a car must move you emotionally and physically. You cursed a car, with which you will not reach its target, fast. That's why we have built many fast-charging stations on the West and East coast of the United States for our cars. At the end of the year there will be a nationwide network in the other U.S. States.

Welt am Sonntag: and in Europe?

Musk: There we intend the same thing, where is our priority on Germany. Until end of March 2014 half of Germany shall be covered with fast charging stations, until late 2014 throughout the country. These are 40 to 50 stations. If thers is still mone left, we take on China.

Welt am Sonntag: how does charging work?

Musk: The Chargers will have an output of 135 kW. When the battery is empty after 500 km, it will take about 20 minutes until it is full again. The stations are powered by solar panels. Our motto is: A Tesla driver should need no longer for driving as sunlight. And even the power thereof is free of charge for our customers.

Welt am Sonntag: and it pays for itself?

Musk: At the beginning, we thought that we should demand a symbolic dollar per load, maybe. But now I think that it only annoys the people if they have to whip out the wallet. So we leave it entirely.

Welt am Sonntag: still a dealer network is missing.

Musk: We are working on it. End of 2014 we want 25 German branches.

Welt am Sonntag: that's not much.

Musk: Do you think so? An electric car needs less service than one with internal combustion engine. Even apart from the fact that we want to earn any money with inspections.

Welt am Sonntag: just the service is really profitable business for other manufacturers.

Musk: I know that in the United States, I know how it is when cars have to be supplied. On my car, something fixed without having the workshop ever knew what was broken. This is not our philosophy. We want to beat no capital from it, that our product failed.

Welt am Sonntag: so you are too good for this world?

Musk: I didn't say that we want to make any money. But we want that with the sale of cars.

Welt am Sonntag: with a Tesla regular workshop visits are unnecessary?

Musk: Slow: we recommend to give the car once in a year in the inspection. This is done by a service team brings over a spare car and the car will be taken. The customer is to get it back on the same day, if not, he keeps the spare car as long as necessary. The service should be almost as invisible. That will cost it unless the car is still under warranty. If the same car two months in the workshop, the workshop Manager is obliged to report to me personally, how it could happen. Service must be, but only if it is absolutely necessary and costs as little as possible. You need a service contract for a Smartphone. We guarantee as regards the battery, incidentally, a lifespan of eight years, regardless of the mileage.

Welt am Sonntag: we come to more distant destinations: we would want to be take part on your first mars mission.

Musk: you do want to be part of that mission? Respect.

Welt am Sonntag: clear. When do the shuttles of your aerospace company SpaceX bring the first humans to Mars?

Musk: In two to three years cargo ferries are possible in all good ferries, in four or five years we will be able to transport people. Then, it comes to building stations. And we need a really big rocket, Mars is infinitely far away. I think it will take twelve more years, until we are sending people to Mars.

Welt am Sonntag: what will such a trip cost?

Musk: Half a million dollars.

Welt am Sonntag: one-way?

Musk: If you pay this much, the return ticket is included in the price.

Last edited: