Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10% battery drain overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

new model 3 owner here. I wanted to post about this for advice because I’m really scratching my head right now. Every morning I’ve been waking up with about 10% battery drain on my LR AWD overnight. I know this isn’t normal, so I’m trying to figure out what could be causing it. I’m in Southern California so temp shouldn’t be a factor.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Hopper
Hey all,

new model 3 owner here. I wanted to post about this for advice because I’m really scratching my head right now. Every morning I’ve been waking up with about 10% battery drain on my LR AWD overnight. I know this isn’t normal, so I’m trying to figure out what could be causing it. I’m in Southern California so temp shouldn’t be a factor.

Any ideas?
only real way to know is to purchase one of the third party apps to identify exactly where the loss is coming from.

Sentry mode is disabled overnight
Summon standby mode will also prevent the car from sleeping. To turn off, go to settings -> Autopilot -> Standby Mode (under Summon) and either turn it off or set 'Exclude Home'. Keep in mind that, as it gets colder, the car will use some energy to maintain minimum battery temperature, so it's always best to plug in when you can.

Reactions: KenC and brkaus
Hey all,

Any ideas?

In my S I have noticed that if I make a long drive so that the battery gets all toasty warm, and then park the car overnight, the drop in battery temperature from 100F (???) to 50-60F will make the car show a significant drop in percentage. The worst I've seen is an 8% drop in an hour while shopping for groceries. That was after a 3-hr drive and then parking at the store with roughly 30F temps.

Summon standby mode will also prevent the car from sleeping. To turn off, go to settings -> Autopilot -> Standby Mode (under Summon) and either turn it off or set 'Exclude Home'. Keep in mind that, as it gets colder, the car will use some energy to maintain minimum battery temperature, so it's always best to plug in when you can.
Yep, I was losing a ton of range overnight while on a week long trip. Shut off sentry and summon standby. All is well again.