TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$100 Order fee is a fee, and not a deposit?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by zwjt3, Nov 26, 2019.

1. appleplease

appleplease Member

This is encouraging because I just noticed this on my paperwork as well. Going to contact my advisor tomorrow and see if I can get a refund check for the double charged $100.

2. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Am I the only one who thinks that charging a $100 “order fee”, which sounds like you have to pay $100 for the privilege of ordering a Tesla, to be really arrogant? I think it was intended to be a deposit, only to be kept if someone screwed around with Tesla and made them do a bunch of paperwork without buying the car. But some clueless employees interpreted it to be an additional $100 fee and never asked for a clarification from corporate. Communication is not Tesla’s strength.

• Like x 1
  3. appleplease

appleplease Member

The problem here is that you pay 100 for an order fee, and the paperwork they generate also shows a 100 order fee. So that's 200 total, and 100 gets paid up front via credit card.

I don't have any problem paying the order fee and I think it makes sense, it helps them filter out non-serious buyers and keeps them from manufacturing inventory that won't get sold.

...but I ain't paying it twice.

4. jmcmill

jmcmill Member

I am not sure I am following this.

Using my order as an example, my total was $50,900 + $1,200 destination and document fee + $100 order fee, for a total of $52,290. My final contract shows $52,290 before taxes. I then see a reduction for my $100 order fee payment and also my second payment covering the remaining total amount due. Where would I see this second $100 charge you are referring to?

5. appleplease

appleplease Member

My paperwork does not have a $100 reduction reflecting the amount I paid at time of order. So they charged me once at order time and again at delivery.

• Like x 1
  6. jmcmill

jmcmill Member

I believe they only charged you once, but like you said you are not seeing the $100 order fee payment.

7. jmcmill

jmcmill Member

@appleplease I am not certain if your Lending Agreement document looks the same as they do in California, but for us, there is a section that shows the total price with the down payment and my down payment reflects the initial $100 order fee payment I made. Perhaps yours shows something similar?

8. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

my PDF MVPA did not reflect the $100 payment, but the online accounting of payments owed did.
    I subtracted the $100 from the bottomline on the MVPA. The delivery folks said "fine".

I brought a screenshot of the online accounting as well as credit card billing evidence that I had paid the $100 to the delivery/pickup. I didn't need to show it though...

• Like x 2
  9. skgolf91

skgolf91 Member

if you dont pay close attention at delivery, it may slip and you may end up double-paying. just make sure whatever the total is, its $100 less since you have to pay $100 "order fee". i dont care what they call it, it's like a deposit to me and shouldn't get charged twice for it.

10. appleplease

appleplease Member

I called my delivery location today and she looked it over and accepted my explanation. Said that she would open a case, make a note on my account, and that I should get a check in the mail in 3 weeks or so. Will update when I get a check!

• Like x 1
  11. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson Member

I have the same funny business going on with my MVPA. Charged another $100 order fee with no credit for the one I already paid. My car is contracted at $100 more than what was initially shown in my account.

Did you have a loan for the car? How did you adjust your payment?

12. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

I did a 3rd party loan and a large "down payment". I handed Tesla two checks (one for each payment source) after inspection. My check was the MVPA quoted account minus $100. I brought evidence that I had already paid the $100, but also brought my check book just in case there was a fight or my misunderstanding. However they accepted the fact that I had already paid the $100 so the two checks were taken as is.

• Like x 1
  13. Gasaraki

Gasaraki Member

Yes... Catch up, LOL.

It used to be a $1000 deposit. Now it's a $100 fee, you don't get that back if you cancel.

14. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson Member

They've outdone themselves: now it's a double order fee. The order fee I already paid has magically disappeared from my MVPA, replaced by a new charge for an $100 order fee lol. My car is actually $100 more than what was previously shown before the MVPA.

It's hard to believe this is an accident. It's hard to believe they'll be contacting all the people who haven't noticed this "mistake" in their MVPA to give them their $100 back.

15. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

not really a big deal, just an "accounting oversight"... like not giving me an actual receipt confirming that I handed them $50K+.... I wonder how I would handle it if they claimed I stole the car off the lot...

Anyways, just subtract the $100 from the MVPA bottom line and you're done.

• Like x 2
  16. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Active Member

Per CA law:

New car dealers may not:

Fail to refund any purchase money, including purchase deposits, upon demand by a consumer at any time prior to the consumer's signing of a vehicle purchase agreement with a selling dealer and taking delivery of the vehicle described in the brokering agreement.

I'm not sure an order fee is exempt from the purchase as it is a requirement of the purchase so It should be refundable if cancelled.

17. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

So has there been a definitive answer as to whether the $100 fee is applied toward the balance or if it is an extra $100 fee on top of the purchase price? I am seeing conflicting info in this thread.

18. skgolf91

skgolf91 Member

If the order fee of $100 is added to the total cost, then it should be deducted from it. If the total cost doesn't reflect the order fee, then no. I don't know how other delivery centers do the paper work but on mine, it had the order fee of $100. I am still waiting on the refund check after overpaying...

19. buttermilktoas

My "order fee" appeared as a a line item under the destination and doc fee so it was an additional $100 on the purchase price. I just talked to our service centre and they forwarded it off to a sales manager who said something about there had been a shift because the language wasn't clear so some were getting refunds and some were not depending on the language. She's supposed to follow up with me on my own example and I can update when I hear back.

20. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

It sounds to me like Tesla really has not decided whether it’s applied toward the balance or kept as a separate fee.