Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$100 Order fee is a fee, and not a deposit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually contacted the lady who did the paperwork at Delivery and she confirmed that we overpaid by $100 and will put in a request to issue a refund check and then apologized. Mistakes happen especially when I took a delivery within 24 hours of signing the paper and last minute change. But I can't believe how dumb the sales guy was on this issue... It doesn't matter whether it is Tesla SA or any other car manufacturer SA, most of them are clueless!

This is encouraging because I just noticed this on my paperwork as well. Going to contact my advisor tomorrow and see if I can get a refund check for the double charged $100.

Am I the only one who thinks that charging a $100 “order fee”, which sounds like you have to pay $100 for the privilege of ordering a Tesla, to be really arrogant? I think it was intended to be a deposit, only to be kept if someone screwed around with Tesla and made them do a bunch of paperwork without buying the car. But some clueless employees interpreted it to be an additional $100 fee and never asked for a clarification from corporate. Communication is not Tesla’s strength.

Reactions: Jamezam and Sherlo
The problem here is that you pay 100 for an order fee, and the paperwork they generate also shows a 100 order fee. So that's 200 total, and 100 gets paid up front via credit card.

I don't have any problem paying the order fee and I think it makes sense, it helps them filter out non-serious buyers and keeps them from manufacturing inventory that won't get sold.

...but I ain't paying it twice.

The problem here is that you pay 100 for an order fee, and the paperwork they generate also shows a 100 order fee. So that's 200 total, and 100 gets paid up front via credit card.

I don't have any problem paying the order fee and I think it makes sense, it helps them filter out non-serious buyers and keeps them from manufacturing inventory that won't get sold.

...but I ain't paying it twice.

I am not sure I am following this.

Using my order as an example, my total was $50,900 + $1,200 destination and document fee + $100 order fee, for a total of $52,290. My final contract shows $52,290 before taxes. I then see a reduction for my $100 order fee payment and also my second payment covering the remaining total amount due. Where would I see this second $100 charge you are referring to?

I am not sure I am following this.

Using my order as an example, my total was $50,900 + $1,200 destination and document fee + $100 order fee, for a total of $52,290. My final contract shows $52,290 before taxes. I then see a reduction for my $100 order fee payment and also my second payment covering the remaining total amount due. Where would I see this second $100 charge you are referring to?

My paperwork does not have a $100 reduction reflecting the amount I paid at time of order. So they charged me once at order time and again at delivery.

Reactions: Ron Johnson
@appleplease I am not certain if your Lending Agreement document looks the same as they do in California, but for us, there is a section that shows the total price with the down payment and my down payment reflects the initial $100 order fee payment I made. Perhaps yours shows something similar?

my PDF MVPA did not reflect the $100 payment, but the online accounting of payments owed did.
I subtracted the $100 from the bottomline on the MVPA. The delivery folks said "fine".

I brought a screenshot of the online accounting as well as credit card billing evidence that I had paid the $100 to the delivery/pickup. I didn't need to show it though...

if you dont pay close attention at delivery, it may slip and you may end up double-paying. just make sure whatever the total is, its $100 less since you have to pay $100 "order fee". i dont care what they call it, it's like a deposit to me and shouldn't get charged twice for it.

my PDF MVPA did not reflect the $100 payment, but the online accounting of payments owed did.
I subtracted the $100 from the bottomline on the MVPA. The delivery folks said "fine".

I brought a screenshot of the online accounting as well as credit card billing evidence that I had paid the $100 to the delivery/pickup. I didn't need to show it though...
I have the same funny business going on with my MVPA. Charged another $100 order fee with no credit for the one I already paid. My car is contracted at $100 more than what was initially shown in my account.

Did you have a loan for the car? How did you adjust your payment?

I have the same funny business going on with my MVPA. Charged another $100 order fee with no credit for the one I already paid. My car is contracted at $100 more than what was initially shown in my account.

Did you have a loan for the car? How did you adjust your payment?
I did a 3rd party loan and a large "down payment". I handed Tesla two checks (one for each payment source) after inspection. My check was the MVPA quoted account minus $100. I brought evidence that I had already paid the $100, but also brought my check book just in case there was a fight or my misunderstanding. However they accepted the fact that I had already paid the $100 so the two checks were taken as is.

Reactions: Ron Johnson
Did anyone else notice that the $100 ordering fee is actually a fee and not a deposit like it used to be? I saw on the final financial paperwork that after the base price of the car was calculated, an additional +$100 line item was added labeled Order Fee.

Then at the bottom -$100 credit applied (since i already paid the order fee).

But ultimately, the final price paid was increased by $100 versus just the price of the car. I saw a lot of people discussing it like it was a deposit, but it looks like it is actually as stated : A fee.

Yes... Catch up, LOL.

It used to be a $1000 deposit. Now it's a $100 fee, you don't get that back if you cancel.

They've outdone themselves: now it's a double order fee. The order fee I already paid has magically disappeared from my MVPA, replaced by a new charge for an $100 order fee lol. My car is actually $100 more than what was previously shown before the MVPA.

It's hard to believe this is an accident. It's hard to believe they'll be contacting all the people who haven't noticed this "mistake" in their MVPA to give them their $100 back.

They've outdone themselves: now it's a double order fee. The order fee I already paid has magically disappeared from my MVPA, replaced by a new charge for an $100 order fee lol. My car is actually $100 more than what was previously shown before the MVPA.
not really a big deal, just an "accounting oversight"... like not giving me an actual receipt confirming that I handed them $50K+.... I wonder how I would handle it if they claimed I stole the car off the lot...

Anyways, just subtract the $100 from the MVPA bottom line and you're done.

Per CA law:

New car dealers may not:

Fail to refund any purchase money, including purchase deposits, upon demand by a consumer at any time prior to the consumer's signing of a vehicle purchase agreement with a selling dealer and taking delivery of the vehicle described in the brokering agreement.

I'm not sure an order fee is exempt from the purchase as it is a requirement of the purchase so It should be refundable if cancelled.

So has there been a definitive answer as to whether the $100 fee is applied toward the balance or if it is an extra $100 fee on top of the purchase price? I am seeing conflicting info in this thread.

If the order fee of $100 is added to the total cost, then it should be deducted from it. If the total cost doesn't reflect the order fee, then no. I don't know how other delivery centers do the paper work but on mine, it had the order fee of $100. I am still waiting on the refund check after overpaying...

My "order fee" appeared as a a line item under the destination and doc fee so it was an additional $100 on the purchase price. I just talked to our service centre and they forwarded it off to a sales manager who said something about there had been a shift because the language wasn't clear so some were getting refunds and some were not depending on the language. She's supposed to follow up with me on my own example and I can update when I hear back.