Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D Power Software Limited??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised there aren't any posts about this, but my biggest disappointment with the 100D specs is that it did not come with any speed increase over the 90D. In the video link below, does this confirm suspicions that Tesla is indeed software limiting the speed so that there is a bigger improvement and justification for splurging on the performance model?

Tesla Model X 100D Performance Testing 0-60 MPH and 1/4 Mile
There is virtually no price increase over the 90D other than a relatively small charge for the increase in battery. It uses the same drive train as the 90 so why should it be faster? Tesla like other manufacturers sell speed so why should it be faster without paying for it?

Reactions: Shopi01
The 100D and 90D are faster than the 75D with the same drivetrain.
Correct, I paid a premium for my 90 over the 75 for the performance add. The 100 is only a small $3000 increase over the 90 for the small battery size increase. You still get the same drivetrain and thus performance. You can pay more for the increase, $37,000 more for the faster "P" drivetrain which is different and is faster. I was going to buy the P90D but the 90D is seriously fast so unless you want to drag race then it is faster than most other cars as it is. In fact most should agree the purpose of the 100 is for a cheap range increase not more speed.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's any evidence that it's speed limiting. I'd expect only a minor pack voltage difference between the 90D and 100D, and considering the peak power output of the 100D is 395kW from that video and the accompanying article, that sounds like it's power-limited by the 200kW motors in the front and back. It seems like to get more performance you really do need that rear P motor.

The 100D uses two small motors. The P100D uses the small motor in the front and the large (more powerful) motor in the back.
The difference between 75 and 90/100 is that the 75 has a lower voltage, thus a lower power. The 90/100 have the same voltage. The additional cells in the 100 are connected in parallel. The 100 battery has the same voltage as the 90 but a large capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban and Cowby