Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d towing a 19ft camp trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the super charging station in Salmon Creek Washington and I saw this 2017 MX 100D towing a 19ft trailer.
oMDAjEowRgmyv7wYYkhTjQ.jpg
5DxNNnArTLmCDCpNpKhDug.jpg

I spoke to the guy with this setup and he said he lives in Olympia and just picked up the trailer in Medford Oregon. He was on his way home, Maiden voyage. He said he was not getting very good mileage towing the trailer. He said he can tow for an hour and then he has to stop and charge for 30 minutes. He said it tows very easy no problems there, it's the loss in range that is not so good. There are tons of places to camp in the Northwest so I am sure he and his family will have a good time with his new camper setup. Pretty cool I just thought I would share this with the Tesla fans... Thanks Tony

That looks like the Vancouver WA Supercharger. I was there on Wednesday towing my 17 ft Safari Condo Alto and used that stall to charge without unhitching. Only two other Teslas were charging at the time so I wasn’t blocking anyone.
He said he was not getting very good mileage towing the trailer. He said he can tow for an hour and then he has to stop and charge for 30 minutes. He said it tows very easy no problems there, it's the loss in range that is not so good
I would like to know what his towing speed was. I just towed my new trailer from Vancouver to San Mateo CA at 55mph. Even with very cold temps and wet roads I would tow for about two hours and then charge for about 45 minutes.

Loss of range while towing with an X is a well known phenomenon. There are threads about it on TMC.

Loss of range while towing - not really a phenomenon. My ICE suv MPGs drop by 50% when towing.
Loss of range while towing by ICE or EV is a “phenomenon” based on the definition of the word; “a fact, occurrence, or circumstance observed or observable”.

However, loss of range while towing is not “phenomenal”. :(

• Funny
Reactions: JimVandegriff
I believe he could have went further between charges. This was his maiden voyage so he is not comfortable pushing his range. He did not say how fast he was going. It was cool outside about mid 40’s. I would suspect 2hrs of driving old be more appropriate.

Yes my ICE 2016 Tundra gets about 450 mile range with out my 23ft airstream and it get about 300 towing the airstream, so there is not much difference between the ICE or electric. The only difference is there are gas stations everywhere and we have to plan a little better with the SC stations.

LOVE my Tesla I dont think I will ever buy another ICE / Dinosaur...

With the purchase of my new MX Tesla pushed me up to the front of the Model 3 line. In 2-5 weeks I will be trading in my 2016 BMW M4 for a new Model 3...

Thanks
Tony

I would like to know what his towing speed was. I just towed my new trailer from Vancouver to San Mateo CA at 55mph. Even with very cold temps and wet roads I would tow for about two hours and then charge for about 45 minutes.
That Winnebago Minnie drop trailer weighs about 2800 lb dry weight and 3800 loaded. I don't know its aerodynamics, but Illijana and I agree that his experience is probably speed, wet road, and temperature related regarding his time traveled before charging. My experience mirrors ecarfan about distance achievable before charging. We almost never travel at more than 55 mph, except when the Tesla just takes off and I suddenly notice I'm going 70! Of course, YMMV.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and BerTX
That Winnebago Minnie drop trailer weighs about 2800 lb dry weight and 3800 loaded. I don't know its aerodynamics, but Illijana and I agree that his experience is probably speed, wet road, and temperature related regarding his time traveled before charging. My experience mirrors ecarfan about distance achievable before charging. We almost never travel at more than 55 mph, except when the Tesla just takes off and I suddenly notice I'm going 70! Of course, YMMV.

I'm in agreement. That doesn't seem right for a 100D at all if he was towing reasonably. I tow with a 75D and I can go longer than an hour. I wonder if it is possibly due to how the superchargers are spaced out over there?

On a 75D towing on a stop and go highway (55mph limit, speeds of 0-65mph) I can go for over 2 hours without stopping for a charge. I just did this a couple weeks ago in a slight rain/~40 degrees.

The only time I dropped down to an hour; it was on my very first tow. Travelled ~65-75mph constant speed on a highway in about 6F dry weather. But that was still on a 75D with 60 miles less range.

I'm in agreement. That doesn't seem right for a 100D at all if he was towing reasonably. I tow with a 75D and I can go longer than an hour. I wonder if it is possibly due to how the superchargers are spaced out over there?

On a 75D towing on a stop and go highway (55mph limit, speeds of 0-65mph) I can go for over 2 hours without stopping for a charge. I just did this a couple weeks ago in a slight rain/~40 degrees.

The only time I dropped down to an hour; it was on my very first tow. Travelled ~65-75mph constant speed on a highway in about 6F dry weather. But that was still on a 75D with 60 miles less range.

What are you towing Yinn?