Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing caravan Model X Long range plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

We have driven with our Model X trough Belgium, France, Suisse, Italy, Austria and Germany this summer for a road trip across various camp site. We started from our home country the Netherlands and our caravan is a Dethlefds C’Go 495 (dimensions 7.30 long 2.30 width and c.1500kg incl load).

Perhaps my report is too straight forward for you just let me know but for the benefit of everyone interested in the consumptions here are some data points for you:

Consumption ranging from 300w to 420w depending on wind and ability to hyper mile behind lorries. Also it was +35 degrees during day time so aircon was full on.

Range: comfortably 225km and being brave 250km taking in consideration owed drying dynamics, please see next point. This is perhaps the most exiting part of my review considering also the tons of questions raised by people crossing by during charging on the camp site. That is actually quite nice how interested and excited people are this is already possible with electric cars. We expirerende range anxiety in our first, let’s say 1.000km. After that we become confident in the Tesla system to predict the range accurately.

Driving dynamics: Our speed limit was 95km/h but in many cases we couldn’t reach that so average when driving was just above 80km/h. Please note this was over 3000km of driving during summer which is a very busy period in particular the high ways we used to get to our destinations. Acceleration is amazing and as said by many other reviewers it is an ideal car for towing on high ways but also on steep small roads in the alps and on camp site when it is steep and slippery. We felt very confident on the car.

Charging: we used the Tesla Superchargers and in only 2 cases we had to unhitch otherwise we could simply occupy multiple stalls without bothering others, and otherwise we would have removed the caravan. When at destination we used the home charger and plugged in on the camp site outlets, used chargers on public places and so on that is certainly a bit less straight forward in France and Italy compared to NL but in Germany and Austria there are plentiful public ‘destination’ chargers of various providers.

Charging strategy: for who is interested we stopped using ABRP because it turned out for us that we didn’t want to go outside the super charging network because of its reliability and having plenty of free stalls reducing the times we had to unhitch. We then charged up to 100% which followed the well known charging curve meaning that from 80-100% took 20 minutes being at charging location close to 1 hour every time we stopped which is fine for us with childeren and me being the only person doing the driving due to driver licence requirements (car + caravan exceeds 3.500kg)

Hope you enjoyed reading my reviews and please let me know any feedback or questions happy to update and or answer accordingly.

Attachments

• 936CDC7D-E1B8-4E71-A7E9-95267C749824.jpeg
    936CDC7D-E1B8-4E71-A7E9-95267C749824.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 87E84506-BECD-4E88-AA48-5AD0DF3F863B.jpeg
    87E84506-BECD-4E88-AA48-5AD0DF3F863B.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 113