Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$11,016.42 repair for what seemed like a minor rear-ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got rear ended last month. Actually the guy behind me got hit, and he was pushed into us. We barely felt it. Damage looks not so bad.
Just got the updated repair estimate: $11,016.42. Yikes.

1718822934445.png

I don't see any frame damage in the estimate. Yes on the bumper cover, hatch, and rear panel. Just a lot of line items. Over half of total is labor. They have to remove the doors, roof, all kinds of stuff. Even replacing the trailer hitch for $1200.
I was kinda believing the total to be $11k for all those parts (assuming it was including painting, installing, etc)... But over HALF is labor?

Is this at a Tesla Service Center? Or a Tesla Supported shop?

11K. Sounds about average. Remember to get the diminished value claim.
We did discuss this, and apparently they're going to attempt to get this to me. I'm not holding my breath. The at-fault insurance (USAA) adjuster already told me there were "limit issues", which is why I have to work directly thought my insurance. But early on, my insurance (wawanesa) said they do not hand DV. So we'll see.

My D's small Audi got dinged in a parking lot at night. Initial insurance estimate was $1800. Final tally from body shop exceeded $11k. ($875 alone just to recalibrate the sensors in the new bumper.). So yeah, nothing small about being bumped in the rear anymore.

Don;'t forget OP, under California law, you can take the car to any repair shop you like. Feel free to ignore the At-fault carrier's recommendation.

Reactions: Michael Y
I was kinda believing the total to be $11k for all those parts (assuming it was including painting, installing, etc)... But over HALF is labor?

Is this at a Tesla Service Center? Or a Tesla Supported shop?
This is Amato's Auto Body in San Diego. I heard (on this forum) that they are good.

If anyone is interested, attached is the amended estimate.

Attachments

• tesla_repair.pdf
    421.6 KB · Views: 15