Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/18 M3P Got More Than I Paid For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you read that title correctly. I took delivery of my M3P on 12/28/18 and in my view of the world, Tesla has already given me MORE than I paid for. Specifically as of the middle of this coming week I will have gotten:

1. A 5% increase in power;
2. 3 extra months of free supercharging (I was supposed to get 6 and they credited me with 9);
3. A $3,000 discount on the cost of upgrading to FSD (when I purchased the car the upgrade cost was supposed to be $5,000 and last week I was able to purchase it for $2,000);
4. Sentry Mode.

None of the above were expected or negotiated by me...they were proactively given to me by Tesla. This seems to get lost on many here because they spend time looking at the deals that other folks have gotten and / or looking at what they may have gotten by purchasing their car later. However, as I see things, we all vote with our pocketbooks AT THE TIME THAT WE MAKE A PURCHASE. And, if we "hit the bid," it means that at that moment we felt we were getting fair value.

So, from where I sit, Tesla not only has not "screwed" me -- the way so many people have expressed feeling because of the price drops on the M3 and FSD -- they are the first car company that I have ever purchased from that gave me MORE than I bought. Bravo. Not only do I remain a Tesla fan, but I love my car and are encouraging as many people as I can to support the Company and its mission.

Agreed! When people ask about my car I, of course, rave about it and can now tell people the cost of admission is even less than when I bought last year.

I knew prices would be volatile in this market. If going into your purchase you did so thinking depreciation would be akin to another car from your past, that was a wrong assumption. If Tesla leased these cars that would solve the backend price concern for people.

Honestly, price change wasn’t my concern. When I ordered in August last year I was more concerned Tesla would make a material change to the tech or design post year one. That would have stung a lot more and made me wish I waited to buy.

Yes, you read that title correctly. I took delivery of my M3P on 12/28/18 and in my view of the world, Tesla has already given me MORE than I paid for. Specifically as of the middle of this coming week I will have gotten:

2. 3 extra months of free supercharging (I was supposed to get 6 and they credited me with 9);
3. A $3,000 discount on the cost of upgrading to FSD (when I purchased the car the upgrade cost was supposed to be $5,000 and last week I was able to purchase it for $2,000);
4. Sentry Mode.

None of the above were expected or negotiated by me...they were proactively given to me by Tesla. This seems to get lost on many here because they spend time looking at the deals that other folks have gotten and / or looking at what they may have gotten by purchasing their car later. However, as I see things, we all vote with our pocketbooks AT THE TIME THAT WE MAKE A PURCHASE. And, if we "hit the bid," it means that at that moment we felt we were getting fair value.

So, from where I sit, Tesla not only has not "screwed" me -- the way so many people have expressed feeling because of the price drops on the M3 and FSD -- they are the first car company that I have ever purchased from that gave me MORE than I bought. Bravo. Not only do I remain a Tesla fan, but I love my car and are encouraging as many people as I can to support the Company and its mission.
Very true and more to come...

4. Sentry Mode.

Tesla owners are supposedly viewed as being knowledgeable and as having some insight to what is happening around them.
What is with the amount of characters screaming they want to have a sales 'Do Over', this is unfathomable to me.
When I buy anything and I do mean,,, Anything, I research it & I try to measure it's worth, versus it's life span and also,
Do I Really Need It.
In the case of our Tesla, it was a deal that I knew was based on options driving the price, so I chose what I wanted and paid the price. We have never had buyers remorse nor have we ever had buyers envy. If a newer model warrants it, we will trade UP, not run around whining we were screwed. No one offers a sale as a perpetual improvement, But Tesla.
From day one, our car has improved on it's added value.
We have received approximately -37- firmware updates, for Free. Our Service Center visits were conducted with the upmost courtesy. After 60 years of dealing with typical car dealers, I can assure you, Tesla is the Creme' de La Creme. I could go on and on about the lame excuses I was given at a ICE dealership for car failures but never at a Tesla store. Maybe I am leading a charmed life, but I truly doubt it.
Musk is being yanked back and forth by the very people whom he is trying to please. In trying to appease these armchair experts, Tesla is being made to look weak and indecisive. All which is unnecessary and distracting.
Do you really think any of the 'Big Three' would have given these people a second thought?
When we purchased our car, I knew what it cost right down to the penny. I knew how it was suppose to built. At no time was never any question as to what I had entered into.
I knew and agreed to the Contract I Had Signed!
All of this self entitlement is disgusting to my way of conducting business and in my view, only serves one purpose and that is to feed the very people who want Tesla to fail.
Musk is unlike most CEO's. He cared enough to Not to sell Tesla, because it would have hurt the small investor. Trust me, he could have sold Tesla just like he said. Musk could be living the life of a very rich man and to hell with all of us and the company he helped to build.
BUT he doesn't because his views are not as short sighted as his own whining customers.
[END of RANT]
There is so much at stake here and these individuals are feeding right into it. Please step back and look at this situation, Do you really mean to do Tesla harm or are you just having buyers remorse?

If only I could be as excited about the service. Took delivery 12/12...3 months later and still waiting for mobile service to repair items that were scratched/broken at delivery. I guess the whole "less is more" makes this ok....
Looking at your previous posts, you knew the score when you bought. You've said previously that you got the go-ahead for service in Canada. Have you actively gone that route? If it's your third vehicle and thus not critical transportation, why didn't you refuse delivery and receive a vehicle that already met your standards?

Looking at your previous posts, you knew the score when you bought. You've said previously that you got the go-ahead for service in Canada. Have you actively gone that route? If it's your third vehicle and thus not critical transportation, why didn't you refuse delivery and receive a vehicle that already met your standards?
After getting up at 4am to catch a flight to nyc to take an hour Uber ride to the delivery center to wait 5 HOURS to wait on them to do paperwork and get new plates with a 450 mile drive home ahead of me I was already DONE with the "wonderful Tesla experience" and wanted to just get on the road home 10 hours back the other direction. I was assured all my issues would be resolved after I got home.

No I haven't driven 2 hours up to the service center so they can observe the issues, then drive 2 hours home to wait on an appointment to drive 2 hours back for them to fix it to drive 2 hours home. Sorry pal you aren't making any logical argument about this

Yes I was willing to have Canada be a service location if there was a catastrophic failure with the car. I didn't expect to have to go there for scratch trim pieces and other quality control issues on a brand new car

Congrats to you, it's nice to hear the positive with the negative. I think Tesla does a lot of things right, people who work for Tesla often try to do things right when things go wrong, there's also plenty of people who work for Tesla can get things wrong - but it's probably more to do with Tesla's lack of organization / structure / constantly shifting agendas / evolving processes. The reality is that Tesla is still learning how to be a real company so I think the experiences that people have varies wildly as I have seen equally compelling and consistent stories from both ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: Deslah
After getting up at 4am to catch a flight to nyc to take an hour Uber ride to the delivery center to wait 5 HOURS to wait on them to do paperwork and get new plates with a 450 mile drive home ahead of me I was already DONE with the "wonderful Tesla experience" and wanted to just get on the road home 10 hours back the other direction. I was assured all my issues would be resolved after I got home.

No I haven't driven 2 hours up to the service center so they can observe the issues, then drive 2 hours home to wait on an appointment to drive 2 hours back for them to fix it to drive 2 hours home. Sorry pal you aren't making any logical argument about this

Sorry, 'pal'? A bit rude there, alpha. I wasn't presenting any arguments; I was asking logical questions which you've emotionally dismissed.

OP created a thread on their experience and you've countered it with yours, but yours was an experience that you set yourself up for and your own previous posts validate this.

But, by all means, keep waiting months on that mobile visitation rather than making a few phone calls or taking a 1 hr 45 min joyride in a great car to get your own ball rolling.

Sorry, 'pal'? A bit rude there, alpha. I wasn't presenting any arguments; I was asking logical questions which you've emotionally dismissed.

OP created a thread on their experience and you've countered it with yours, but yours was an experience that you set yourself up for and your own previous posts validate this.

But, by all means, keep waiting months on that mobile visitation rather than making a few phone calls or taking a 1 hr 45 min joyride in a great car to get your own ball rolling.

Gotta say, he's right. MrMannilow, it seems you have set up yourself for failure.

You have to either take your car in (like any other automaker) or wait for them to have an appointment available so they can go to your place.

Reactions: RachH and navguy12

4. Sentry Mode.

Agree!!!

4. Sentry Mode.

Agreed!

I knew how much I was paying for my M3 back on Sept. 2018 and at that time was a fair price for me... and I still think the same.

I got more things that were stating in my contract and for that alone, I believe what I paid at that time was worth it.

So far, no issues with service center and even if I were to have one... well, we are humans after all, no one is perfect.

I can see both sides of the argument and I want to present a different perspective outside of the positivity you were aiming for, but I think your definition of getting "screwed" might be different than someone else's. It's important to note the "comparison with whom" factor with many complainers both here and badgering on Elon's twitter.

I wholeheartedly agree that their continuous development in features and software is free and not required, but it's not to say that only some Model 3 people have these features unlocked while others don't. To them, this may not be considered fair. Selfishness? Greed? Exclusiveness? I don't know but it's the reality of human nature I guess.

For example, I've personally noticed that some December folks got the short end of the stick. Had they waited a couple weeks outside of the tax incentive discount marketing push, they could've easily gotten a ~2k discount with all incentives and price adjustments considered. It's just that many did not know that the price change was going to happen and thus in "comparison with January folks", they got "screwed".

Another example, had people waited to purchase FSD (a product that has yet released), they could've gotten it cheaper as early access - something that some car owners could really care less for. So in comparison to those folks who decided to purchase it together for $5k? Yes, then they might feel "screwed".

For clarity, my personal feels differs from many complainers, but it's important to see where people are coming from imho.

4. Sentry Mode.

I am willing to bet that you are very well off. People with a lot of money don’t worry about spending more on things. People who have to look at the payment every month for years, do.

I agree that the car is awesome and it is great to have the features keep rolling in like they promised you when you bought it.

But, fairness and equity, or at least the appearance of it, are important to a lot of people. When Tesla is not open and honest about their sales and discounts, customers feel manipulated and tricked if they missed the gravy train by days or weeks. You can’t take that feeling away.

4. Sentry Mode.

Agree, this car just keeps getting better!