Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/18 M3P Got More Than I Paid For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 whingers are ruining TMC for me - now we have someone moaning who hasn’t even picked up his car yet!

Downvote away

I'm sorry to say but service begins before you pick up your car.
I have to say sth about my own experience to address your point - Tesla was supposed to send me some standard documentation so I could finalize the loan. I waited two weeks for them to do something as simple as sending an email with the VIN number of a car that was due to be delivered the following week. I had planned an overseas trip and if I went on that trip without paying for the car, I would lose my place in line, probably 3750 of the 7500 deduction because as the Tesla guy said/threatened - I would go to the end of the line again - so I made a one -day stopover in San Diego JUST to finalize the loan while waiting for Tesla to get back to me. You see, my contact was a guy named Justin, who never returned my calls, texts or emails and as it turns out, until the day I arrived in SD. he promised to send the information over that day to my loan officer and of course never did. When I called back, his line went straight to voicemail that day with the message he was on vacation. The ONLY way to reach someone at Tesla was through Roadside Assistance. I kid you not. they eventually patched me through to someone in delivery in Vegas and finally back to someone in Texas. so I spent an extra $900 to stop over, had no way to reach Tesla, and all this BEFORE I even pick up the car.
wait.. there's more...but for another time - 'nuff said

Now, I'm going to sit in my Tesla and play Mission Command for an hour or two and make fart noises until I feel better.

I'm sorry to say but service begins before you pick up your car.
I have to say sth about my own experience to address your point - Tesla was supposed to send me some standard documentation so I could finalize the loan. I waited two weeks for them to do something as simple as sending an email with the VIN number of a car that was due to be delivered the following week. I had planned an overseas trip and if I went on that trip without paying for the car, I would lose my place in line, probably 3750 of the 7500 deduction because as the Tesla guy said/threatened - I would go to the end of the line again - so I made a one -day stopover in San Diego JUST to finalize the loan while waiting for Tesla to get back to me. You see, my contact was a guy named Justin, who never returned my calls, texts or emails and as it turns out, until the day I arrived in SD. he promised to send the information over that day to my loan officer and of course never did. When I called back, his line went straight to voicemail that day with the message he was on vacation. The ONLY way to reach someone at Tesla was through Roadside Assistance. I kid you not. they eventually patched me through to someone in delivery in Vegas and finally back to someone in Texas. so I spent an extra $900 to stop over, had no way to reach Tesla, and all this BEFORE I even pick up the car.
wait.. there's more...but for another time - 'nuff said

Now, I'm going to sit in my Tesla and play Mission Command for an hour or two and make fart noises until I feel better.
As Bjorn would say, "Sheeeeeet"

I am willing to bet that you are very well off. People with a lot of money don’t worry about spending more on things. People who have to look at the payment every month for years, do.

I agree that the car is awesome and it is great to have the features keep rolling in like they promised you when you bought it.

But, fairness and equity, or at least the appearance of it, are important to a lot of people. When Tesla is not open and honest about their sales and discounts, customers feel manipulated and tricked if they missed the gravy train by days or weeks. You can’t take that feeling away.

Throughout my adult life there have been times that I could be construed as very well off and also others as not having had two nickels to rub together. But my personality trait of not looking at other people's deals to determine fair value for me has always been a constant. I determine whether or not I think something is worth the price when I am ready to buy it. If it drops in price the next day, oh well. That can work both ways in life and over many years it probably is all a wash so why worry about it? That is just how I am built. Perhaps I am just lucky as this trait keeps me from a lot of the angst folks here seem to have over stuff that is completely out of their control.

Very happy for you but a bit self-serving if you think about it.

For those of us with a less than optimal experience (and I can tell you it was not because of 'timing' of purchase or expectations that the cost would fluctuate), it really does little to address concerns that plague Tesla Delivery and Service.
so. yeah - good for you so you can tell everyone you feel good about it.

As I said I'm happy for you but it does nothing to move the needle toward better care from the people at Tesla. and after all, don't we ALL want to brag about what AMAZING deal and service we got?

So Tesla - pay attention - you made a few happy customers but you've got a bucket load of others who are just too frustrated to complain because you have failed with at least as many customers in the service department.

No, I think Tesla has likely made a LOT of people happy, but the folks that aren't tend to come here to vent. And, that is fine, but please don't confuse this Forum with being a representative sample of Tesla owners. There is a reason that Tesla had the highest percentage of owners who loved their cars when Consumer Reports recently asked that question...

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
How are you able to get 9 months of free supercharging versus 6 months.. because from what I heard if you didn't test drive a model 3 and took delivery of purchase you were offered 9 months of free supercharging, since you didn't test drive the vehicle in my scenario.. I was basically forced to drive the car even though I already knew everything on how it operated, so I'm thinking that I should be getting 9 months also....Where can you clarify that??

I do not know why or how I got the extra 3 months, only that I expected 6 and have 9. Of course I have yet to use a Super Charger and may never need to, so it's cool, but not terribly important to me.

Fair point, but it's hard to say "I got more than I paid for" when a significant piece of hardware is missing, with no ETA. Even if I did get a few extras as software updates... those went to everyone with a model3. The missing hardware is a thing I specifically purchased.

I’ve had my 3 for about 3 days and am in middle of cross country trip now. Over the course of my life I’ve driven all types of vehicle, owned a handful, and driven everything from compacts to “super cars” for work etc. I had to buy this car in short notice after totaling my last in a bad wreck. In all my test drives of bmws, cadillacs, Audi’s, Volvo’s, and the like this car is in an entirely different class from all the ICE vehicles. Worth every penny I have paid and then some. At delivery my initially ordered vehicle had a chip on the windshield so I got an upgraded with additional $3000 option for $700. I’ve seen the price changes and the articles and I suspect any maintenance will require patience but let’s remember we’re disrupting a 115 year long industry. My thought as I run down the highway is when will the EV stations designed to cater to 20 min relaxation periods (to take advantage of the t3 chargers) start popping up. Has to be less startup capital than for dropping ten thousand gallon fuel tanks into the ground with constant deliveries, compliance, regs, etc. Get rid of the convenience store grab some ultra processed crap and go mentality for a truly stretch your legs, get the blood flowing and stimulate the driver and passenger facilities. Who’s with me, let’s start franchising!

Fair point, but it's hard to say "I got more than I paid for" when a significant piece of hardware is missing, with no ETA. Even if I did get a few extras as software updates... those went to everyone with a model3. The missing hardware is a thing I specifically purchased.

Completely valid way of looking at it! For me the 5% performance boost far outweighs any of the other stuff. I am frankly not even sure I will mount the spoiler. And that is definitely a place where my personal views may be wildly different that others!

Tesla owners are supposedly viewed as being knowledgeable and as having some insight to what is happening around them.
What is with the amount of characters screaming they want to have a sales 'Do Over', this is unfathomable to me.
When I buy anything and I do mean,,, Anything, I research it & I try to measure it's worth, versus it's life span and also,
Do I Really Need It.
In the case of our Tesla, it was a deal that I knew was based on options driving the price, so I chose what I wanted and paid the price. We have never had buyers remorse nor have we ever had buyers envy. If a newer model warrants it, we will trade UP, not run around whining we were screwed. No one offers a sale as a perpetual improvement, But Tesla.
From day one, our car has improved on it's added value.
We have received approximately -37- firmware updates, for Free. Our Service Center visits were conducted with the upmost courtesy. After 60 years of dealing with typical car dealers, I can assure you, Tesla is the Creme' de La Creme. I could go on and on about the lame excuses I was given at a ICE dealership for car failures but never at a Tesla store. Maybe I am leading a charmed life, but I truly doubt it.
Musk is being yanked back and forth by the very people whom he is trying to please. In trying to appease these armchair experts, Tesla is being made to look weak and indecisive. All which is unnecessary and distracting.
Do you really think any of the 'Big Three' would have given these people a second thought?
When we purchased our car, I knew what it cost right down to the penny. I knew how it was suppose to built. At no time was never any question as to what I had entered into.
I knew and agreed to the Contract I Had Signed!
All of this self entitlement is disgusting to my way of conducting business and in my view, only serves one purpose and that is to feed the very people who want Tesla to fail.
Musk is unlike most CEO's. He cared enough to Not to sell Tesla, because it would have hurt the small investor. Trust me, he could have sold Tesla just like he said. Musk could be living the life of a very rich man and to hell with all of us and the company he helped to build.
BUT he doesn't because his views are not as short sighted as his own whining customers.
[END of RANT]
There is so much at stake here and these individuals are feeding right into it. Please step back and look at this situation, Do you really mean to do Tesla harm or are you just having buyers remorse?
Bravo! If you get a chance you might go to my website, www.LennyDoesRants.com and watch my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. I won't link it here because some have already seen it. Hopefully you get a laugh out of it. We could use some more positivity.

• Funny
I read everything about Elon Musk and Tesla years before the M3 unveil. I wanted one like I don't remember ever wanting anything, except my wife, as much as I wanted a Tesla. I placed my reservation the night of the unveil and waited two and a half years for delivery. I took delivery on July 6 2018,a date I will never forget. I had lept into the future. Tesla has kept me there ever since. The price I paid was for the privilege of being on the cutting edge and I'd do it again. Now new owners are benefiting from the experiences of myself and the thousands of others like us. It's a rare experience in ones life to be able to be in the advance guard of an Earth changing movement. Relatively speaking Tesla is a midget among giants (who laughed and mocked Tesla)yet the giants belatedly see the future and are now trying to catch up. I'm at a loss to understand the whiners and complainers who criticize the company the car and the man. Why did they buy the car?

I read everything about Elon Musk and Tesla years before the M3 unveil. I wanted one like I don't remember ever wanting anything, except my wife, as much as I wanted a Tesla. I placed my reservation the night of the unveil and waited two and a half years for delivery. I took delivery on July 6 2018,a date I will never forget. I had lept into the future. Tesla has kept me there ever since. The price I paid was for the privilege of being on the cutting edge and I'd do it again. Now new owners are benefiting from the experiences of myself and the thousands of others like us. It's a rare experience in ones life to be able to be in the advance guard of an Earth changing movement. Relatively speaking Tesla is a midget among giants (who laughed and mocked Tesla)yet the giants belatedly see the future and are now trying to catch up. I'm at a loss to understand the whiners and complainers who criticize the company the car and the man. Why did they buy the car?

Yes, you read that title correctly. I took delivery of my M3P on 12/28/18 and in my view of the world, Tesla has already given me MORE than I paid for. Specifically as of the middle of this coming week I will have gotten:

1. A 5% increase in power;
2. 3 extra months of free supercharging (I was supposed to get 6 and they credited me with 9);
3. A $3,000 discount on the cost of upgrading to FSD (when I purchased the car the upgrade cost was supposed to be $5,000 and last week I was able to purchase it for $2,000);
4. Sentry Mode.

None of the above were expected or negotiated by me...they were proactively given to me by Tesla. This seems to get lost on many here because they spend time looking at the deals that other folks have gotten and / or looking at what they may have gotten by purchasing their car later. However, as I see things, we all vote with our pocketbooks AT THE TIME THAT WE MAKE A PURCHASE. And, if we "hit the bid," it means that at that moment we felt we were getting fair value.

So, from where I sit, Tesla not only has not "screwed" me -- the way so many people have expressed feeling because of the price drops on the M3 and FSD -- they are the first car company that I have ever purchased from that gave me MORE than I bought. Bravo. Not only do I remain a Tesla fan, but I love my car and are encouraging as many people as I can to support the Company and its mission.
I also agree. I thought I picked a good time to buy 2/11/19, but it’s just gotten better. This morning I was talking two two older ladies about my Tesla. One has a son who bought an X and later M3. One of them asked me if I minded telling them how much I paid for it. I got the mid range single motor premium interior and just recently the $2k driving software update. They both own Buick’s and told me that they both paid more 10 years ago for their cars. I think you could put a large value on the mystique alone. People stop me and ask questions about the car. I though it would take the price range of a Ferrari to elicit that kind ofresponse (if that’s what you are into).

I guess I am one of these wired types who gets special satisfaction in getting a bargain, especially against the big boys, big energy, big auto, and big utility. I was dreaming of putting solar panels and an electric car together a long time ago when Chevy did their unprofitable but very innovative experiment in electric cars. The lithium battery patent had been purchased by big oil and put on the back shelf, and the efficiency of solar panels for consumer roofs was so low and the cost so high that they didn’t make any practical economic sense to install. The Litjium ion battery began to break out into practicality, and a new company called Tesla had a car with reasonable range and a promise of a charging network. All the pieces fell into place within one or two years of themselves. When Tesla announced that there would be an affordable electric car in the future, I drove over to test drive a model S (not affordable). I then contracted for a large solar array which would power my house and a future Tesla. Two days later an at fault person totaled my Accura. I bought a used Volt (which my whole family loves to drive). With gasoline savings of $200 per month and electricity savings of $270 per month, I have already paid off the solar roof, the Volt, and now am working on paying off the Tesla.
Yes, yes, yes I am happy with the M3. Recently I measured across the front and back seats door to door on the S and the M3. If I remember correctly, the difference was 1 1/2 inches. Way back I really didn’t expect Tesla’s “affordable” electric car to come so close to the S in every way. I actually like the driving feel of M3 better. I just don’t know of any car that can best the driving experience of the M3. My family and friends go nuts when they drive it. The car has exceeded my expectations and is getting better.

• Love
Reactions: UngaBunga1989
So happy to read all the positive experiences.
I’m waiting to take delivery of my M3 in Europe in a few weeks.
To be honest I’ve been a little apprehensive reading so many FUD stories, but I do know that early adopters are risk takers and usually resigned to paying a bit over the odds.
Glad to see this has not dampened enthusiasm for the car or the mission.

Bravo! If you get a chance you might go to my website, www.LennyDoesRants.com and watch my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. I won't link it here because some have already seen it. Hopefully you get a laugh out of it. We could use some more positivity.
Lenny Rants borders on being over the top, but,
So Many People has lost sight of the fact, this still a start up company in so many areas.
Imagine how much Tesla will improve as all this hubris settles down. Too many little areas of drama for Tesla to concentrate on, day by day.
Yes, They have hit the ground running, yes they have tried to be the all to end all. A energy company, a transportation company, a logistical freight company, a super sports car company, you should know about all of their endeavors by now.
Yes, it would be great if everything would drop into place, overnight, but look, Ford, GM and Chrysler has had years to deal with these issues of building supply lines, shipping lines and all the other little things that have made them who they are.. If you think you should have all you deserve - Now, well, try looking at your own little world. Have you made sure you have delivered all that was asked of you, in your dealings with your company?, your family? & your friends?
I know I have missed many of crucial little things in my life but the sun still came up the next day!
In the case of Tesla, if you had enough faith to have even bought into their mantra, have enough faith to know, they will pull through. If you have enough faith, try helping them by PULL the little loads. Assist by having some understanding of what they have on their plate. Keep in mind that those Tesla hires as their Go Betweens, the 'Assistants', might be your stumbling block.
It's hard sometimes to rein in enthusiasm, if you care, help, don't chip away at the very thing you say you care about.
[another endless rant]

I guess I am one of these wired types who gets special satisfaction in getting a bargain, especially against the big boys, big energy, big auto, and big utility. I was dreaming of putting solar panels and an electric car together a long time ago when Chevy did their unprofitable but very innovative experiment in electric cars. The lithium battery patent had been purchased by big oil and put on the back shelf, and the efficiency of solar panels for consumer roofs was so low and the cost so high that they didn’t make any practical economic sense to install. The Litjium ion battery began to break out into practicality, and a new company called Tesla had a car with reasonable range and a promise of a charging network. All the pieces fell into place within one or two years of themselves. When Tesla announced that there would be an affordable electric car in the future, I drove over to test drive a model S (not affordable). I then contracted for a large solar array which would power my house and a future Tesla. Two days later an at fault person totaled my Accura. I bought a used Volt (which my whole family loves to drive). With gasoline savings of $200 per month and electricity savings of $270 per month, I have already paid off the solar roof, the Volt, and now am working on paying off the Tesla.
Yes, yes, yes I am happy with the M3. Recently I measured across the front and back seats door to door on the S and the M3. If I remember correctly, the difference was 1 1/2 inches. Way back I really didn’t expect Tesla’s “affordable” electric car to come so close to the S in every way. I actually like the driving feel of M3 better. I just don’t know of any car that can best the driving experience of the M3. My family and friends go nuts when they drive it. The car has exceeded my expectations and is getting better.
It is an infectious experience. Don't get in one if your not ready to catch the Tesla fever ;)
As you have point out, go forth with your eyes open and the ride will be more than you ever thought it could be.

No, I think Tesla has likely made a LOT of people happy, but the folks that aren't tend to come here to vent. And, that is fine, but please don't confuse this Forum with being a representative sample of Tesla owners. There is a reason that Tesla had the highest percentage of owners who loved their cars when Consumer Reports recently asked that question...
I guess we can argue what the purpose of this forum is, but I seriously doubt that most Tesla owner are here just to make Tesla feel good about themselves. Most of us like to 1. brag about their Teslas; 2. complain about their Teslas; 3. complain about Tesla service (and not necessarily in that order) . in fact most of us would like to see Tesla listen to #3 and #2 so we can do more of #1. oh yeah. a fourth reason to be on this forum - to ask ourselves why we are on this forum...