Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12,305 miles over 7 weeks - Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's Bonneville Salt Flats. Definitely check it out but be careful I passed a toyota 4runner buried up to it's wheel wells and the tow/ticket if you get stuck is not cheap! I hit a really dry spot to take mine out which probably still wasn't the best idea but it was a ton of fun! She got a quick bath after that. I'm going to try to edit the original post or if I can't add some additional details here in a minute on the route.

Very cool. I was there the other day, just hours before the smoke from the CA fires made it that far east.
Best access seems to be from the rest stop on I-80 westbound, 10 miles from the Nevada border. I may go back that way in a week or two- does anybody know if the eastbound rest area across the way is as good?
People were zipping out onto the salt flats right from the rest area, one guy had to be doing 120mph. Saw a crew of guys taking turns skiing behind their pickup truck. I just rode my bike a mile or so out there.
I spent time out there years ago with my brother and then we merged onto the highway at 70mph because the edge of the desert met with the road that smoothly. We got pulled over immediately and got a citation for "entering a highway without using a controlled access." Then the guy told us we shouldn't have been doing that because the crust can crack and your car goes in and no tow truck company will risk their gear to haul you out. He said, "Didn't you see all those cars sunk in up to their window sills?" No, we were out there for hours and we were all over the place and didn't see that then, and I didn't see it this time either. Then he told us to go to the Shell station in Wendover and use the car wash and spray under the car because "that will eat the *sugar* outa your car."

Attachments

• salt flat biking.jpeg
    salt flat biking.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I was so hoping the Cybertruck would be a good vehicle for this, but I don't see that myself....

I want a vehicle that has the space all inside with a decent interior height. I am seriously considering an ICE vehicle for these kinds of trips. And unfortunately likely to buy one in the next year....:(

do you have a photo of your 3 in the sleeping position.

I slept one night in the Model S, but I did end up making a wood platform to make it flat.

Having done similar in ICE and EV (and a Prius Hybrid), EV is best because if you need to leave it run all night (for heat or AC) it's safer and quieter.

The biggest issue here is that nobody writing the Camping Mode code as slept in their Tesla. It's barely mediocre. To start with, the screen should be off.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Looks like a great time! Some great parks on that drive! I’m impressed how well you got to them all with the available charging. Just keeps getting better all the time for us electro heads.

I’ve done a few trips like this in different cars I’ve owned over the years.

I suspect it will be a long time before the next one though now that there’s a wide and kids.

I miss the open road, it having a family has its own rewards too.

Reactions: rigs21k
That is an AWESOME trip!!! Really jealous that you camped it all. That's fantastic - and one heck of an itinerary!

We just got back Wednesday from a similar, but shorter, trip in our Model X. I wholeheartedly concur with you - the national parks pass is amazing! We have a simply incredible country to see, and I couldn't imagine any better time to do so.

My post about our journey here: #275
This is awesome thanks for sharing. I love the idea of one post for all the road trips but don't see one for M3. Maybe I'll kick one off. I wish there was some more flexibility in this forum in terms of sticky posts and such.

Looks like a great time! Some great parks on that drive! I’m impressed how well you got to them all with the available charging. Just keeps getting better all the time for us electro heads.

I’ve done a few trips like this in different cars I’ve owned over the years.

I suspect it will be a long time before the next one though now that there’s a wide and kids.

I miss the open road, it having a family has its own rewards too.
Yea I hear you. I have an 8 and 9 year old so all 4 of us took the trek through the smokies, Louisianna, and to Austin where my family is. Then they flew home I did all the parks out west by myself(cheaper and easier since I could car camp), then they flew out to Denver and did the last 7-10 days with me. Obviously I have the luxury of time right now which I wouldn't if I was working but you might consider having them join you in different legs. I would have taken them on the whole thing but it was just too cost prohibitive right now and it was nice to be able to come and go as I felt without having to plan hotels/airbnb.

I was so hoping the Cybertruck would be a good vehicle for this, but I don't see that myself....

I want a vehicle that has the space all inside with a decent interior height. I am seriously considering an ICE vehicle for these kinds of trips. And unfortunately likely to buy one in the next year....:(

do you have a photo of your 3 in the sleeping position.

I slept one night in the Model S, but I did end up making a wood platform to make it flat.
@jnhashmi I think this will answer your question as well. I didn't find sleeping that much out of wack. I definitely noticed it but it wasn't an issue with the 4" memory foam.
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1813.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Owner and GZDongles
Ripping yarn!

256 WH/mi is better than I would have guessed. Does that figure include the energy spent at rest i.e. running a/c overnight?

Did you make any special effort toward efficiency in your driving habits?

Best - Gary
None whatsoever so I'm not sure why the results and I don't know if that includes at rest. I can't imagine it would. I will tell you that doing 135MPH through west TX didn't help the efficiency :)

Very cool. I was there the other day, just hours before the smoke from the CA fires made it that far east.
Best access seems to be from the rest stop on I-80 westbound, 10 miles from the Nevada border. I may go back that way in a week or two- does anybody know if the eastbound rest area across the way is as good?
People were zipping out onto the salt flats right from the rest area, one guy had to be doing 120mph. Saw a crew of guys taking turns skiing behind their pickup truck. I just rode my bike a mile or so out there.
I spent time out there years ago with my brother and then we merged onto the highway at 70mph because the edge of the desert met with the road that smoothly. We got pulled over immediately and got a citation for "entering a highway without using a controlled access." Then the guy told us we shouldn't have been doing that because the crust can crack and your car goes in and no tow truck company will risk their gear to haul you out. He said, "Didn't you see all those cars sunk in up to their window sills?" No, we were out there for hours and we were all over the place and didn't see that then, and I didn't see it this time either. Then he told us to go to the Shell station in Wendover and use the car wash and spray under the car because "that will eat the *sugar* outa your car."
yea I entered by the rest stop and hit 100+ at one point and did a little drifting. There was only like 3 other cars out there and it was pretty wide open. The raceway was closed though with signs all over. I was really careful to drive around and walk the area before I tried the silly stuff. I wish I had a picture of that 4runner but it was up to it's stepboards and totally screwed

Having done similar in ICE and EV (and a Prius Hybrid), EV is best because if you need to leave it run all night (for heat or AC) it's safer and quieter.

The biggest issue here is that nobody writing the Camping Mode code as slept in their Tesla. It's barely mediocre. To start with, the screen should be off.
I agree! Also you should be able to control everything from your phone so you don't have to reach up and shut the movie off, turn off the screen, adjust the sound, etc. Also if I remember right controlling the temp from your phone screws up camp mode. It's better then any other car out there but still not what it could be.