Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/6/19 Tesla Has Returned FUSC to the Used Cars They Offer... Sort of.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order yesterday and did recieve Free supercharging with my vehicle. Also 4yr/50K warranty and battery warranty till sept 2024. The vehicle is a 2016 90D with 49K miles on it. The although online it says free supercharging, the emailed order says free unlimitied supercharging (not sure what the difference is) but reading Ostrichask post, i believe it likely eludes to the fact that it is non-transferable. Am ok with that as i plan to keep the car for a while, and by for awhile i mean forever:)!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just ordered a used Model S yesterday from the Tesla website and the build details say 'Pay Per Use Supercharging'. I assume I am not getting the FUSC, but reading this thread -- I may have to call them and bring it up.
Again, to the best of my knowledge, this change was updated today... 12/6/19

You entered into an agreement based on the terms of the date you entered said agreement. Not sure they will want to hear too much but if you haven't yet taken delivery I supposed you can threaten (or even follow through with) refusal of delivery if they don't change that agreement for your purchase.

Also, as with anything regarding Tesla, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. You'll need it when things go south.

I just ordered a used Model S yesterday from the Tesla website and the build details say 'Pay Per Use Supercharging'. I assume I am not getting the FUSC, but reading this thread -- I may have to call them and bring it up.

To be honest, if you just placed the order, like one day before they made the change (assuming it's a 90kWh which apparently is getting this now), I would just cancel and re-order. Free supercharging may not be worth much, but it's surely more valuable than the $100 order fee.

See what your advisor tells you...

Again, to the best of my knowledge, this change was updated today... 12/6/19

You entered into an agreement based on the terms of the date you entered said agreement. Not sure they will want to hear too much but if you haven't yet taken delivery I supposed you can threaten (or even follow through with) refusal of delivery if they don't change that agreement for your purchase.

Also, as with anything regarding Tesla, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. You'll need it when things go south.

I'll talk to the local dealer person when we finalize everything next week. I have the MVPA sent over to my credit union. Side note, I e-mailed Tesla Support and they were unable to add the referral code used to my order since it was too late. I called my local Tesla dealer and referenced the RN number, they were able to add the referral link to the order. So I may have a better chance of talking to my local person regarding the FUSC. I'll reach out to them on Monday. I love this forum! Thanks, everyone.

One of my concerns with insurance on the car is that it came with FUSC and I'm pretty sure that's not covered by my insurance. I don't think new Teslas are coming with that. I didn't realize a used Tesla might include it other than cars that came with transferable FUSC. Is this car by car depending on what exactly?

The term "sort of" wasn't meant literal. It was meant to indicate that it wasn't FUSC the way it was originally spelled out for a number of years. In the original version, it was transferable for the life of the car from owner to owner.
Come one, nothing about Tesla policies is ever clear. Your interpretations above are incorrect, since Tesla has pulled FUSC from cars resold by 3rd party dealers, so not for life of the car. That is the biggest problem with Tesla, they say one thing, then use sleazy wordplay to save money - "P85D is a 700hp car, pay us $25K extra to upgrade from 400hp version - oh, only your motor is 691hp, your car will never produce more than 463hp", "your display is covered under warranty - oh unless it's been exposed to oxygen", "your car free unlimitted lifetime supercharging - oh, we meant the lifetime of our whim", "the car will find you anywhere on private property - oh, we meant it will drive up to 40 ft in a straight line while you hold a dead-man switch", "everyone will get a P100D loaner while in service - oh we meant uP to $100 uber creDit (obviously your browser ate some letters", etc, etc.

Who really cares if FUSC is non-transferable to the next owner. I would be more concerned with what I get as buyer of a used Tesla, FOR ME. I think that's great the perk returns for those in the used market. It probably also gives Tesla an additional revenue stream by increasing the used car price by 1K-2K to offset the perk of FUSC every time they resell a used model.

As been repeated often, we have FUSC and don't use it nearly as often is I thought we would. On a roadtrip we used FUSC once a day but none at all under the normal everyday routine.

The bigger concern with more and more FUSC users, will there be enough Superchargers to meet demand? It already sucks having to wait 20-30 minutes at crowded locations and having the charge rate reduced due to all stalls being occupied.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Come one, nothing about Tesla policies is ever clear. Your interpretations above are incorrect, since Tesla has pulled FUSC from cars resold by 3rd party dealers, so not for life of the car. That is the biggest problem with Tesla, they say one thing, then use sleazy wordplay to save money - "P85D is a 700hp car, pay us $25K extra to upgrade from 400hp version - oh, only your motor is 691hp, your car will never produce more than 463hp", "your display is covered under warranty - oh unless it's been exposed to oxygen", "your car free unlimitted lifetime supercharging - oh, we meant the lifetime of our whim", "the car will find you anywhere on private property - oh, we meant it will drive up to 40 ft in a straight line while you hold a dead-man switch", "everyone will get a P100D loaner while in service - oh we meant uP to $100 uber creDit (obviously your browser ate some letters", etc, etc.
Got a link to the information where they pulled FUSC from used cars sold by 3rd party dealers?

Got a link to the information where they pulled FUSC from used cars sold by 3rd party dealers?
If you're asking for an official announcement from Tesla, those do not exist on almost any topic or policy - Tesla just does things and you won't wing out what until you, as a customer, are faced with that situation (and sometimes it changes between conversations too). But if you're looking for individual accounts from customers, you can find them here on TMC, for example Post #7 in this thread has a copy of the response from Tesla customer service about one such incident. There are other examples, sometimes peppered through other thread like No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

• Disagree
This has been there since they brought back free supercharging for new cars. It was just on barely used cars though, and now it seems like it stretches a little bit lower in the tiers. They've probably figured out on average which price point corresponds with buyers who won't inconvenience themselves for a free charge.

If you're asking for an official announcement from Tesla, those do not exist on almost any topic or policy - Tesla just does things and you won't wing out what until you, as a customer, are faced with that situation (and sometimes it changes between conversations too). But if you're looking for individual accounts from customers, you can find them here on TMC, for example Post #7 in this thread has a copy of the response from Tesla customer service about one such incident. There are other examples, sometimes peppered through other thread like No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles
Kind of what I figured.... no statement from Tesla and your post is the first time I've heard of it. One random message from someone @ Tesla doesn't constitute a company-wide mandate. You can ask 10 different Tesla reps the same question and get 10 different answers and not one of them will be right. I've never heard of this before & I'm not buying it.

Kind of what I figured.... no statement from Tesla and your post is the first time I've heard of it. One random message from someone @ Tesla doesn't constitute a company-wide mandate. You can ask 10 different Tesla reps the same question and get 10 different answers and not one of them will be right. I've never heard of this before & I'm not buying it.
Exactly what I said, there is never official communications from Tesla when they screw customers. Tesla has amazing policies and awesome customer service and benefits, it's the random "@ tesla"'s (to use your vernacular) who are screwing customers, but as long as Tesla doesn't publicly acknowledge it, the problem doesn't exist, right?

And in this case, the story you're sticking with is that some customer service employee just made a policy about removing supercharging from vehicles sold by dealers, right? Why, according to you, do you think they would do that?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Let's end this thread... If Tesla purchases a vehicle and opts to sell it used, they can change or revive any option they want. If the original vehicle said..."unlimited charging for the life of the vehicle" and Tesla purchased it, they have every legal right to sell it with any warranty or lack thereof that they choose. There is no binding contract between a new buyer and Tesla for a used vehicle unless the terms of that contract state otherwise. The only exception is a manufacturer's warranty, that may be subject to State Law. Get over it and, again, get solar.