Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery & DC/DC Converter issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 S which is having some issues keeping the 12V happy. Sometimes when I get in my car after it has been parked it refuses to drive, saying voltage supply is too low. Sometimes I need to lock and unlock and other times I need to disconnect + from the 12v for a little bit in order to drive.

When parked, especially overnight the car will die and wakeup multiple times throwing these errors
GTW_w017
GTW_w018
GTW_w157

When car is awake it regularly throws GTW_w405 12v not supported.
If the voltage supply error is present refusing to go into drive it will throw DI_u014 unable to drive

When it refuses to drive the 12v will be at 13.2-13.4V
Other times it will be at 14.2-14.4v and be perfectly happy
It can jump between these just by going from "car off" to PRND

DC/DC converter is showing an output of 14.1V when the 12v battery is at 13.4V.
If the 12v is at 14.4V it shows an output of 14.6+v

The 12V battery is around 3 months old and I have swapped in a brand new one just to test, same behavior.
I have the Gen 2 DC/DC and have checked for corrosion in lower A pillar connectors as well as damaged wires around the converter connectors without any luck.
If I remove the voltage sensor from the 12V battery it jumps to 65+ volts so it seems like the sensor is okay

Sometimes if the battery drops down to 13.xV I can see it slowly climb back up to 14+V

Does anyone have any idea?

If you already checked power/ground connections from DC/DC and car is not throwing HV errors Maybe DC/DC is getting bad? Normally I would not start firing the parts cannon but maybe you can get a used DCDC for cheap and try swapping it?
Toolbox shows everything as okay with DC/DC converter, outputting 13.9V when 12V battery is at 13.4V. 14.5V when 12v battery is at 14.1V
Looking at another S it seems to have the same voltage ranges