Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Replacement - Local Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies in advance, since I know a few threads already exist regarding the 12v battery in our cars. Right now, I'm just looking for a simple, quick answer for my question.

Are there any alternatives to the 85B24LS battery that I could find at Menards/Advance Auto/Autozone? My 12v battery died without warning today, and my nearest service center is 2 hours away. I have hunted around and I can't seem to find one that matches the dimensions and capacity Tesla is using. Does anyone know of a third party alternative?

Pretty irked that this is such a difficult search, seeing as this company has been around for more than 10 years now...

If you're talking about the standard lead acid 12V battery, as opposed to the newer lithium ion version, then what you're looking for is a Group 51R. Also note that it's recommended that the battery have a vent port (for outgassing).

Tesla Service should be able to provide the battery at around $85 over-the-counter, plus an installation charge if you have mobile service come out and replace it for you.

You might want to submit a service request or roadside in the app. Tesla doesn't have you come to the shop for these. They replace them mobile and for free if you are still in warranty period.

Other than that I am sure there are better 51r batteries in the market with higher amp hours. That ACdelco is priced well and a good brand.

I just got these battery warnings today. I went over 50K miles 2 days ago... very suspicious, like they waited until the battery warranty expired to start giving me error messages. Only about $110 for Tesla to replace with a mobile appointment scheduled, but it is 11 days away. Am I safe to drive the car, or should I buy a battery locally?

I just got these battery warnings today. I went over 50K miles 2 days ago... very suspicious, like they waited until the battery warranty expired to start giving me error messages. Only about $110 for Tesla to replace with a mobile appointment scheduled, but it is 11 days away. Am I safe to drive the car, or should I buy a battery locally?
First and formost: YMMV.

My 2018 M3 had a fault, not 12V related, warranty handled, back in the day. The Service Center replaced the battery as part of the repair. That's not the biggie.

The more interesting story is my previous car, a 2010 Toyota Prius. In many ways, the hardware architecture of the Prius mirrors that of the Tesla: There's a traction battery that, full-on, runs the two electric motors in the thing, and a high voltage to low voltage DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery that runs all the lights and computers in the car.

The failure modes in both the Prius and Tesla are very similar to each other: If the battery is failing, it typically drops its output voltage from the usual 12 - 12.3V or so down to below 11V. As the voltage degrades, various hunks of electronics looks at that too-low voltage and fails. Which means that one can have a perfectly healthy traction battery but, without 12V, one is going nowhere.

Thing is, speaking as a EE who was part of the buck-stops-here crowd of analyzing hardware failures, if you've had one ka-pop! of error messages already, it's highly likely you're going to have a second, a third, or maybe just One More and that'll be all she wrote. And where that happens is likely to be in the middle of nowhere (tm). The phrase, "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" comes to mind.

On the one hand, it's just a blame 12V battery. On the other hand, it's not, quite. Most 12V car batteries are designed to be able to dump out a significant number of amps in order to crank the ICE in cold weather; neither Teslas nor Priuses do that. (The Priuse's traction battery uses one of the motors to turn over the ICE, and either of the motors on that car are 'way more powerful than the usual ICE starter motor.)

If memory serves, the Tesla's and Prius's batteries are both AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). When my Prius's battery failed one day on a shopping trip, I had the SO bring some tools and jumper cables, got the battery up a bit, started the car, drove straight to an Advanced Auto store, and got a replacement off the shelves. They loaned the tools and I had the Prius's battery replaced in a trice; when I sold the car, two years ago, that battery was still in there.

Let's see, 50k miles: I'm going to guess and say you're got a 2019 M3 or something. Check Advanced Auto: $260 something for a Diehard.

So you can get one, but it's expensive.

The only other problem... Sometimes, it's not a dead battery, but a dead battery charging circuit. You might want to look at the error codes to make sure. If it is, then getting a new battery will fix things just long enough for that battery to run down.

Good luck!

Age is a much bigger factor with lead-acid batteries than mileage. How many years old is it?

I received no warnings - one day my cabin lights just started fading and the MCU and windows went whacky. Then my car wouldn't start - hence starting this thread.

Menards has the correct battery size for around $130. I wouldn't go 11 days if you're getting a warning now. Also worth noting is that usually this battery replacement would be something that a service center could do as a walk-in same day, if you live near a service center, since it affects the overall operation of the vehicle.

My 2018 M3 had a fault, not 12V related, warranty handled, back in the day. The Service Center replaced the battery as part of the repair. That's not the biggie.

The more interesting story is my previous car, a 2010 Toyota Prius. In many ways, the hardware architecture of the Prius mirrors that of the Tesla: There's a traction battery that, full-on, runs the two electric motors in the thing, and a high voltage to low voltage DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery that runs all the lights and computers in the car.

The failure modes in both the Prius and Tesla are very similar to each other: If the battery is failing, it typically drops its output voltage from the usual 12 - 12.3V or so down to below 11V. As the voltage degrades, various hunks of electronics looks at that too-low voltage and fails. Which means that one can have a perfectly healthy traction battery but, without 12V, one is going nowhere.

Thing is, speaking as a EE who was part of the buck-stops-here crowd of analyzing hardware failures, if you've had one ka-pop! of error messages already, it's highly likely you're going to have a second, a third, or maybe just One More and that'll be all she wrote. And where that happens is likely to be in the middle of nowhere (tm). The phrase, "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" comes to mind.

On the one hand, it's just a blame 12V battery. On the other hand, it's not, quite. Most 12V car batteries are designed to be able to dump out a significant number of amps in order to crank the ICE in cold weather; neither Teslas nor Priuses do that. (The Priuse's traction battery uses one of the motors to turn over the ICE, and either of the motors on that car are 'way more powerful than the usual ICE starter motor.)

If memory serves, the Tesla's and Prius's batteries are both AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). When my Prius's battery failed one day on a shopping trip, I had the SO bring some tools and jumper cables, got the battery up a bit, started the car, drove straight to an Advanced Auto store, and got a replacement off the shelves. They loaned the tools and I had the Prius's battery replaced in a trice; when I sold the car, two years ago, that battery was still in there.

Let's see, 50k miles: I'm going to guess and say you're got a 2019 M3 or something. Check Advanced Auto: $260 something for a Diehard.

The only other problem... Sometimes, it's not a dead battery, but a dead battery charging circuit. You might want to look at the error codes to make sure. If it is, then getting a new battery will fix things just long enough for that battery to run down.

Good luck!
I have the Prius as well. Their AGM batteries are superb and lasts 10+ years. On the other hand, the Tesla 12V AGM lasts only up to 3 years? I suppose they aren't getting enough juice to last much longer.

Adding one piece of up to date anecdata- 3.75 year old battery from manufacturing date, 4100 miiles on car. Always garaged in N. California.

My 12V went bad right before me heading out on a trip.

Mobile service had come out the week before for rear-cam recall, and when asked specifically if I should preemptively replace it, he said to just wait until it put up errors. I'm not quite sure why I agreed to that, because their 12v monitoring software seems to suck like a lot of their 'automatic' stuff.

Battery threw errors, but was driveable, but car would no longer go to sleep because it would not be able to restart the contactors. Drove down to service center, and they replaced it without much trouble. And no appointment. 30 minutes.

Battery was $130 replaced, and they did not warranty the battery, it was charged as normal wear and tear.

Adding one piece of up to date anecdata- 3.75 year old battery from manufacturing date, 4100 miiles on car. Always garaged in N. California.

My 12V went bad right before me heading out on a trip.

Mobile service had come out the week before for rear-cam recall, and when asked specifically if I should preemptively replace it, he said to just wait until it put up errors. I'm not quite sure why I agreed to that, because their 12v monitoring software seems to suck like a lot of their 'automatic' stuff.

Battery threw errors, but was driveable, but car would no longer go to sleep because it would not be able to restart the contactors. Drove down to service center, and they replaced it without much trouble. And no appointment. 30 minutes.

Battery was $130 replaced, and they did not warranty the battery, it was charged as normal wear and tear.
Good thing the battery pooped out before your trip and not during. I had mine proactively replaced just before 4 years for $120 and at around 23.5K miles (June 2022). Car is NOT garaged; it sits outside in the cold and hot. The mobile tech said that I could keep the old battery as it was replaced on my dime and that if it was a warranty replacement, they would have to take it.

I have the Prius as well. Their AGM batteries are superb and lasts 10+ years. On the other hand, the Tesla 12V AGM lasts only up to 3 years? I suppose they aren't getting enough juice to last much longer.
Um. "Ha!". The first AGM OEM battery that came with the Prius failed at two years. The one from Advanced Auto is, as far as I know, still going strong 11 years later.

Of course, that 2010 Prius was actually built in the fall of 2009 and was in the first batch of Gen 3 Priuses, so maybe Toyota had a pallet of bad ones or something.

Good luck!
We got the car in Nov 2018, so coming up on 5 years. All the warnings say battery failure, and they are turning off non-essential services, so none of my USB ports are working now, can't keep my phone charged or run the USB drive for the camera. Advance Auto has a 51R battery with the vent port in the right place for $180 (https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ry-bci-group-size-51r-460-cca-51rs/750091_0_0)... hate to spend extra for something Tesla will replace for $110, but on the other hand I don't like the idea of being without the car for almost 2 weeks, so I might just bite the bullet.
Thanks!